Why Jake Locker Walked Away

Adams

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m supposed to like Jake Locker because Matt Hasselbeck does? Hahaha no chance in hell. Jake Locker is a loser. The most Injury-prone, overhyped quarterback in Titans history. I’d argue that he was t

He gone. He was a bad pick. We, and other teams, have all had busts. We will again.   I reserve my vitriol to guys who blew their shot due to bad attitudes, lack of effort, off field shenani

Posted Images

I think most of us knew his faith and family played a big role in why he left, but this really dives into the details of what he was going through personally. There were a couple of lines that stood out to me:

To every person except one, Locker’s career had become a feel-good narrative, steeped (inexplicably) in religion, steeled by success. But as his story spun into fable, his fame and draft stock ballooned, and so did the pressure. He still loved football—the game itself, anyway—but the demands required of a star QB felt like a burden. He didn’t know it then, but already he viewed the game from two disparate vantage points. He relished Saturday afternoons, daily practices, even film study—it was everything else he struggled with.

Millions were millions, reasoned Locker, who says he doesn’t regret sticking around, even if his draft stock slid in his senior season, after which he went No. 8 to the Titans and signed for $12.5 million. Locker had explained to reporters that he came back because he loved school and wanted to finish his history degree. But that wasn’t entirely true, he says now. In reality he knew he wasn’t ready, knew he couldn’t leave yet. All the savior stuff, all the expectations, “it wore him down,” says Scott.

Hasselbeck says his friend got “a raw deal. Just a terrible situation. So many coaches [three coordinators in four years]. You never knew who was in charge. The coach? The general manager? The owner? That organization was really bizarre, and so far behind in terms of nutrition and everything else.” (The Titans declined to comment.)

No surprise to hear how disorganized things were. It seems JRob and Amy have really helped to stabilize things. Hopefully they've addressed the nutrition issues and whatever "everything else" Hasslebeck is referencing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/jake-locker-nfl-2011-draft-tennessee-titans-why-he-quit

On 4/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, SaskTitan said:

I’m supposed to like Jake Locker because Matt Hasselbeck does? Hahaha no chance in hell. Jake Locker is a loser. The most Injury-prone, overhyped quarterback in Titans history. I’d argue that he was the worst selection in any draft in any round in Titans history. What a complete waste of 4 years of NFL watching that guy struggle and whine. 

There's so much wrong in this post it's hard to pick where to begin.

tenor.gif?itemid=5043510

Edited by NashvilleNinja

2 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

There's so much wrong in this post it's hard to pick where to begin.

giphy.webp

He was no leader. He was no franchise QB. How could that be any more clear? Nashville ninja is one fan who enjoys mediocrity, inconsistency. Locker was a nice human being, who quit on the team 4 years in. Go help Jake gather the eggs this morning. 

3 minutes ago, SaskTitan said:

He was no leader. He was no franchise QB. How could that be any more clear? Nashville ninja is one fan who enjoys mediocrity, inconsistency. Locker was a nice human being, who quit on the team 4 years in. Go help Jake gather the eggs this morning. 

200w.webp