Sign in to follow this  
heyitsmeallen

The new use of helmet rule explained with video examples.

Soxcat   

Not a horrible rule but there will be inconsistency and possibly cost teams games.  Like any penalty the refs just need to call this when it is obvious and never when there is any doubt.  

Inconsistency will happen for sure but I saw nothing wrong with any of those hits being illegal. Or the later ones being ejections.

Don't lower the helmet.

You would think you wouldn't have to tell anyone after watching Shaziers dumbass.

Its protecting the hitter just as much as protecting the ball carrier/catcher.

Learn to tackle instead of just trying to hit with your helmet.

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Lavelle Hawkins was my dude. Wish he was better haha

Yeah, he seemed like he might actually turn into something, but alas... he was just another in a long list of failed receiving prospects for this franchise.

In the last 20 years only maybe 3 homegrown recievers amounted to anything for us. Mason, Dyson, and Bennett. From Isaac Byrd, to Roydell Williams, to Dorial Green Beckham... we've wasted so many resources on never-was bums. But not just through poor scouting/drafting lest we forget about Snappy Twigpen and Carla Brokeins.

Number9   
3 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Gonna be a lot of flags flying this year. 

It is just about the same rule.  A player can't lower his head and lead with his helmet.  That rule was arbitrary in it's enforcement and this looks the same.  I don't see why they don't invest in those helmets, except all football players would want them and they cost too much.  Middle school, high school and colleges would want them down the line from the NFL.  Alabama can afford them, but MTSU could have a hard time.

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

It is just about the same rule.  A player can't lower his head and lead with his helmet.  That rule was arbitrary in it's enforcement and this looks the same.  I don't see why they don't invest in those helmets, except all football players would want them and they cost too much.  Middle school, high school and colleges would want them down the line from the NFL.  Alabama can afford them, but MTSU could have a hard time.

If they are making that many of them, the price would drop significantly

thwy don’t want those helmets because their main sponsor doesn’t have the patent for them. 

Its money. They don’t care about safety. Players could die on the field but if it didn’t hurt profits then nothing would change. 

Number9   
1 hour ago, titanruss said:

If they are making that many of them, the price would drop significantly

thwy don’t want those helmets because their main sponsor doesn’t have the patent for them. 

Its money. They don’t care about safety. Players could die on the field but if it didn’t hurt profits then nothing would change. 

Forgot about that. 

Justafan   

It's better than I thought it would be.  I heard some people talking about penalizing offensive lineman for leading with the head while blocking.  That would have been excessive. 

im not a fan of the rule in just about any of the first 3 examples given.

1st example: you've gotta get your body mass low to keep them from getting more yards when their body mass is low. 

next two examples were pretty ticky tacky

for the ejections.. year i get that. especially if you target their head. 

the NFL needs to do a better job of implementing and establishing these rules all the way down to pee wee league. they need to have real youth leagues where kids learn the fundamentals early. 

most kids are taught to  "put a helmet on the ball" when tackling. 

Number9   

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

most kids are taught to  "put a helmet on the ball" when tackling. 

That's why the helmet is hard in the first place.  

Back in the old days, Grambling came to town to play TSU.  I grew up over there and we used to play little pickup games on the field.  After that game, there were three Grambling helmets left under their bench.  I went over to see one and they were busted to smithereens.  I mean smashed up like Humpty Dumpty.  This was back when TSU would send huge numbers of players to the pros, Grambling too.

Edited by Number9