Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

Starkiller

1 hour ago, GoaTTitanMcNair9 said:

Housing and food prices are getting out of control. Basic 1 bed apartments should not cost what they do. And the prices of meat, fruit, and nuts are outrageous. 

Nashville is a great example of how fucked up the system is. New condo buildings going up everywhere but many of the units sit unoccupied because nobody is willing to pay 300K for under 1k square feet of space. Friend of mine knows someone who sells condos and apparently many of these buildings are half empty.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We’re starting to learn what America’s biggest companies are doing with the huge windfalls from President Donald Trump’s tax cuts. And the answer is great for investors – but not so great for workers.

LOL @ the bank bailouts of the Obama administration.     Check and see what happened in September 2008 and who had been in the white house and controlled congress for 8 years.

The title is hyperbole, in itself, but the article quickly defines what it's considering.     My household falls within the upper middle class.  The 08 crash woke me up and we eliminated mos

12 minutes ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Nashville is a great example of how fucked up the system is. New condo buildings going up everywhere but many of the units sit unoccupied because nobody is willing to pay 300K for under 1k square feet of space. Friend of mine knows someone who sells condos and apparently many of these buildings are half empty.

Yeah I was looking into a home down in Clearwater Beach, FL a month ago and the prices on homes can easily go over half a million even for a home inland. A comparable size home up here I can get for around 80k. 

18 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So 18+ year olds living at home or with other family and needing their help for those places to live and food to eat is hyperbole?

Just because 50% arent homeless and dirt poor doesn't mean this isn't true.

There are a lot of ppl living with family that couldn't afford $500 rent and then some...

Just because ppl have a roof over their head doesn't mean this is hyperbole. Cmon.

Yes, it is hyperbole for two reasons. 

(1) There's a reason it didn't say, "Just over 40%" when the % they cited was 43%, and that reason was not to be more accurate. 

(2) The ALICE report never says "can't afford rent and food." It creates a new threshold that the poverty level doesn't consider, and that threshold not only considers rent and food, but also child care, health care, transportation, technology, and even a 10% "contingency" line in the budget. 

So, yes, it is hyperbole. I'm not saying there aren't poor people, and I'm not saying that there's not a problem with people being able to afford basic needs. I'm saying it's disingenuous to say that almost half of American families can't afford food and shelter, especially when the report it cites doesn't even say that.

1 minute ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Well, look at where it's from...

And I do believe that some of the things you don't believe the poverty level considers, has changed with the times. And believe that number to be damn close to that 43% if you really peeled back the layers on this country.

You also have to take into account how many of them families are affording rent and food and + by way of illegal gains...

Does the ALICE report take that into consideration? Or do they say "no one in this household has a job" so they can't afford to live?

And if you want to be really real about poverty and necessities. Having a roof over your head isn't a necessity. Just like electricity isn't. But I bet the "poverty level" does consider those things as necessities.

Hey FistShaker, no homers around tonight huh? Other than ole fat mom, no women around at home either huh? YANKIN TIME!

2 minutes ago, patsplat said:

If working adults can't afford their own place and are still living with their parents, that's an issue.

It is FistShaker? Oh, I forgot you said working. Lazy, worthless, message board obsessed fuck. 

24 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

And if you want to be really real about poverty and necessities. Having a roof over your head isn't a necessity. Just like electricity isn't. But I bet the "poverty level" does consider those things as necessities.

I'm really just saying the article was misleading. I don't care nor want it to be about anything. I just want accuracy in reporting instead of hyperbole.

Edited by siamesedinasour

13 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

I'm really just saying the article was misleading. I don't care nor want it to be about anything. I just want accuracy in reporting instead of hyperbole.

The article isn’t misleading. It’s pretty straightforward...

Just now, Starkiller said:

The article isn’t misleading. It’s pretty straightforward...

Did you read the ALICE report? If so, then you only have two options:

(1) the article was misleading, or

(2) words and numbers aren't important

because once again, the ALICE report NEVER SAYS ALMOST HALF OF AMERICANS CAN'T AFFORD RENT OR FOOD AND THAT IS THE REPORT THE ARTICLE REFERS TO. THAT IS EXAGGERATION AND HYPERBOLE. That's not even an opinion. Like, I can't even see how this is debatable. It's literally not there.

Just now, siamesedinasour said:

Did you read the ALICE report? If so, then you only have two options:

(1) the article was misleading, or

(2) words and numbers aren't important

because once again, the ALICE report NEVER SAYS ALMOST HALF OF AMERICANS CAN'T AFFORD RENT OR FOOD AND THAT IS THE REPORT THE ARTICLE REFERS TO. THAT IS EXAGGERATION AND HYPERBOLE. That's not even an opinion. Like, I can't even see how this is debatable. It's literally not there.

It isn’t exaggeration or hyperbole. The article states the facts quite plainly. 43% of households are either in poverty or making less income than they need to adequately afford the cost of living. What part of that is unclear?