Schumer to introduce bill to decriminalize marijuana

Starkiller

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/19/chuck-schumer-decriminalize-marijuana-537828

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on Thursday that he would introduce legislation to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level, marking a significant shift in policy for the Democratic leader and lending the movement to lower government barriers to the drug a powerful ally.

The top congressional Democrat told VICE News in an interview set to air on Thursday night that legislation to increase access to marijuana was “long overdue” and that far “too many people” had been affected by the government’s crackdown on the drug.

“I’ll be introducing legislation to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level from one end of the country to the other,” Schumer said, according to a clip of the interview released by the outlet.

He added: “I've seen too many people’s lives ruined because they had small amounts of marijuana and served time in jail, much too long. Ultimately, it’s the right thing to do. Freedom.”

Schumer’s announcement comes as the Trump administration has moved to limit the proliferation of legislation to decriminalize and legalize marijuana at the state level. Earlier this year, Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded an Obama-era initiative that paved the way for states to pass more laws expanding access to the drug.

If Dems run on federally legalized marijuana, then the Blue wave will become a TSUNAMI flipping every seat in its path that isn't located in some regressive, hypocritical, morally corrupt, Christian area. 

1 hour ago, Downtown said:

If Dems run on federally legalized marijuana, then the Blue wave will become a TSUNAMI flipping every seat in its path that isn't located in some regressive, hypocritical, morally corrupt, Christian area. 

True.

They've been fighting the grassroots for too long. FYI The Movement started on 4/20/2014.

4 hours ago, Downtown said:

to be fair... they already would be that way without gerry mandering

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/democrats-mass-incarceration-legacy/493301/

"PHILADELPHIA—Bridge-building is the dominant theme of this year’s Democratic National Convention. Likely intended as a counter to the “build a wall” chants of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last week, the image of building bridges evokes unity, connectedness, and effort to promote good-faith communication between different identity groups.

But for all its efforts to build bridges, the Democratic Party is also expending just as much energy on burning one. The 2016 Democrats are running as far away as possible from the criminal-justice policies of the 1990s Democrats, in many cases actively undoing the policies the party once sold as common sense. Many of the Democratic leaders on stage this week were also star players in the fight to enact a broad set of racially inequitable, pro-prison reforms around the early ’90s. The dissonance has undergirded the entire convention."

That was actually us. Not Black Lives Matter. And not the Democrats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/democrats-mass-incarceration-legacy/493301/

"The Black Lives Matter movement has been front and center throughout the week of the convention. In assessing just how much it has affected politics and policy, there’s no need to go any further than the content of stage speeches: Almost all of the major prime-time speeches mentioned police brutality or black lives. President Obama implored the country to “work with police and protesters until laws and practices are changed,” a directive that’s in the party’s official platform on criminal-justice reform. Other speakers, such as former Attorney General Eric Holder and the vice-presidential nominee, Tim Kaine, echoed that call to action.

The movement’s influence was most present during a touching and heartfelt presentation on Tuesday by the “Mothers of the Movement,” a group of mothers of black people killed by police and racial violence. Geneva Reed-Veal, Lucia McBath, and Sybrina Fulton—the mothers of  Sandra Bland, Jordan Davis, and Trayvon Martin, respectively—stressed criminal-justice reform and endorsed Hillary Clinton as the candidate to enact it. “Hillary Clinton isn't afraid to say black lives matter,” McBath said. “We’re going to keep building a future where police officers and communities of color work together in mutual respect to keep children, like Jordan, safe.” Chants of “black lives matter” resounded across the expanse of Wells Fargo Center from delegation after delegation during their presentation and others. An embrace of criminal-justice reform was perhaps the greatest point of unity among the Democrats’ diverse and fractious coalition, from Bernie Bros to black women in church hats holding “I’m with Her” signs."

Democrats Targeted for Creating and Now Ignoring Mass Incarceration Disaster

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/05/31/democrats-targeted-creating-and-now-ignoring-mass-incarceration-disaster

"A new petition released Tuesday calls on Democratic Party leadership to make ending mass incarceration a core part of the party platform.

"So far, both [parties] have fallen short," reads the petition created by non-partisan public policy institute the Brennan Center for Justice. "Even Democratic Party platforms haven't merely been silent; they have actually called for policies creating more imprisonment.""

"The statistics are stark: while the United States has 5 percent of the world's people, we are responsible for a quarter of its prisoners," the petition notes.

Until recently, Democratic leadership applauded so-called "tough-on-crime" legislation that produced the mass incarceration crisis the U.S. faces today, said Inimai Chettiar, director of the Brennan Center's Justice Program, and Ames Grawert, a counsel in the same program.

The petition is addressed to leaders of both major parties, but particularly calls out the Democratic Party for betraying its legacy of civil rights advocacy by promoting such "tough-on-crime" policies."

As a supporter of individual liberty and someone who thinks the CJ system regarding drugs needs to be overhauled in the worst way.  I think this is a great move.  

I still think you go after dealers and distributors though.  Maybe make it legal under a certain weight or something.  

Honestly, if you decide to do drugs, who cares?  Just don't ask me to pay for your medical care when you fuck yourself up.

2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Tobacco, except for laws pertaining to driving a vehicle.

Marijuana is an agriculture crop that should be grown, packaged and marketed and sold just like tobacco. You do have to have driving under the influence laws and 2nd hand smoke laws. 

The only safety issue in my mind that sets marijuana apart is second hand smoke. Smoking it around kids can get them high. 

Look up driving while high on marijuana. It's not the same as being drunk. At all.

32 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

"Look it up"? I have done it. It is not safe. In college I had many situation driving home from a party where I was not sure how I got there.  We used to joke it was automatic pilot driving. These friends of mine always got good Columbian gold and had these huge bongs. I would get high as shit at their apartment but I hated their music so I would stay only as long as I needed to without being rude. I was dying to get home and listen to my records. It was always an adventure. 

Of course it impairs your judgment and reaction time. 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

You didn't know how you got home after being high on weed?

I've actually never had that happen. Or heard of it happening to someone.

A marijuana high while driving is similar to being below the legal limit for alcohol. And that's after significant intake.

Archived