Sign in to follow this  
newschool

HELP! I'm in love with the WR draft class

Mythos27   
Just now, JNew said:

I'm shocked you don't see separation Chek. Mythos maybe this film will help showcase his ability in spite of limitations at QB. You have to see what a guy is doing all the time to get a better feel of what he brings to the table instead of just the highlights.

I see a guy whose route running and nuance is better than many many current NFL starters. He looks so fluid smooth and precise. He makes DBs look silly.

I didn't mean separation. Ridley separates just fine. I was speaking strictly about that 50/50 ball he rarely came down with though Hurts was certainly hesitant to throw it.

japan   
55 minutes ago, JNew said:

That's like saying the QB class is bad so QBs are being overpaid. WRs are overpaid because the position is now at a premium. A vet in the hand is worth 2 rookies in the bush considering even the best roomies need adjustment time. It's not a knock on this year's draft class.

No ways guys like Watkins are getting the money they received if it was an earlier draft class. 

Edited by japan

Just now, Mythos27 said:

I didn't mean separation. Ridley separates just fine. I was speaking strictly about that 50/50 ball he rarely came down with though Hurts was certainly hesitant to throw it.

That was my bad I got your and tomacheck replies mixed up, disregard the comment about separation, lol.

43 minutes ago, nine said:

This was my takeaway as well after watching a couple full-game films.   

The first impression is that he's a strong, big-bodied WR who does a great job of battling defenders and winning contested catches over and over again....he definitely passes the eyeball test, for sure.   

But then  you realize he's being forced to out-muscle a defender virtually every single time he catches a ball...and you gotta wonder why.     If he struggles to create separation against college-level competition,  it's hard to image he'll fare better facing NFL-caliber DBs.

Yeah my expectation is to see you blow by college guys to have a chance at any kind of separation in the pros. I still like him as a prospect but I can see why he'd fall to later rounds. Those contested catches could become blanketed incompletions. Guys like this are players who could become something special if they transition but the likelihood is somewhat less expected so you don't want to risk a high pick. Mike Williams was like this and a reason I was leery of taking him. Very glad we took Corey Davis bc I wasn't super impressed with Williams or Ross.

Mythos27   
1 hour ago, nine said:

This was my takeaway as well after watching a couple full-game films.   

The first impression is that he's a strong, big-bodied WR who does a great job of battling defenders and winning contested catches over and over again....he definitely passes the eyeball test, for sure.   

But then  you realize he's being forced to out-muscle a defender virtually every single time he catches a ball...and you gotta wonder why.     If he struggles to create separation against college-level competition,  it's hard to image he'll fare better facing NFL-caliber DBs.

This is a fair assessment though, I would say that he does separate well on the comeback route which they had him run a million times per game. On the second watch-through I see what you guys mean and agree. That said, I still like his skill-set of size, contested catch ability, and run after the catch ability more than any other in the draft . We have to remember that there are guys in the league who consistently win the way Cobbs does, the question is will Cobbs be able to translate the skill-set. I think he's big and strong enough to do it. He did it to the consensus #1 CB in the class and generally bullied every Ohio St db that lined up across from him. I think he's similar to Sutton but much better at releasing off the LOS which is a big hurdle for rookie receivers; Corey Davis for example still struggles with this.

Edited by Mythos27

Mythos27   
29 minutes ago, JNew said:

Yeah my expectation is to see you blow by college guys to have a chance at any kind of separation in the pros. I still like him as a prospect but I can see why he'd fall to later rounds. Those contested catches could become blanketed incompletions. Guys like this are players who could become something special if they transition but the likelihood is somewhat less expected so you don't want to risk a high pick. Mike Williams was like this and a reason I was leery of taking him. Very glad we took Corey Davis bc I wasn't super impressed with Williams or Ross.

I think he's this year's Mike WIlliams and though I didn't love Williams, he was definitely a 1st round receiver. The separation concerns are fair though.

10 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I think he's this year's Mike WIlliams and though I didn't love Williams, he was definitely a 1st round receiver. The separation concerns are fair though.

Honestly a lot of it is a matter of preference and slower big body catchers just aren't preferred as much nowadays in these new systems. That said there is still value in these prospects, and I think the biggest difference between a Sutton or Mike Williams and a Simmie Cobbs or Daeshon Hamilton is the QB or offensive focus. I'd say that Cobbs and Hamilton are even better route runners than Sutton. Personally there is more value to guys like Ridley, Anthony Miller, DJ Moore because the separation creates bigger and cleaner windows but there is ALWAYS a good use for a big bodied WR. Those types of guys are great in the red zone and great on 3rd down when the DB is blanketing and pressing. 

Most would think it's overkill but I'd like to see 2 WRs drafted this year, one of the speedy quick YAC guys and one big bodied guy so we'd be set at WR for the next few years with versatility. Really feel like Taylor was a need pick and a reach pick. There are great route runners in this draft.

25 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I think Watson throwing him the ball definitely elevated his draft stock but he clearly is a talented guy

8MM   

Moore's strength and balance is far better than Ridley's even though Moore is smaller. 

6 hours ago, JNew said:

Mythos maybe this film will help showcase his ability in spite of limitations at QB. You have to see what a guy is doing all the time to get a better feel of what he brings to the table instead of just the highlights.

I see a guy whose route running and nuance is better than many many current NFL starters. He looks so fluid smooth and precise. He makes DBs look silly.

Excellent video. I definitely wouldn’t be mad about Ridley. 

Mythos27   
7 hours ago, JNew said:

Honestly a lot of it is a matter of preference and slower big body catchers just aren't preferred as much nowadays in these new systems. That said there is still value in these prospects, and I think the biggest difference between a Sutton or Mike Williams and a Simmie Cobbs or Daeshon Hamilton is the QB or offensive focus. I'd say that Cobbs and Hamilton are even better route runners than Sutton. Personally there is more value to guys like Ridley, Anthony Miller, DJ Moore because the separation creates bigger and cleaner windows but there is ALWAYS a good use for a big bodied WR. Those types of guys are great in the red zone and great on 3rd down when the DB is blanketing and pressing. 

Most would think it's overkill but I'd like to see 2 WRs drafted this year, one of the speedy quick YAC guys and one big bodied guy so we'd be set at WR for the next few years with versatility. Really feel like Taylor was a need pick and a reach pick. There are great route runners in this draft.

Can't really disagree with any of these. While I'm enthralled big big possession guys like Simmie, it's true that guys like Ridley are more versatile (systemically) and thus more valuable. That's why I thought Corey Davis was so special, he's a guy who can literally be both. It's more rare than people think. 

46 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Can't really disagree with any of these. While I'm enthralled big big possession guys like Simmie, it's true that guys like Ridley are more versatile (systemically) and thus more valuable. That's why I thought Corey Davis was so special, he's a guy who can literally be both. It's more rare than people think. 

That's what makes Davis so spectacular, you are spot on. He is both in 1, a really rare physical talent to be that big, fast, and agile to be able to go over the top of a DB and get great YAC. He has a bright future ahead.

9 hours ago, JNew said:

Mythos maybe this film will help showcase his ability in spite of limitations at QB. You have to see what a guy is doing all the time to get a better feel of what he brings to the table instead of just the highlights.

The guy is one of the more dynamic route runners I’ve seen. He isn’t excellent at YAC, and he isn’t a perfect hand catcher, but you make this guy into a Desean Jackson type next to Davis and he’s going to be money. I’ll honestly be pissed if we pick Hubbard over a guy like this. His ability to throw nuance into his routes is excellent. His hips remind me of Antonio Brown. The guy is going to consistently create separation in the NFL, which would be huge as a #2, as he isn’t going to be shaded or bracketed unleash Davis isn’t on the field. 

9 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

That’s not the type of player he is or ever will be. Desean Jackson and Marvin Harrison never caught many 50-50 balls either. He isn’t as fast as Jackson, and he isn’t the technician that Harrison was, but he’s a pretty damn good combination of the two. 

8 hours ago, JNew said:

Taylor is every bit as talented as Kendal Wright. He wasn’t a reach for the 3rd we used.