Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

2017 offensive lines adjusted from running back performance

Justafan   

I expect they are better than those numbers indicate.  Teams clearly sold out to stop the run and there was, in my opinion, an issue with the blocking schemes that opponents figured out how to exploit.  The Titans were also very predictable based on their formations.  

The pass protection is likely much closer than the run blocking.  I expect the line to be closer to top ten this year, assuming the new blocking scheme is solid and barring more injuries beyond Conklin.  

Kyle021   

The only thing holding this team back this year is injuries to key players like MM, Lewis, Davis, Matthews, Walker, Lewan, Kline, Jones and any of the starters in the secondary and front seven. 

We are bound to have three starters be on IR at some point. Let’s just pray it’s not the QB, LT or pass rusher

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

There's no such thing as overpaying when you have the cap space to afford a guy and it doesn't hurt you in terms of signing other players.

Was a joke brah

4 hours ago, titanruss said:

So we overpaid for the NE rb by a lot 

I love the Lewis signing and think he's a perfect compliment to Henry and a very talented back. But if you look at his clips there is a lot of room to run.

The narrative that RBs create their own space is a false one, and that's one reason RB has become so devalued - too devalued if you ask me because great RB will get considerably more yardage than a mediocre one given the same play, but only if there is room. If the OL sucks the quality of RB makes little difference, and an excellent OL can make even an average RB seem pretty good. Folks still think Eddie George was a good running back because his OL was so dominant.

japan   
2 hours ago, scine09 said:

There's no such thing as overpaying when you have the cap space to afford a guy and it doesn't hurt you in terms of signing other players.

That's kind of a weird statement...

scine09   
4 minutes ago, japan said:

That's kind of a weird statement...

Why?  It's not your money or my money.  Who cares how much they pay these guys as long as it doesn't hurt their cap enough that they can't sign other players.  Right now the Titans still have among the most cap space in the league.  

Pretty much every free agent is overpaid anyways.  If you won't overpay you won't sign anyone of significance.

Mythos27   

I mean you can always technically "overpay" but enough cap room makes it fairly inconsequential. If Lewis does what I think he'll do, he'll be worth every penny.

Soxcat   

Based on Lewis productivity last year he wasn't really over paid.  $5 mil for a playmaker who can catch, run and return as well as he can isn't over paying at all.

His only question is staying healthy. 

Mythos27   
3 hours ago, japan said:

You overpay enough then you find you don't have enough cap room down the line. 

This could happen but only if you mismanage the cap. I would say overpaying for a player is akin to eating one donut. You're not going to gain 100 lbs and develop diabetes from eating one donut. It's when you routinely stuff yourself full of them and don't manage your health. To further the analogy, signing Dion Lewis is like eating one donut when your blood sugar was low; not a big deal in the big picture.