6÷2 (1+2) = ___

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

The way I was taught was the way I did it.

6÷2(3)

I was never taught to then remove those parentheses and a "×". Which is why it is my interpretation to do that multiplication because the parentheses are still there.

I guess that's why the google search I posted said youre (Im) not necessarily wrong. Idk

The implied multiplication part apparently isn't universally taught.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once you do the addition within the parentheses it is removed leaving division on the left and multiplication on the right. At that point you just solve from left to right as they are on the same leve

Holy crap. Who leaves parentheses in place after solving part of an equation? I fear for education in this country. This is a simple math problem everyone beyond 3rd grade should know how to do.

That's the thing with this equation. I think it was written vaguely on purpose to stir up debate. I've seen debate about these equations in other places as heated as a debate about politics or religio

On 5/5/2018 at 2:51 AM, JakePA_Titan said:

On 5/5/2018 at 3:04 AM, klaatu- said:

After learning so many programming languages it's hard to be pedantic about one form of operator precedence over another.

If written 6/2*(1+2) (expressed fractionally) would it still be 9?

Would 6/2*3 be 1 or 9? 

Also consider the mathematic equation being read: 6 divided by 2 times the sum of 1 and 2. 

Would it be 1 or 9? 

Math can be quirky but “solving left to right” seems to create more problems in this case. I personally don’t remember being taught that anyways in mathematics (where I did extremely well but didn’t have any desire to do more in higher learning). 

Also, 4/(x-3)+4. X=3. Now try again where X=5.

Only one method of reading that equation results in two valid answers. PEMDAS and strictly reading left to right seems to break the logic of the math equation.

Edited by Cyrus

4 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Would 6/2*3 be 1 or 9? 

Also consider the mathematic equation being read: 6 divided by 2 times the sum of 1 and 2. 

Would it be 1 or 9? 

Math can be quirky but “solving left to right” seems to create more problems in this case. I personally don’t remember being taught that anyways in mathematics (where I did extremely well but didn’t have any desire to do more in higher learning). 

Only one method of reading that equation results in two valid answers. PEMDAS and strictly reading left to right seems to break the logic of the math equation.

Yes

Yes

Yes

4/(3-3)+4=1÷0

4 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Would 6/2*3 be 1 or 9? 

Would it be 1 or 9? 

Are you serious? Of course the answer is still 9. This isn't hard.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Are you serious? Of course the answer is still 9. This isn't hard.

Of course I’m serious. Is 1/2Y half of Y or 1 divided by 2Y?

I’m not looking at it like single line code, I’m looking at it like mathematical short hand. Just read the equation and it seems quite clear.

Its an eccentricity in how we write math equations in single line. Not validation for those who can write code so they feel superior.

Next we can talk about the Oxford comma. 

Edited by Cyrus

7 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Lol but it shouldn't be that confusing.

You shouldn't be able to come up with multiple answers from one equation and all (or both) of them be right.

Especially in math, you should be solving for a definitive answer. There should always be a right answer, and everything else wrong.

In this case, idc if Im right or wrong, but it needs to be definitive one way or the other.

Different programming languages have different operators, different rules about precedence, etc.  Many don't have implied operations and would disallow the above confusing expression.

50 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Of course I’m serious. Is 1/2Y half of Y or 1 divided by 2Y?

I’m not looking at it like single line code, I’m looking at it like mathematical short hand. Just read the equation and it seems quite clear.

Its an eccentricity in how we write math equations in single line. Not validation for those who can write code so they feel superior.

Next we can talk about the Oxford comma. 

Read this wrong. Posting while driving.

Edited by oldschool

25 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Wow. In this case 1/2 is a single integer and the operation is 1 integer multiplied by another.you are applying the principle incorrectly.

1/2y is not the same as 1 ÷ 2 × y

The 2nd equation has 3 integers and 2 operations.

I’d write it .5Y if I wanted to express half the value of Y. (Since a decimal cannot be read distinctly from 5 in this case and has no ambiguity ) Computer Programming introduces a “principle” here that may not potentially exist otherwise. 

If 1/2 is a fraction, how is 1/2Y, not? 1/(2Y) is likely something that primarily exists in the computing world. It looks redundant in English. (To me).

The whole point of this equation is to demonstrate ambiguity in language and the eccentricity of how math is expressed in a single line. There is a very reasonable case to believe that 1 is a valid answer. 

It makes someone look really small or insecure when they reply with “Wow” or express shock to these types of things.

Edited by Cyrus

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

I’d write it .5Y if I wanted to express half the value of Y. (Since a decimal cannot be read distinctly from 5 in this case and has no ambiguity ) Computer Programming introduces a “principle” here that may not potentially exist otherwise. 

If 1/2 is a fraction, how is 1/2Y, not? 1/(2Y) is likely something that primarily exists in the computing world. It looks redundant in English. (To me).

The whole point of this equation is to demonstrate ambiguity in language and the eccentricity of how math is expressed in a single line. There is a very reasonable case to believe that 1 is a valid answer. 

It makes someone look really small or insecure when they reply with “Wow” or express shock to these types of things.

Cyrus you are flat out wrong. The answer is 9 period.  Its math, it's not language. you apply the proper principles to every situation and solve accordingly. Also you and Pat need to stop with the programming language analogies. They are languages and were written to allow for all kinds of variables and can be processed different way. How c++ handles something can be very different than powershell or python. Thats not what we are talking about here. 

As for your last comment, spare me your indignation. We all remember how you approached the criticism of the last star wars movie. You sit on that mountain and act like you aren't looking down on people but it oozes out of you. The difference between you and I is that I call bullshit when I see it. In this case you are defending an indefensible point. The answer is 9 and always will be 9. it's what makes math great.

Edited by oldschool

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Cyrus you are flat out wrong. The answer is 9 period.  Its math, it's not language. you apply the proper principles to every situation and solve accordingly. Also you and Pat need to stop with the programming language analogies. They are languages and were written to allow for all kinds of variables and can be processed different way. How c++ handles something can be very different than powershell or python. Thats not what we are talking about here. 

As for your last comment, spare me your indignation. We all remember how you approached the criticism of the last star wars movie. You sit on that mountain and act like you aren't looking down on people but it oozes out of you. The difference between you and I is that I call bullshit when I see it. In this case you are defending an indefensible point. The answer is 9 and always will be 9. it's what makes math great.

I said it's ambiguous the way it's written, but that it's defensible to come to the conclusion that 1 is an appropriate answer. That I believe is true - and there is plenty of justification for that if you look. Math is a type of formal logic - it's not that different from language - and it can be parsed in a way that is ambiguous. (same as language). I'm not creating an out for myself or others - that's just the way I understand it and based on some reading and listening to other arguments, I believe that's fair and true. 

The whole point of this thread and viral equation is to bait people into these types of situations - the appropriate isn't: "It's 9 and everyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot!". That's the trap. The reality is that it's an eccentricity of math and deliberately ambiguous so that there are two reasonable answers based on different conventions. (just look at different results from scientific calculators to confirm that if you wish).

I don't mind taking an unpopular position and explaining it to an at times hostile audience. It doesn't bother me and it may needle at others (and you). That's not out of a false feeling of superiority, or a haughty attitude. I'm perfectly willing to explain why I believe something to be the case. I'm not going to shy away from discussions because of some type of consensus. (real or not).  You can be cynical about my intentions if you want. 

4 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I said it's ambiguous the way it's written, but that it's defensible to come to the conclusion that 1 is an appropriate answer. That I believe is true - and there is plenty of justification for that if you look. Math is a type of formal logic - it's not that different from language - and it can be parsed in a way that is ambiguous. (same as language). I'm not creating an out for myself or others - that's just the way I understand it and based on some reading and listening to other arguments, I believe that's fair and true. 

The whole point of this thread and viral equation is to bait people into these types of situations - the appropriate isn't: "It's 9 and everyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot!". That's the trap. The reality is that it's an eccentricity of math and deliberately ambiguous so that there are two reasonable answers based on different conventions. (just look at different results from scientific calculators to confirm that if you wish).

I don't mind taking an unpopular position and explaining it to an at times hostile audience. It doesn't bother me and it may needle at others (and you). That's not out of a false feeling of superiority, or a haughty attitude. I'm perfectly willing to explain why I believe something to be the case. I'm not going to shy away from discussions because of some type of consensus. (real or not).  You can be cynical about my intentions if you want. 

Nice mental gymnastics here. I'm sorry but there is no interpretation here, the answer is 9. Maybe you were taught wrong, maybe you just suck at math, maybe you like being a contrarian. None of these things change the fact the solution will never be 1. 

lol at the scientific calculator nonsense. That can be boiled down to a. The coder made a mistake or b. the computer language doesn't perform the correct operations in order

Edited by oldschool

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Nice mental gymnastics here. I'm sorry but there is no interpretation here, the answer is 9. Maybe you were taught wrong, maybe you just suck at math, maybe you like being a contrarian. None of these things change the fact the solution will never be 1. 

lol at the scientific calculator nonsense. That can be boiled down to a. The coder made a mistake or b. the computer language doesn't perform the correct operations in order

Hey - don't stop me from feeling good about yourself. 

If you prefer to only do math in your head by all means be didactic about the One True Way of expressing equations.

In the real world, computation is typically performed by machines and thus it is important to be aware that different tools represent the same concept with different syntaxes.

Rail all you want about Excel being wrong, it still is your fault if your equation is entered incorrectly.

This link is both relevant and worth a read, it's a rich topic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations