Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Number9

Tree berries falling in neighbor's yard.

Recommended Posts

Number9   

I have a tree that's on the property line.  The neighbors saw me having a lot of trees cut on the property, now they want me to pay to cut the tree limbs over their yard.  They could have got it done very reasonable when I had my tree man there cutting, but they wanted me to pay.  Now, they say they want to get some bids and want me to pay half.  It's my understanding the tree in their air space and it's their responsibility.  If apples grew on the tree, the ones over their yard would belong to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
1 hour ago, abenjami said:

Be grateful they are offering to pay half to trim your own tree. 

 

If I was your neighbor I’d poison your tree and then call the fire department to report the fire hazard. 

Glad I don't live next to you.  Actually it's rental property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, abenjami said:

Be grateful they are offering to pay half to trim your own tree. 

 

If I was your neighbor I’d poison your tree and then call the fire department to report the fire hazard. 

Well that wouldn’t be smart. According to law you would be responsible for up to 3x the value of the tree. 

Quote

You may not go onto the neighbor's property or destroy the tree. If you do harm the tree, you could be found liable for up to three times the value of the tree. Most trees have a replacement value of between $500 and $2500. Ornamental or landmark trees can have a value of between $20,000 and $60,000.

 

https://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/conflicts-involving-trees-and-neighbors.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abenjami   
7 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Well that wouldn’t be smart. According to law you would be responsible for up to 3x the value of the tree. 

 

https://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/conflicts-involving-trees-and-neighbors.html

 

Obviously you poison the tree in secrecy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
On 5/19/2018 at 9:31 AM, abenjami said:

Obviously you poison the tree in secrecy...

It sounds like you have experience.  If not a tree, maybe the neighbor's dog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abenjami   
1 hour ago, Number9 said:

It sounds like you have experience.  If not a tree, maybe the neighbor's dog?

No, I love dogs.  And when I have had issues with noisy dogs in the past, I have been able to peacefully resolve them with my neighbors without seeking advice from strangers on the internet ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, abenjami said:

No, I love dogs.  And when I have had issues with noisy dogs in the past, I have been able to peacefully resolve them with my neighbors without seeking advice from strangers on the internet ;)

Were we really strangers? I mean, I know a lot of us haven’t ever met in person but we have been discussing football, and other various topics for over a decade. So we are only half strangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
12 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Were we really strangers? I mean, I know a lot of us haven’t ever met in person but we have been discussing football, and other various topics for over a decade. So we are only half strangers.

Yep.  I still rearrange unimportant detail about personal issues.  Sometimes, I think guys go too far.  Didn't somebody have VD?  It's a very common disease, but I wouldn't tell everybody.  But we're all friends, that's why I don't like to get in the Politics section.  We all seem sensible, then over there some members look borderline not nice people.  I believe different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 10:54 PM, Number9 said:

I have a tree that's on the property line.  The neighbors saw me having a lot of trees cut on the property, now they want me to pay to cut the tree limbs over their yard.  They could have got it done very reasonable when I had my tree man there cutting, but they wanted me to pay.  Now, they say they want to get some bids and want me to pay half.  It's my understanding the tree in their air space and it's their responsibility.  If apples grew on the tree, the ones over their yard would belong to them.

I'm gonna echo what others have said. Just try to be the best neighbor. 

 

My neighbor recently had another neighbor's tree fall and nearly total his vehicle. His insurance company put the liability on the neighbor. The neighbor's insurance company said that it was "an act of God" not covered under the policy. While both are right, both ideas seem kinda asshole. The neighbor that has the tree is actually a farm (and it was thus determined that the farmer couldn't reasonably predict that the tree would topple during a storm because no one physically resides at the large farm.)

 

So both neighbors decided the equitable thing to do would be to split the cost of repairing the damaged vehicle. That seems very fair to me too. In your case, split the cost to be fair. Maybe one day you'll need that fairness on your side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×