Sign in to follow this  
MIKE75

A Closer Look At WR Doentay Burnett

MIKE75   

In the 2017 season, Burnett was the Trojans’ leading receiver, a favorite target of quarterback Sam Darnold, and caught 86 passes for 1,114 yards and nine touchdowns.

Burnett led the Pac-10 in receptions, was second in receiving TD's and third in receiving yards.

Burnett did better in receptions,yards and touchdowns than another Pac-10 WR Dante Pettis who was drafted in the second round by the San Francisco 49ers.

It was a particularly productive stretch. Only eight USC wide receivers had more catches in one season. Burnett caught a Cotton Bowl-record 12 passes for 139 yards in his final college game and the former Serra High standout first starred in a three-touchdown performance in the 2017 Rose Bowl win over Penn State.

But concerns about his size hurt Burnett’s draft stock.

The best hope for Burnett is to follow the path of Nickell Robey-Coleman, the Trojans’ former 5-foot-8 cornerback who left school early in 2013 and faced similar size concerns. Robey-Coleman went undrafted, but signed with the Buffalo Bills, made the 53-man roster and will enter his sixth NFL season in the fall.

Burnett went undrafted, but signed with the Tennessee Titans. If he works hard i could see him joining the team........

"The NFL has been a life-long dream of mine and I feel I am ready to take on this next challenge in my life," Burnett said in a statement. To help him prepare for the next level, Burnett turned to Proactive Sports Performance (Westlake Village, California).

STACK caught up with Burnett on location and found a tireless worker bee with a selfless attitude. You watch him work out and you quickly realize he's probably never skipped a rep in his life. "You can't cheat yourself. Cheaters never prosper, and it will catch up to you. I always tell myself as I'm working—'never cheat yourself'," Burnett says.

While his polished route-running and sticky hands have enticed pro scouts, the same concern that followed Burnett during high school recruiting has been present in the NFL evaluation process. He was listed by USC at 170 pounds, and that's slender enough to be a concern for some pro scouts. But Burnett helped put those worries to bed when he weighed in at the Combine at a beefy 186 pounds. He credits Proactive with helping him pack on muscle mass via intense lifting and lots of high-quality protein.

A bulked up Burnett could feast in the slot against pro defenses. He's fearless over the middle of the field and he's been sharpening his skills against elite defensive backs for years now. But when you ask Burnett about what he'll bring to an NFL team, the first thing he mentions isn't his production—it's his willingness to put the team above himself. "I'm willing to do anything for the team, I'm willing to (do anything) to help the team get better," Burnett says. The NFL will always have a place for players like that.

Measurables

5’11″ | 186 lbs | 31 1/2 arms | 8 5/8 hands

Broad Jump: 10’1”

Vertical jump: 30.5″

40 Yard Dash: 4.70

Projected Draft Status: Rounds 4-5
NFL Comparison: Nelson Agholor

Strengths

Impressive Route Runner

Burnett is a smooth route runner who continues to get better. He has the quickness to set up his defender on the route and can always get open.

Body Control

At sub-fix foot, Burnett is still a guy who can go get the ball. With an inaccurate Darnold at the helm, Burnett frequently contort his body to catch the ball wherever it was going.

Toughness

Burnett got a hit a lot as a Trojan, but he still managed to play through knee and foot injuries in 2017. He’s fearless in going across the field running shallow and slant routes—anything to make the play.

Weakness

Diminutive size

Burnett is as big as he’s going to get. After weighing at 188 lbs. at the Combine, he droped down to 177 lbs. at USC’s Pro Day. If he plans on playing at that weight in the NFL, his body might not hold up.

Speed

Burnett’s 4.70 time isn’t an indicator of his actual speed given that he ran it on a hamstring that was at 80 percent, but he doesn’t have the speed to be a true vertical threat nor get a lot of YAC as desired in all slot WRs.

Best Trojan Performance

The 2016 Rose Bowl Game was easily his best career game. Even with Juju Smith Schuster and other big WRs in this game, Burnett stepped up when the light were on bright and dropped 164 receiving yards, three touchdowns and a record-setting 13 catches. Burnett was getting open at will and made tough catches against a fast Penn State defense. The performance was capped off by a his 27-yard game-tying touchdown catch that will forever immortalizing in USC lore.

Best Comparison: Kendall Wright

Much like Burnett at USC, Kendall Wright in the NFL was thrusted into the WR1 role as a member of the Tennesse Titans. A natural slot WR, Wright was asked to move all around the field and was productive doing so. Wright would always be open with his route running prowess and was forced to make tough catches playing with a string of inaccurate QBs. Limited after the catch, Wright wasn’t known for his speed nor YAC, but still managed to have a productive NFL career.

Projection: 5th Round

In a draft with a bevy of questionable receiver talent, Burnett has proven reliable as a WR1 for this year’s projected top pick and has traits to be the quintessential slot. With a more work on his hands and perhaps a few pounds of muscle, a slot-needy team will find excellent value on Day 3 with Burnett.

https://www.conquestchronicles.com/2018/4/26/17283840/2018-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-deontay-burnett-is-the-ideal-nfl-slot-wr-usc

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/3/17183858/deontay-burnett-is-the-drafts-best-wr-no-one-is-talking-about

http://www.stack.com/a/how-usc-receiver-deontay-burnett-forged-some-of-the-strongest-hands-in-the-2018-nfl-draft

MIKE75   

The Titans should have room enough that he can join the team.

Right now they have Rishard Matthews,Corey Davis,Tajae Sharpe,Taywan Taylor,Michael Campanaro.

Am i forgetting someone???  WR wise?

I think there is an excellent chance at Burnett squeezes in a roster spot on the 53 or practice squad.

He might be a bit small but there have been others who have succeeded.

WR Depth.....

Davis/Matthews/Sharpe/Taylor/Burnett/Campanaro

Edited by MIKE75

MIKE75   
10 minutes ago, Huston said:

I bet Campanaro is the first guy cut if a wr becomes available.

Maybe.

But the main thing that could very well save him is he is a kick returner/punt returner.

In my opinion i think when all teams cut their rosters down to 53 that a good WR will get caught up in the numbers games and be a cut and we could end up with a good one this way.

MIKE75   

I agree with the opinion some share that the WR corp is good enough that we just went through a bad year last year where the coaches were more to blame than the players. At the end of the year Davis was playing like a number 1 WR.

Huston   
23 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

Maybe.

But the main thing that could very well save him is he is a kick returner/punt returner.

In my opinion i think when all teams cut their rosters down to 53 that a good WR will get caught up in the numbers games and be a cut and we could end up with a good one this way.

They have other options that wont save him.

This guy will become our Slot WR pretty quickly. I live in LA so I got to see a lot of their games and he made play after play. He knows where to be and how to make plays when given the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

This guy will become our Slot WR pretty quickly. I live in LA so I got to see a lot of their games and he made play after play. He knows where to be and how to make plays when given the opportunity.

Why wasnt he drafted

4 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Why wasnt he drafted

Questions about size and speed. He hurt his hammy when he ran his 40 (4.7) and wasn’t able to workout for teams at the remaining drills and tests during the combine and his pro day. 

Another intestesting fact is that Burnett was the 2nd youngest player in this years draft, which means he still has a lot of room for growth and development.

He doesn't have eye popping athleticism which is always going to hurt your draft stock because of how freakishly athletic everyone is at the next level. He's also tiny. That said, he's definitely a baller - he has good tape.  He may never be Calvin Ridley with his route running or burst, but he has good hand usage off the line and you can tell he's aware of space and route placement. I could see him sticking if the roster numbers go his way. It's a good time to be an UDFA here because the new coaching staff is going to have fresh eyes and see with less bias.

Considering we didn't draft a WR I'll take what I can get. He moves like a smart football player on the field and his interviews sound like the new Titan prototype (team first) which is tough to find talent at WR that aren't primadonnas. I wish him luck and will keep an eye on him moving forward.