abenjami   

Outfitting a conference room in my office.  Here are my requirements...

Size:  Flexible but around 42".  I don't want to go smaller than 40 and I don't want a monster.

Brand:  Samsung, Vizio, or something else reputable.  No cheapo off brand.

Resolution:  This is for my conference room.  I won't be using 4k.  If the TV has 4k and it doesn't cost extra, fine.  If not, I don't care.  1080 is acceptable.

Depth:  It will be wall-mounted.  Thinner is better.  Also needs to be VESA.

Inputs:  I would think any TV fitting the above specs will have what I need (basically just an HDMI).

Tuner:  It needs to have a TV tuner in case I want to watch MNF/TNF because i'm stuck at the office.

Connectivity:  I will hard wire it via gigabit ethernet so I don’t necessarily need it to be WiFi equipped. I’d like for it to be a smart TV so I can stream ESPN, Amazon, Netflix, etc. 

Price:  Keep it under $400.

Any suggestions?

Edited by abenjami

go to costco. you'll get 5-6 options in your range. 

what do you have against a projector? too much light in the room? easier to see presentations and read details when large

abenjami   

I looked at Costco online and they have 2 options (Samsung and TCL). Both look a little thick though. 

What is TCL?  I’ve never heard of it. 

Nothing against a projector but the configuration and lighting in this room doesn’t mesh with one. 

Edited by abenjami

17 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I looked at Costco online and they have 2 options (Samsung and TCL). Both look a little thick though. 

What is TCL?  I’ve never heard of it. 

Nothing against a projector but the configuration and lighting in this room doesn’t mesh with one. 

TCL is a Chinese brand. Pretty cheap prices but gets good reviews.

wtenn   

I was looking to buy around last November and did some online research.  I found a lot of positive reviews of the brand HiSense.  It was referred to as the "Honda of the TV market" by one reviewer, I recall.  So, I found one on sale for about $300 at best Buy which was 50' in size and included a built in Roku.  So far it has been perfect.  Exactly what we were looking for.  

'Nator   

If you have any videophile tendencies at all buy an OLED. 

If you don't give a shit about picture quality there's a bunch of cheap, washed out looking LCDs for you to choose from. 

I’d walk into costco. They often have returns or display TVs discounted. Best Buy does the same. I got my 55” Samsung for $250 because they had to clear inventory for the new model that was basically identical to the one I got.

I have both a Samsung and Sony 4K tv and find the Sony to be better. Generally Sony TVs will last you an eternity as well.

MadMax   

Sony?  Yikes, I've never seen a Sony picture I liked.  It's milky or something.  Samsung on Dynamic is the best I've seen and I stood in front of all of them while picking out my 65" curve.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Samsung.  Period.

I agree but he said he doesn't need 4K and has to stay under 400 bucks. Vizio or bust imo.

Edited by oldschool

Sony is overpriced based on name recognition. Samsung is the best brand in general, LG is a pretty close 2nd. There are plenty of cheaper brands that are good when you don’t care as much about getting top of the line.