Vrabel OTA press conference

1 hour ago, THE_TITAN said:

Vrabel rubs me the wrong way; he comes across as quite a volatile personality. Hopefully that doesn't come back to hurt us, I can see him being the sort of guy that has a total mental breakdown and explodes at players.

I use different ways to try to understand people.  I found it useful to not look at Vrabel, but listen.  I heard something different.  I did it for a few interviews and I thought he made a lot of sense.  

2 hours ago, THE_TITAN said:

Vrabel rubs me the wrong way; he comes across as quite a volatile personality. Hopefully that doesn't come back to hurt us, I can see him being the sort of guy that has a total mental breakdown and explodes at players.

He reminds me of Mike Singletary 

He can be a bit obnoxious & bloviate at times but too many people on the inside rave about his personality & leadership, so I don't want to put too much emphasis on quick interviews & pressers.

That said, I can see him being very combative with the media, which can get tiring. It can make for an edgy environment  &  wear players down. 

I agree. But whatevs I'm still excited to see what he does. He has the right perspective.

7 minutes ago, Face said:

He can be a bit obnoxious & bloviate at times but too many people on the inside rave about his personality & leadership, so I don't want to put too much emphasis on quick interviews & pressers.

That said, I can see him being very combative with the media, which can get tiring. It can make for an edgy environment  &  wear players down. 

Vrabel has worked other places.  In your/our reading up about him before he came, did he have this trait mentioned?  One thing about this board, we are a Titans Wikipedia, so if that's a character trait of his it would have been mentioned, a lot.  

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

I agree. But whatevs I'm still excited to see what he does. He has the right perspective.

This guy sounds(I don't look at him) like a leader.  He's quick to throw himself under the bus which is a welcome trait.  He talked about him snitching on McGinest.  He speaks player language and I think the team is going to respond.  Remember, he's a shooting star in the league.  He might fizzle out here, but I bet before it's said and done, he's going to be a great coach for somebody.

The media was begging him to trash Malarkey's OTA's.  He just simply said he's looking at the players, seeing how they practice.  He's studying them to find where he can inspire.  He wasn't sugar coating stuff either.  They asked how is Marcus doing.  He said Marcus is still working on the verbiage.  He didn't stand up there and blow smoke up their asses saying Marcus is breezing through everything.  

I think we are going to be real happy with the results.  But I don't expect them to come out of the gate playing like this is his third year coaching the team.  Like Vrabel said, "ok, you missed-don't quit-move on to the next target."

At the beginning my face was as screwed up as anyone's at the announcement of the hire. I thought Mike Vrabel the guy who played for the Pats not that long ago? Immediately skeptical with no information yet.

But while most comments were concerned with the first press conference I've been pretty pleased since then and grown more confident with each time I've seen him in front of the camera, but this interview is what sold me:

He's a little brisk and blunt but the substance is there and that bluntness may mask that he actually answers questions carefully and thoughtfully.

I think he'll be quite successful here as long as he has talent at the coordinator positions, and you can't ask for better than Pees and LaFleur.