Gil Brandt rates the Titans the 5th best roster in the NFL

5 TITANS

General manager Jon Robinson deserves a lot of credit for taking what was probably one of the worst teams in the NFL in 2015 and turning it into a legitimate Super Bowl contender three years later. The ground attack features a pair of studs in Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis, while the 13th-ranked defense -- which was led by Jurrell Casey and Kevin Byard -- will get a boost from the additions of free-agent Malcolm Butler and rookies Rashaan Evans and Harold Landry. I'm counting on Marcus Mariota taking another step forward at quarterback, and I'm placing my faith in new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur to help this offense develop further. The offensive line is very, very good -- Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin are among the best in football. Receiver is something of a question mark, but I think Corey Davis has a chance to show something if he can stay healthy. Mike Vrabel will be phenomenal as a head coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936085/article/nfls-10-most-talented-teams-eagles-jaguars-lead-the-way

I think Robinson has done a very solid job. He's made his fair share of mistakes and he did start off with Lewan, Mariota and the #1 pick. Most importantly he understands how to build a roster, Webster had no clue. 

23 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I think Robinson has done a very solid job. He's made his fair share of mistakes and he did start off with Lewan, Mariota and the #1 pick. Most importantly he understands how to build a roster, Webster had no clue. 

The Dodd pick obviously looks to be a mistake... but i'm not sure what else he couldve done better. 

lattimore instead of davis i assume... but give both their second/third years before judging. lattimore missed games and already has a concussion. he got beat a whole lot but caught a lot of ints too because he was tested more and the saints were putting teams in position to pass. davis was injured all year and the offensive scheme was preschool dumb.  

15 minutes ago, titanruss said:

The Dodd pick obviously looks to be a mistake... but i'm not sure what else he couldve done better. 

lattimore instead of davis i assume... but give both their second/third years before judging. lattimore missed games and already has a concussion. he got beat a whole lot but caught a lot of ints too because he was tested more and the saints were putting teams in position to pass. davis was injured all year and the offensive scheme was preschool dumb.  

Give that a few years 

No GM bats anywhere close to 1.000;  every team has its share of misses, both in the draft and in free agency.  

People can can criticize  missteps all they want...but the bottom line: is the team improving and becoming demonstrably better?   For the Titans and JRob, the answer appears to be a resounding "yes".

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

You could argue that when you have a QB and an LT you don't have to take chances on your roster. You draft polished players and don't draft for the future.

Brandt at least looked into things a little more closely and didn't just do the same ole "national Titans narrative" reporting here.  I should probably pay a little closer attention to some of his stuff.

Jrob has his crew in there now.  His moves before this year can be debated, but his tenure doesn't even actually start for me until game 1 this year.  He dam sure looks and feels the part though-exciting time to be a true Titans fan.

He said this on air two weeks ago when they were doing a Hidden Gem special on XM 

i called and said Cruikshank and he went on about him then proceeded to spend about 7-8 minutes raving about our roster top to bottom and is a big Vrabel believer

9 hours ago, nine said:

5 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

He said this on air two weeks ago when they were doing a Hidden Gem special on XM 

i called and said Cruikshank and he went on about him then proceeded to spend about 7-8 minutes raving about our roster top to bottom and is a big Vrabel believer

He ranked Cruikshank higher than the ILB that Indy drafted early in the 2nd round.

If JRob picked Henry Hunter or Michael Thomas in place of Dodd, then he would be walking on water right now...Instead he has only been really freaking good.

Dodd is his only significant draft blemish. Williams is his only moderate FA miss and his ass was sent packing PDQ...

The future is bright.

15 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Minus a good QB the Browns have those most of the time and they cant seem to figure out WTF to do. 

14 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Our roster is very solid. We lack elite talent but have quality players at every position. 

There's potential though for this team to have several elite players at this time next year.  There's lots of very good players, probably 1 already elite player (Lewan) but those good players, particularly the young ones definitely have elite level talent.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:54 AM, titanruss said:

I think you could even wait until the second contracts.  Davis/Ajax vs Lattimore is the only way you can evaluate the pick because we had an absolute need of a #1 receiver for our franchise QB.  JRob's responsibility is the construct a winning roster.  

34 minutes ago, titantez said:

I think as bad as Mularkey's offense was, it hid flaws.I think this team backed into the playoffs and took advantage of a TE that got knocked out of the game,to win a playoff game.

I think this team is worse from a coaching stand point and has serious issues in it's defensive front,that DLB hid thru Exotic blitzes.

This team will be lucky to have a winning record.

We win more games and are a much better team last season with a different staff. Our personnel carried us to the playoffs despite our coaches. 

We we definitely got lucky because of Kelce’s injury. 

Archived