Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

NFL Execs Unimpressed with Titans Offseason

Jonboy   

This one is a little surprising to me. I'm not even that high on Vrabel, but several of the critiques here seem bizarre.

Insider only article, but here are the high points:

- C+ grade (ranks 21st)

- Grade low bc Titans traded up twice and came away with league-low, 4 draft selections

- Should you attempt to outsmart the league at the expense of a baseline number of picks? I understand these arguments, but as long as you aren't doing it every year and already have a pretty solid roster in place, I don't mind it. 

- Hired an unproven HC I agree here.

- Should be better equipped to maximize Mariota Yep, and speaking of this...isn't this the single most important aspect of the offseason anyway? That alone should give them a higher grade.

- Signed "small" CB in Butler and a "small" RB in Lewis; exec here says he isn't a big fan "especially for a team that wants to be a power team." Does this exec know Mularkey is gone? Have Vrabel or LaFleur said we want to be a "power" team?

- Exec is interested to see if Vrabel is a better HC than DC 

- Should have nice depth in secondary

- Like Luke Falk pick; exec feels he has potential to be a solid #2

Colts and Jags both had better grades. They actually gave the Colts a B-, which is hilarious to me. To be fair, the paragraphs on Indy sound much more harsh than ours despite the higher grade. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/23696198/nfl-offseason-grades-all-32-teams-nfl-executives

-So the grade is low because they traded up and ended with 2 first round worthy defensive players, a solid S/CB hybrid and a Backup QB when they only had those holes to fill. They are mad the Titans didn’t draft camp fodder in the later rounds when they didn’t have those holes to fill?

-The Retread head coaching trend is over with. Tons of teams hiring young unproven guys. Pederson,McVay, Shannahan, Reich, Nagy, Vrabel, Shurmur, Patricia, Wilks.... I’m sure I missed a few. 

-Should be better equipped to play to Mariota’s strengths is a good move. They hired an Oc with a good history with QB success in this league. 

-Butler and Lewis are exactly what they needed and both ranked high in their positions last year iirc.

was this exec Michael Lombardi by any chance?  ESPN sure has gotten shitty in the last few years. 

Dinx81   

We only had 6 picks to begin with. Fewer holes to fill than the last few years. Vrabel has coaching experience. Dont care about the "size" of a player but if they can play. 

OILERMAN   
24 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Does this exec know Mularkey is gone? Have Vrabel of LaFleur said we want to be a "power" team?

Pretty much yes they have. In fact LaFluer's statements are a lot like Mularkey's in terms of running the ball and the offense

Nash   

Actually every play with the qb under center will start out the same, regardless of whether it's a run or pass...however, the blocking will be different, so running yes, but more sweeps and cutback styler as opposed to straight ahead plays..

Jonboy   
9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Pretty much yes they have. In fact LaFluer's statements are a lot like Mularkey's in terms of running the ball and the offense

Isn't it going to be a zone blocking scheme?

scine09   
13 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

.......no

Tim   
12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Power offense but there will be quite a bit of differences in pass routes and play calls. Thank God. Otherwise Mularkey wouldn’t have been told to change his offense or be fired. 

8MM   

Interesting that they plan to go under center for the most part when every practice drill seen looks like out of shotgun.

scine09   
10 minutes ago, Tim said:

Power offense but there will be quite a bit of differences in pass routes and play calls. Thank God. Otherwise Mularkey wouldn’t have been told to change his offense or be fired. 

It's amazing that people think the offenses will be even remotely similar.  They're about as different as you'll find.  First off, the run blocking scheme is completely different.  And the passing will be totally different.  One asks for max blocking with little creativity in the route running.  The other, while the formation may look similar, involves quicker decision making with more options.

Also, we won't see the constant 2nd down runs.  To me that, along with the increase in available options for Mariota and less predictability based on formations, will be the 3 biggest upgrades to the offense.

21 minutes ago, scine09 said:

It's amazing that people think the offenses will be even remotely similar.  They're about as different as you'll find.  First off, the run blocking scheme is completely different.  And the passing will be totally different.  One asks for max blocking with little creativity in the route running.  The other, while the formation may look similar, involves quicker decision making with more options.

Also, we won't see the constant 2nd down runs.  To me that, along with the increase in available options for Mariota and less predictability based on formations, will be the 3 biggest upgrades to the offense.

I hated those 2nd down runs on 2nd and long. Was terribly predictable and always put Mariota in a 3rd and long where he'd have to bail us out with only 2-3 routes. Don't know how he put together the season he did last year with the offense.

scine09   
3 minutes ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

I hated those 2nd down runs on 2nd and long. Was terribly predictable and always put Mariota in a 3rd and long where he'd have to bail us out with only 2-3 routes. Don't know how he put together the season he did last year with the offense.

That was the angriest I'd get during the game.  The runs on 2nd and long.  I'd just say what a waste of a play.  

It's fine once in a while to catch a team off balance.  But on 2nd down and any decent distance it should be a well over 50% pass situation.  

Edited by scine09

One big difference is the marriage of the running and passing games. Our run and pass games were like two different offenses bolted together and it became predictable to defenses. 

Anyway, even with this changes I actually think it’s more likely that we don’t have a better outcome than last year. We’d have to make it to the AFC championship game to improve on the season. 

It’s more likely the team looks better but doesn’t have an improved outcome. But even that isn’t a sure thing. A lot can go wrong.