Delanie Walker in a contract year. Possible extension before the season?

I know Jrob has a lot of people to sign coming up but Delanie has been a key piece of this teams offense and is entering a contract year. He is 33 and is set to make 5.4 mill in 2018 and will be an UFA in 2019. Does anyone think he could be extended before the season or will Jrob let it play out and possibly let him walk next year? Personally id love to see them add another 2-3 years to his deal now to lock him down and hopefully have him retire here(he has vocally said he wants to retire here) Looking at the average per year for the top 10 TE I think it would take getting him into the top 6 to keep him(he’s currently 13) That would mean adding at least 3.1mill to this years salary and the extension would need to average 8.5+ per year. The Titans still have 33.7 mill in space this year so theoretically they could frontload his deal and give him a big boost this season and still extend Lewan. Personally I think they should try and extend him. He is one of the main veteran leaders on this team, has great chemistry with Mariota, and is definitely his favorite target. Thoughts?

3C233ECA-7E18-4590-B1B9-77042B91D742.thumb.jpeg.f2db6599058671b845a5d641cff2bff6.jpeg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you have to deal with Lewan first, but Delanie is a huge part of the soul and character of the team. I’d sign him to a 3 year contract in a heartbeat. 

I don’t think we’ve seen enough from Smith to really say he is an adequate replacement. 

I know Jrob has a lot of people to sign coming up but Delanie has been a key piece of this teams offense and is entering a contract year. He is 33 and is set to make 5.4 mill in 2018 and will be an UF

Posted Images

Unless DW agrees to a sweetheart extension, I think he plays out the contract.

He might have been on the decline last year (if we remove the blue tinted glasses). Often the decline accelerates pretty damn quick. 

If I am JRob, I let the year play out and reassess. 

Edited by ChemEngr79

11 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

Unless DW agrees to a sweetheart extension, I think he plays out the contract.

He might have been on the decline last year (if we remove the blue tinted glasses). Often the decline accelerates pretty damn quick. 

If I am JRob, I let the year play out and reassess. 

His stats were very similar to 2016. He had less TDs but everything else was very similar. Plus the entire offense was garbage. 

5 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

No reason to rush 

Well they have a lot of signings coming up the next 3 years. They have the room to give him a nice pay raise for this season to frontload an extension and still pay Lewan. That $ might not be there next year when other guys are getting extensions too. 

10 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

They’ll let him walk and get a comp 3rd

won't meet the requirements for a 3rd round comp pick, not enough $$$ or contract length 

3rd round comp picks are only for the top tier FA contracts, Orakpo/Morgan/Walker would get no where near 3rd round compensation if they left in FA.

He appears to be leaner so it’s possible that he can play at a high level for additional years.. but it will be time for Smith to play more also .. so if he’s comfortable splitting reps w Smith, I’d extend him at about the same deal he has

One factor for Walkers future would be the development of Smith. If they feel Smith is ready to be a TE1 after this season I could see us moving on. I think we give him a 2-3 year extension. I don’t think he should get more than $8.5 mil per year. He isn’t quite in that top tier of TEs. 

3 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

My guess is JRob would rather let him leave a little too soon than a little too late.

Agree, but that’s why you frontload the deal. He isn’t going to drop off a cliff this year. If he does next year then we could cut him going into 2020 without any cap implications. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Agree, but that’s why you frontload the deal. He isn’t going to drop off a cliff this year. If he does next year then we could cut him going into 2020 without any cap implications. 

The structure of the contract has become far more important than the actual numbers now days.