HELP! I'm in love with the WR draft class

XAEA12

19 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Taylor is every bit as talented as Kendal Wright. He wasn’t a reach for the 3rd we used. 

By reach I mean he was a need pick at a spot when we were in a corner. He has talent but a guy who doesn't run routes is always a reach. Bubbles screens and go route WRs are a gamble of a pick.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best way to fall out of love is to tell your love interest that you're broke.

I got a grip, and the lube is in the other hand   

They would rather throw Adoree out there as a WR when the game was on the line than Taylor. Pretty damning. 

Just now, JNew said:

By reach I mean he was a need pick at a spot when we were in a corner. He has talent but a guy who doesn't run routes is always a reach. Bubbles screens and go route WRs are a gamble of a pick.

Go back and watch his college tape. He definitely was not a bubble 9 route guy. 

The most impressive clip in Cobb’s highlights is that sick 90 degree cut he made. One of the most impressive plays I’ve watched all offseason, hands down.

I still think he’s a day 3 guy. 

Because we have Davis, I still like Sutton the most — I think they’d make a great pair of future starters, but if we got Moore or Ridley, that would be fine, too, though do I expect the Titans to go defense by now. 

12 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Go back and watch his college tape. He definitely was not a bubble 9 route guy. 

Ive watched a lot of his tape, I'm not saying there is no route variation but most of his success comes on go routes and over routes and screens where he is the better athlete.

I certainly don't think he's a dummy like DGB, he can run other routes but I don't see too many routes where his moves get him open, does that make sense? His speed and athleticism get him separation more than his moves. You can tell he runs the routes plainly and without a grasp of the opportunity for deception and misdirection. You don't see a lot of variance in route speed to trip up defenders. He could get away with that in his small college conference but the DBs make windows so tight at this level and you have to be polished to be effective. He struggled last year and we all know it - you could see it on the field, you could see it in his lack of reps, and his coaches said so. It says a lot that Decker was so slow and ineffective and still used more. WR is a weak spot heading into this draft.

Don't get me wrong, I like Taylor a lot. Incredible athleticism and he tracks the ball well. I also believe he's a hard worker and the more nuanced aspects of the game should come to him in time. There's a lot to like. But you don't risk your football team or your season hoping that happens in year 2. There are a good 12 guys in this draft who are equal the athlete and just better receivers - better route runners, guys who use their body to position themselves better, etc. 

It's clear at this point that with the way JRob values culture and the prima donna nature of the WR position that he is almost never going to look to bring in FA WR talent if it's not a culture fit. He's getting his WRs in the draft.

There are guys in this draft better than Taylor and Sharpe who can push for playing time this year. That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't you agree?

29 minutes ago, GLinks said:

Because we have Davis, I still like Sutton the most — I think they’d make a great pair of future starters, but if we got Moore or Ridley, that would be fine, too, though do I expect the Titans to go defense by now. 

We need speed at WR now.  Sutton doesn't offer that and Davis can do everything that Sutton can and more. 

Davis and Taylor have the speed. I won’t complain about adding more, but catching the ball on a reliable basis would be my priority. 

I like speed but I’m not feeling very much like Goose and Maverick from Top Gun right now.

I don’t feel the need.

Edited by GLinks

21 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Nevermind about this guy... reading about his off-the-field issues. A team would have to be desperate and run by morons to risk taking this guy as anything other than a flier as an UDFA. Dude's toxic with a capital T.

Yeah....you watch the guy's film, and the talent is clearly there;  he's an explosive playmaker with tons of big-play potential.  All he had to do was avoid being a complete idiot and social degenerate...but apparently that was more than he could handle.   He's cost himself and his family millions in potential earnings thanks to his own stupidity and bad decisions.    

As talented as he is, he'll obviously be given a chance somewhere....but he's probably put himself in a one-strike-and-you're-out position.   He'll be on probation from the moment he walks in the door...and the first time he screws up will likely be his last.

5 minutes ago, nine said:

Yeah....you watch the guy's film, and the talent is clearly there;  he's an explosive playmaker with tons of big-play potential.  All he had to do was avoid being a complete idiot and social degenerate...but apparently that was more than he could handle.   He's cost himself and his family millions in potential earnings thanks to his own stupidity and bad decisions.    

As talented as he is, he'll obviously be given a chance somewhere....but he's probably put himself in a one-strike-and-you're-out position.   He'll be on probation from the moment he walks in the door...and the first time he screws up will likely be his last.

I mean, it isn't like a misunderstanding from a domestic dust up or some past issue with pot. I read he was dealing with potential felony charges from credit card fraud and rape allegations. I don't know anything else about it, but I can't imagine any teams other than the usual suspects that would want that kind of stink anywhere near their organization.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

• 5 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:47 AM, newschool said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Taylor a lot. Incredible athleticism and he tracks the ball well. I also believe he's a hard worker and the more nuanced aspects of the game should come to him in time. There's a lot to like. But you don't risk your football team or your season hoping that happens in year 2. There are a good 12 guys in this draft who are equal the athlete and just better receivers - better route runners, guys who use their body to position themselves better, etc. 

It's clear at this point that with the way JRob values culture and the prima donna nature of the WR position that he is almost never going to look to bring in FA WR talent if it's not a culture fit. He's getting his WRs in the draft.

There are guys in this draft better than Taylor and Sharpe who can push for playing time this year. That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't you agree?

Wouldn't you?