Ereck Flowers on the trade block

Tomachek

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928196/article/giants-engaged-in-talks-to-trade-ot-ereck-flowers

Would you trade for him, if so for what compensation?

Still just 23 years old, with 46 starts under his belt.  Has under performed at LT.  He was considered a strong and athletic mauler coming out of college who had stiff hips that prevented him from consistently getting depth to meet edge rushers.  Even coming out of the draft many thought his fit would be guard at the next level.  I would trade a 5th round pick for him and let him compete at guard.

In 2017 Duane Brown was traded for a 5th Greg Robinson was traded for a 6th for reference

Debate. 

He sucks. In fairness, I don't think NYG did him any favors by playing him at LT. He should not be playing there. Still, he is a former top 10 pick from just a few years ago and is still only 23. 

Giants drafted Flowers one spot ahead of Gurley. Ouch. That's why you don't reach for need.

Doesn't seem like JRob is a big fan of Spain giving him the lowest tender.  Veteran signings Su'a Filo and Pamphile don't instill much confidence of long-term solutions for replacements.  It's a low risk high reward type move trading late pick for a 24 year old lineman with 46 career starts and giving him a fresh start.  Worst case is he doesn't pan out and we move on from him after his rookie contract.

12 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Jrob has no problem with having competition and depth.  Doesn't mean he wants players who are lazy and plays well below their level of expectation. 

Look at the facts here.  The Giants aren't exactly over flowing with talent on their OL.  Yet they want some sucker to take this bait and give them something for a turd.  Jrob is no sucker.  Maybe if the kid is released he could be invited to camp or something but there won't be any draft picks given away for his services.

Where are you getting lazy from?  Because he hasn't performed up to his draft status that's they label he gets?  After getting demolished by Ziggy Ansah in week 2, this is what "lazy" Flowers did:

Coming out of the draft his best fit was OG.  It's not the kids fault he was over drafted and played out of position, like I said low risk high reward type deal. Could just take another Brad Seaton with the pick and cut him before week 1.

Even though its voluntary, its not a good look that Flowers has not been at the Giants offseason program. When you've been a colossal bust so far and you need to make a good impression on the GM and HC who were not there when you were drafted, its not a good look.

He never should've been a LT but he's been so bad I wouldn't risk it for anything more than a really low pick. Especially in a draft where you can nab a very nice guard prospect in the mid rounds....

9 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Even though its voluntary, its not a good look that Flowers has not been at the Giants offseason program. When you've been a colossal bust so far and you need to make a good impression on the GM and HC who were not there when you were drafted, its not a good look.

Not really hammering for the guy, mostly posted for the debate outside of draft talk. I'll argue for acquiring him though since I posted the topic. We had players no names mentioned though that did not show up for our voluntary practices either with new management, he probably knows he's likely to be cut or traded.

Very few of my Miami Hurricanes do I think are as overrated as Flowers. He benefited from a bad draft at his position. I have it on good authority the Miami coaching staff were thrilled they didn’t have to deal with him anymore.

Archived