Mike Keith - The Moon Pie King

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It's called a likeness comparison, not an insult to your existence or your taste buds.

As a connoisseur of cheap junk food, my palate demanded the correction.  Moon Pies is on the low end of cheap cookie cakes.  That's why people from the north, east and west have never heard of them.  Eating one is not something you want to talk about.  EXCEPT, when you go to the Moon Pie Festival.  Then they is mighty fine eating with a cold RC Cola which you have probably never heard of either if you don't live within 300 miles. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moon pies suck

They have this in Bell Buckle every year.  It's always hot as hell.  You see bunches of people walking eating a Moon Pie and drinking a RC Cola.  The bottle will be frosted, makes you want one like yo

I've always said soda, especially Pepsi or Coke, is so dependent taste wise on A)what food you drink it with, if you are eating. And more importantly, B)what you drink it out of. A can or glass bottle

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

As a connoisseur of cheap junk food, my palate demanded the correction.  Moon Pies is on the low end of cheap cookie cakes.  That's why people from the north, east and west have never heard of them.  Eating one is not something you want to talk about.  EXCEPT, when you go to the Moon Pie Festival.  Then they is mighty fine eating with a cold RC Cola which you have probably never heard of either if you don't live within 300 miles. 

Pffffft. You know how I know you're full of crap? No cola type drink tastes mighty fine, no matter what kind of pastry you happen to be eating. They all taste like shit when washing it down.

Moon Pies aren't the greatest pastry ever made, but your selling them short due to your whoopie bias.

19 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

whoopie bias.

I think all men are biased toward making whoopie.  I think you just need to go to the Moon Pie Festival.  Walk around three hours in 95+ degree heat, eat a Moon Pie, then drink a RC Cola.  Yeah.  Do that and you'll say "that was mighty fine."

51 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think all men are biased toward making whoopie.  I think you just need to go to the Moon Pie Festival.  Walk around three hours in 95+ degree heat, eat a Moon Pie, then drink a RC Cola.  Yeah.  Do that and you'll say "that was mighty fine."

I'm from TN. We are a moon pie festival unto ourselves.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, NashvilleNinja said:

They're sorta like whoopie pies, but use graham cracker-like cookies instead the whoopie's more cake-like cookies. Moon pies also use marshmallow filling instead of cream filling. Moon Pies are also dipped in various flavor coatings like vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, etc.

https://moonpie.com

Kinda odd you've never heard of them. They originated from a bakery in Chattanooga so of course they're more prominent in the south, but still... they're kinda famous all over.

Kind of like GooGoo Clusters, they are more well known locally/regionally. 

When my grandfather was serving in Europe his Army PX stocked GooGoos (at least for a while). He was the only one buying them so the guy running it just gave him the rest. I suspect he was the only Tennessean in his unit. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, Starkiller said:

Kind of like GooGoo Clusters, they are more well known locally/regionally. 

When my grandfather was serving in Europe his Army PX stocked GooGoos (at least for a while). He was the only one buying them so the guy running it just gave him the rest. I suspect he was the only Tennessean in his unit. 

I was friends with a guy who worked at Standard Candy for a brief stint and said you would never touch another GooGoo Cluster if you saw the inside of the factory; probably true about a lot of processed food items.

27 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

I was friends with a guy who worked at Standard Candy for a brief stint and said you would never touch another GooGoo Cluster if you saw the inside of the factory; probably true about a lot of processed food items.

Wouldn’t shock me at all. You often don’t want to know how your food is made. 

I have a friend who took a high school summer job in the meat department at a Krogers. After just 1 day he quit and became a vegetarian. 

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Wouldn’t shock me at all. You often don’t want to know how your food is made. 

I have a friend who took a high school summer job in the meat department at a Krogers. After just 1 day he quit and became a vegetarian. 

That's a bit extreme, I don't know what the hell happens in a grocery store that would possibly make someone want to do that. It's not like cutting up an already dead piece of meat is damning. Besides seafood it's not like you ever have to see the heads.

I've worked in different meat dept's over the years when I was younger and there wasn't a single thing I've seen that seemed "behind the scenes" and stuff you wouldn't want to know.

7 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's a bit extreme, I don't know what the hell happens in a grocery store that would possibly make someone want to do that. It's not like cutting up an already dead piece of meat is damning. Besides seafood it's not like you ever have to see the heads.

I've worked in different meat dept's over the years when I was younger and there wasn't a single thing I've seen that seemed "behind the scenes" and stuff you wouldn't want to know.

There’s a reason why they say you never want to learn how the sausage gets made...

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

There’s a reason why they say you never want to learn how the sausage gets made...

I get that... Grocery stores have absolutely nothing to do with any of those extreme processes.

I highly doubt your local Kroger takes full animals and butchers/grinds them up on location where your buddy would have worked. Most grocery stores that do the work with casing sausages, it is already in what you would consider reasonable looking meat already.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

24 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I get that... Grocery stores have absolutely nothing to do with any of those extreme processes.

I highly doubt your local Kroger takes full animals and butchers/grinds them up on location where your buddy would have worked. Most grocery stores that do the work with casing sausages, it is already in what you would consider reasonable looking meat already.

It has nothing to do with being a grocery store. It has everything to do with being a meat department. A butchers shop would have been the same for him. 

Nor did it literally have anything to do with sausage. It’s just a saying...