What Titans team do you guys think was best? '99, '00, '02', '03, or '08.

Face

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a real tough time btwn '00 & '03. The '03 team had an incredible passing game & a very solid defense.    Their problem was McNair clearly wasn't the same after the calf injury,

The 2000 team was the best, but the 1999 team was hungrier. Kinda reminds me of the Preds from last year and the Preds of this year actually. Hopefully the Preds don't get intercepted at mid-ice tomor

55 minutes ago, japan said:

2000 hands down. McNair wasn’t the McNair of 2003 but the defense was amazing. 

Del Greco was too big a weakness in 00

If the league is decided by playing every team home-and-away...

2000 wins the league by at least 5 games.

2003 and 2008 are championship contenders but may fall out of the top 5.

1999 finishes like 5th, but well back from the top.

2002 leaves us lamenting the start of the season preventing us from being real contenders like we looked late.

@MIKE75, you are known for your long posts but the one above is ridiculous! lol Back to the question at hand, I think 2000 team was built to win a SB but drawing the wild card ravens (who had the only defense better than ours) was just bad luck. I've heard a lot of fans that said when the Titans played Billick's locker room speech on the jumbotron before the game where he said "FUCK the Titans" multiple times, that it was bad karma and that's why we lost. I don't believe that but it was a helluva Titans team the Ratbirds beat. 2003 was also a very good balanced team and we came 1 bobbled Drew Bennett pass from away from getting to the Big Dance.

3 hours ago, NewsToTom said:

If the league is decided by playing every team home-and-away...

2000 wins the league by at least 5 games.

2003 and 2008 are championship contenders but may fall out of the top 5.

1999 finishes like 5th, but well back from the top.

2002 leaves us lamenting the start of the season preventing us from being real contenders like we looked late.

I believe you covered the team thru FO correct? A few months ago I was checking the DVOA's for these teams & 2 things that really stood out to me were 1)how high the passing offenses DVOA was in '03. It was insanely high, which did confirm to me what I remembered, that was a great passing offense. The yards per throw was very high. And 2)how good the offenses DVOA was in '99. That really shocked me, I believe it was actually higher then the Rams that year which at 1st glance seems nuts but the Rams also turned the ball over a lot. 

Based on DVOA '99 was really interesting. They had the Titans offensive DVOA ranked much higher then the defense & actually had the Rams defensive DVOA higher then the offense. Now, I've always said those Rams had a very underrated defense, I believe Kevin Carter won DPOY, he had 17 sacks, but you always think of them as the Greatest Show on Turf. 

And despite Kearse the '99 D didn't start really playing well until the playoffs from what I remember. 

10 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's 03 and I don't think it's close. Injuries to McNair and Kearse did them end near the end but that team was rolling everyone when they were healthy 

I was so confident in that team, the Dline was so deep and good and we had big play players on offense.

15 hours ago, Navi said:

Titans needed to keep Chris Chandler at QB for at least two more years to fully develop McNair in 97 & 98.

Chandler was hitting some serious passing stats in His last year with the Titans, and exploded in Atlanta after being released by TN.

IMO, Tennessee would of seen a Super Bowl before 99 with Chris at helm.

Everybody assumes McNair was the best pick ever but there's an alternate reality here that could've been interesting. How about if we kept Chandler & picked Sapp or Carter?

Most people don't realize it but the trade down the Bucs made that year that led to their devastating Tampa 2, with the Eagles who traded up for Mike Mamula, it was actually us the Eagles were desperately trying to trade up with. They needed a DE & badly wanted Kevin Carter. The Bucs traded down & got the Eagles 2nd rounder. They picked Sapp & then used the xtra 2nd rounder to move up for Derrick Brooks. Obviously who knows what we would've done with those picks & I doubt we would've traded up for Brooks but imagine landing that duo with Chandler on the '99 team? Josh Evans was an interior monster in the '99 playoffs, him & Sapp would be nuts together.

44 minutes ago, Face said:

I believe you covered the team thru FO correct? A few months ago I was checking the DVOA's for these teams & 2 things that really stood out to me were 1)how high the passing offenses DVOA was in '03. It was insanely high, which did confirm to me what I remembered, that was a great passing offense. The yards per throw was very high. And 2)how good the offenses DVOA was in '99. That really shocked me, I believe it was actually higher then the Rams that year which at 1st glance seems nuts but the Rams also turned the ball over a lot. 

Based on DVOA '99 was really interesting. They had the Titans offensive DVOA ranked much higher then the defense & actually had the Rams defensive DVOA higher then the offense. Now, I've always said those Rams had a very underrated defense, I believe Kevin Carter won DPOY, he had 17 sacks, but you always think of them as the Greatest Show on Turf. 

And despite Kearse the '99 D didn't start really playing well until the playoffs from what I remember. 

I know DVOA for those years, either the ranking exactly (2000 was 1st), or at least in the ballpark. Don't always exactly agree with it, but it's in my head.

The 1999 Rams played the single easiest schedule of opposing defenses in DVOA history, and it's not even close. The second-easiest schedule of the past 32 years is closer to the 21st-easiest schedule than it is to the Rams schedule. Great offense, not as great as you'd think it was just watching them.

Pass D DVOA in 1999 was a clear improvement from pass D in 1998, but 1998 was really bad. The Kearse effect shows up a lot more in adjusted sack rate, where they went from close to the bottom to top ten. 2000 was when everything really came together.

2 minutes ago, NewsToTom said:

I know DVOA for those years, either the ranking exactly (2000 was 1st), or at least in the ballpark. Don't always exactly agree with it, but it's in my head.

The 1999 Rams played the single easiest schedule of opposing defenses in DVOA history, and it's not even close. The second-easiest schedule of the past 32 years is closer to the 21st-easiest schedule than it is to the Rams schedule. Great offense, not as great as you'd think it was just watching them.

Pass D DVOA in 1999 was a clear improvement from pass D in 1998, but 1998 was really bad. The Kearse effect shows up a lot more in adjusted sack rate, where they went from close to the bottom to top ten. 2000 was when everything really came together.

Interesting about the schedule. In the NFCCG the week before the Rams couldn't do anything against Tampa, so it makes sense. And in the Bowl they ripped us apart in the 1st half but couldn't put it in the end zone. But in the 2nd half we really started swarming all over them & they couldn't get anything going. 

You're right about how everything came together in 2000 on defense, and I think we started to see the potential in the '99 playoffs. They didn't have many stars but man that defense was so quick. The interior DL really got good penetration & everybody just flew all over. I also thought Gregg Williams was a much better DC then, before he just started playing only soft zones behind all out blitzes.

2000 D was silly good with tons of depth, KB basically was aST guy and they had ditched Steckle and his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense and Eddie was absolutely in his prime and a total beast behind an awesome OL.