Mike Keith on the differences between a Mularkey and Vrabel practice

the part of the interview talking about a Vrabel practice is around the 25min mark.

we all knew there was going to be a significant difference between how Mularkey and Vrabel went about practices, Mike Keith goes into detail about exactly what the differences are.

love the continued mention of increased pace/tempo/intensity.

Conditioning is a big deal in NE and it should be a huge deal here.  MM, Jackson, and Henry are the three guys I have zero conditioning issues with.  The SF game last yr showed TN training was not optimized.  Vrabel has that gene that Mularkey did not.  Mularkey was about being more physical.  today's game is about stamina and pace.  

I already listened to that but the most interesting part of the interview is Keith said they were fully prepared to draft Larry Johnson the year they got Woolfolk. He said KC had Holmes so they never dreamed they'd take him. After KC took Johnson it really messed up their draft

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I already listened to that but the most interesting part of the interview is Keith said they were fully prepared to draft Larry Johnson the year they got Woolfolk. He said KC had Holmes so they never dreamed they'd take him. After KC took Johnson it really messed up their draft

Yeah that was interesting, if I remember correctly a lot of people had mixed feeling on Johnson didn't know they loved him so much.

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I completely zoned in on that comment as well...

If we got LJ, then we probably don't get LW and might get Hester instead...

Amazing how the draft is such a crap shoot...

He said that Mularkey's is like how most other NFL coaches run the practices.

Vrabel's ones are more fast paced.  If it's the offense's turn to run plays, then instead of the defense standing around like before, the defense is either working out on their own or doing something.  And vice versa when the defense is out there, the offense is not standing around but doing something like conditioning or practicing on their own.

12 minutes ago, Huston said:

He also mentions how Vrabel doesn't seem like a first year coach at all.

That sounds great.

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

4 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

I completely zoned in on that comment as well...

If we got LJ, then we probably don't get LW and might get Hester instead...

Amazing how the draft is such a crap shoot...

WOW. Now imagine L.J. as our running back. So many floundred chances. Just like when we had Hester on the phone and ended up with damn Lendale White instead.

Imagine we ended up with Hester and Chris Johnson.......I am speechless.

T\

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Well how are the practices different too lazy to find out

Mularkey was apparently very detail orientated/methodical, Keith also mentioned when certain position groups weren't involved they were just watching on.

Vrabel more energy/up tempo/constant moving, unlike Mularkey players are always doing something, not wasting practice time by sitting on the sidelines watching on.

with the limited practice time allowed in the current CBA, would of thought more teams would be moving more towards what Vrabel is doing, keep practices brisk to allow more reps to be run.

If Vrabel can micromanage all of this the first week on the job, props to him.

I didn't like him because how green he would be and how poor the Texans did (yes, I know there were major injuries), but if he can delegate roles AND micromanage efficiently without being too much of a meathead. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Head Coach is without a doubt the least important in terms of putting the team together but there are crucial aspects of the position that are required for the team to be successful. So far in his very limited tenure, he has at least started to turn my opinion around.

50 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I remember I think they traded down with PIT and were specific enough to land one or two spots in front of the Titans whom I'm sure KC thought would take him.

48 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I didn't like him because how green he would be and how poor the Texans did (yes, I know there were major injuries), but if he can delegate roles AND micromanage efficiently without being too much of a meathead. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Head Coach is without a doubt the least important in terms of putting the team together but there are crucial aspects of the position that are required for the team to be successful. So far in his very limited tenure, he has at least started to turn my opinion around.

You have to consider why he shot up the ranks so fast. I've seen it said numerous times about various coaches that people thought they would make for a better head coach than coordinator or position coach. Not that Vrabel was necessarily a horrible coordinator... the Texans D had problems other than simply playing poorly.

Vrabel has been said to be a great recruiter, that he can command a room. If he can recognize weaknesses and delegate to people who have the talent to strengthen those weaknesses all while being able to rally the troups... that's pretty much all you can ask for. Game day decision making (when to challenge, what to challenge, 2 minute scenarios, etc, etc) is another turkey to tackle but we won't see how he is at that stuff until August/September and beyond. The main thing that gives me the most confidence at this point is the fact that he is JRob's guy and JRob continues to impress the fuck out of most everyone with the team he's building. It's looking all roses at the moment.

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Being very skeptical of a first time head coach with minimal track record that gives hints of being somewhat volatile is a very reasonable position to hold.  I'm hoping that the appearance of volatility is nothing more than sheer motivation combined with a "chomping at the bit" to get started.  If he knows how to get the most out of each player that JRob sends him, we are in for a lot of successful fun.  Just a tiny bit of meathead is actually probably a good thing even for a head coach.  Here's hoping he was born for this job.