Panthers Release WR Russell Shepard

tgo

Shepard is one of the better ST WRs in the league, and I thought Robinson would pursue him last offseason when he was a free agent. He was with Tampa Bay while Robinson was there and is a team leader. 

But the Panthers way overpaid him and promised him a role on offense

Looks like the Panthers cut him for cap/value reasons. 

I think the Titans should pursue him as a reserve/ST receiver and we need veteran depth in that department as it is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson and Cowden look his direction. 

42 minutes ago, NewsToTom said:

I don't see how you'd keep both him and Campanaro up on a weekly basis, unless they see Campanaro as a 3 who plays teams instead of a teams guy who's a good 4/5.

Probably couldn’t, could always have them compete for a roster spot. 

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I agree.  Not sure what the excitement is about the guy.  He seems more like insurance if someone gets hurt than anything.  We should actually hope we aren't so bad he ends up making it.  If he does we have a real issue with someone like Taylor not developing.

You wouldn’t sign him to play on offense. He’d be competing with Campanaro to be your ST and emergency WR. 

Need a WR who plays well on coverage teams to be active on gameday. 

I'd think they need a vet in the Decker/Douglas type WR who can play on offense. They have 4 WRs and one of them is Taylor who was pretty unreliable and very unproven. They are an injury or two from a very thin weak WR core

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd think they need a vet in the Decker/Douglas type WR who can play on offense. They have 4 WRs and one of them is Taylor who was pretty unreliable and very unproven. They are an injury or two from a very thin weak WR core

This.   The team is in pretty good shape at PR/KR...and they don't need another #5-6 WR who may or may not be active on Sundays.   If another WR is brought in, I'm guessing it's an "experienced veteran presence" type.

Archived