Bleacher Report ranks the Titans WR corps 31st in the league.

This list is a joke.  They aren’t top 10 but they damn sure aren’t 31st

31. Tennessee Titans

Receivers: Rishard Matthews, Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Tajae Sharpe, Darius Jennings, Zach Pascal, Michael Campanaro, Deontay Burnett

Tight Ends: Delanie Walker, Jonnu Smith, Luke Stocker, Phillip Supernaw

The Tennessee Titans have done little to put a quality receiving corps around Marcus Mariota. Tight end Delanie Walker is a Pro Bowl pass-catcher, but there isn't much in the way of proven talent aside from him.

Tennessee parted with Eric Decker, who was second on the team with 54 receptions last season. Rishard Matthews was the team's leading wideout in terms of yardage (795), but he's a No. 2 at best on virtually any other roster. Corey Davis showed some glimpses as a rookie, but if Tennessee is counting on him to be its No. 1 receiver, it could be sorely disappointed.

Davis appeared in 11 games last season and only finished with 34 receptions and 375 yards.

The Titans passing attack should get a boost from the presence of offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, who served under McVay with the Rams last season. However, LaFleur and Mariota aren't going to have a lot to work with.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont know, you list them and without the upside of Davis, its a pretty bad/unproven group for a team that is supposed to be making noise this year...

From the outside, it's fair. They're unproven, not deep and only have one guy who has a truly high ceiling.   If the unproven turns to proven well, they stay healthy and the system supports.

Their lists are trash.  Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Indy, Seattle, Dallas are teams that I can think of off the top of my head with worse receivers, since we are including TE.  BR listed T. Taylor as

If you are looking at just the WRs then I can’t argue too much. 

But if if you are only looking at the starters, including TEs, I’d say Walker, Davis, and Matthews should be quite good. It’s all the backups I have no faith in.

From the outside, it's fair. They're unproven, not deep and only have one guy who has a truly high ceiling.

If the unproven turns to proven well, they stay healthy and the system supports... they'll be fine. Titans fans expect all of this work out because rose colored glasses. And all of it can work out.

But if Corey goes down for any meaningful period, if Corey is only decent, if Taywan doesn't progress at reading defenses, if we have have to rely on Tajea overly much or if Matthews sits out in protest... we'll be in significant trouble. All of it could blow up in the team's face.

An outsider can reasonably say unproven means you have nothing. It's just how these things work.

JRob is confident in his guys. We'll see if it works out this year... if not he'll look like an idiot. What will be interesting is if the offense stalls how much the team seems to lay that on Mariota. It often slips the mind that Mariota isn't a JRob guy and is one more bad season from being viewed as a big disappointment (bust? depending on how bad it is).

Rishard has proven in the past to be a pretty solid WR. Low end #1 at times, mostly a solid #2. Our depth is unproven, and CD is still a relative question mark. I absolutely disagree with the OP article on CD. He is going to be a beast. 

This list ost has little merit, unless you’re really nitpicking. 

34 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

rose colored glasses.

Where?  I love me some rose colored glasses.

6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

We couldn't even get open last year. Even with Mularkey's shit passing schemes you'd expect an NFL receiver to get open at least once in a while.

It has to be viewed as a function of the entire offense,  Over reliance on Murray, an OC who says he saw a hole and will run the same play repeatedly until his RB sees the hole, being forced to pass off-schedule and predictability.  It took a lot for Titans receivers to not get open once in a while, as you say.  The real problem was the Titans were a running team that couldn't run the ball well.

22 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'll say this however.  JRob doesn't seem real concerned based on the draft and free agents.

In Mularkey's defense we had Decker playing like crap a good part of the year (dropped a bunch of balls late in the year) and Davis was obviously slow to get on track.  You play teams with decent coverage guys and it is going to be hard for two rookies (one who doesn't play or is hobbled) to get open.  Could the coaching staff done more to open things up?  Maybe but their strength wasn't exactly with the boat load of WR talent we had.  Davis and Taylor obviously need to be a difference this year.

I don't mind agreeing with you there.  I still think the scheme didn't help the receivers.  This is a perfect year coming up.  There are no excuses left for anybody.

36 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Rishard has proven in the past to be a pretty solid WR. Low end #1 at times, mostly a solid #2. Our depth is unproven, and CD is still a relative question mark. I absolutely disagree with the OP article on CD. He is going to be a beast. 

This list ost has little merit, unless you’re really nitpicking. 

Well, when they only proven guy we have at WR is a "low end #1 at times, mostly a solid #2" it's hard to complain about a low ranking. I like the young guys but Davis and company haven't proven a damn thing.

Don't have an issue with the ranking. Talent wise, we can be better than that, but right now its an unproven group.

Disagree with the Pats being #1 though. Both Edelman and Mitchell are coming off season ending injuries. Its mostly veteran castoffs after that.

Tbh I see his point and its about right.  Davis was in/off injury most of the season,  Mathews is reliable and our passing never amounted to much thanks to the previous coaching staff.  Going deep was never an option for us last year and our best passing came out with Marcus no huddling thus Mathews and delanie being our best receivers.  

This year I'm confident bleacher is gonna be surprised and be in the top 15 - 10 at a push