Sign in to follow this  
Kyle021

JR will be a busy man the next two offseasons

Kyle021   

Orakpo/Morgan/Woodyard/Walker/Matthews contracts are up after this year. 

Out od those 5 he needs to resign Walker and Morgan and hopefully Orakpo on a 2 year deal. 

Same offseason he will be tasked with giving Lewan an extension, and also decide if he should keep Ryan at his base salary or extend him and backload his contract. We will also need to retain Sims too most likely a year ahead of his deal expiring. I don’t think Cyprien lasts past next year either nor does Ben Jones. 

After that the attention turns towards locking up MM, Byard to long term deals. 

Mariota will be entering year 5 and Byard year 4. Both will need contracts that offseason. 

One more year after that we are looking at retaining Johnson, Casey, and debating whether to option the 5th year on Conklin with our focus on also what the following year will look like when we option Davis/Jackson. 

This is how you know we finally have a fully built football team. 

Hopefully they give Walker a one year extension on his current contract this offseason to take away one more thing next year. 

It would be ideal to see them extend Morgan and Walker for 2 more years this offseason after exercising Mariotas 5th year and extend Lewan as well. 

You know you have a good football team when you have 5-6 players whose contracts are up after this year and you can only give a few of them extensions. 

I fully expect him to let Orakpo/Woodyard/Matthews go and opt to get 3rd-5th round compensatory picks for them instead of paying out that money. 

Morgan is more hard to replace than Orakpo. Which is why he should be kept. Smith is an unknown and Walker still plays like a 28 year old TE so extending him a few years is a no brainer. 

Doogie   

Hard to say what will happen. How players develop in the draft could have major impacts on who becomes expendable.  

Orakpo and Woodyard aren't getting any younger and won't command huge contracts.  Matthews is a very replaceable player who I see them moving on from when his contract expires. 

SARGO24   

Only guy I want to re sign out of that initial group is Walker. Then obviously lock up Lewan and Marcus.

We need to draft two OLBs early this year.

I don’t think there’s much to worry about. The cap is easy to manage now and OP is just throwing 3 years of major work and maintenance needed in a couple of paragraphs... so it sounds daunting. 

But it it’s really not. 

Not it much more work than anybody else has to deal with. 

It it will be interesting to see if he starts dealing these guys in their final contract years to see if he can get more out of them.