Sign in to follow this  
AussieTitanFan08

Matt LaFleur emphasis on speed

LaFleur was really specific on the importance of speed in his offense during his interview on the midday180 today, mentioned the whole play action pass/3 level option design revolves around speed.

this isn't a great WR class in regards to top end speed, even though there hasn't been any known links with DJ Chark, can't ignore the fact he is the perfect guy in this draft class to give us that field stretching speed we require.

given that Chark probably goes somewhere between 25-40, i'm not sure if JRob has any interest in taking a speed based WR over our obvious needs at ILB/OLB.

This type of offense will not work without a pure burner who is mostly a decoy. Look how they used Watkins last year. He was obviously the most physically talented, but his entire game was built on beating middle of the field open deep or dragging the FS to open up the crossing routes. 

GLinks   

Chark’s 40 time and his game speed are pretty on par with one another. I think on paper at least he’s the perfect guy for this new offense. 

Even his bio on nfl.com says he will best fit in a team that likes to run a lot of play action. Sounds like the Titans are a good candidate. 

28 minutes ago, nine said:

IMO,  they're not so much worried about getting players who run fast...they want players who play fast.  Big difference.

Not really in this scheme. I mean of course you want the fast guy to be fast on the field and in his route running, but what they’re looking for is a pure speed option regardless of anything else. Look how they used a physical freak like Watkins last year. Let the route runners do their thing while having a single guy that will make you pay deep if your safety bites. 

Number9   
1 hour ago, nine said:

IMO,  they're not so much worried about getting players who run fast...they want players who play fast.  Big difference.

Who went through me mind was Taylor.  I expected a lot more from him last year.  I think he's going to flourish in this offense.  I think Goff made a living throwing quick passes and hitting Gurley leaking out of the backfield.  I rewatched the Rams game and I think @JNew might be onto something in comparing Gurley and Henry.  If he can scheme Henry the kind of space Gurley got against the Titans, Henry will have a huge year.

Face   

@AussieTitanFan08 I was thinking about this the other day when reading about the backs we're looking at. They're all very similar, guys like Walton, Hynes, and Ito Smith. 5'9ish 195-200, and very fast & quick. Hynes is a burner while Ito is more of a jitterbug type, though he's also very fast.

I thought we signed Dion Lewis because he's the perfect complement to Henry, and because he's excellent. Which is all true. But the backs we're looking at are very similar to him. These guys aren't being looked at as 3rd down, change of pace types. They're being looked at as starting backs, or part of a 2 man rotation. The pressure is on Henry this year, I'd be shocked if we didn't take one of these backs & I think Henry has this year to earn a top 2 spot in 2019.

Stan17   

Chark may have timed speed, but when I watch him I do not see a smooth athlete.  Not a polished receiver at all.  I know we're just looking for speed here, but he doesn't look 4.3 type fast out there either.  His 40 at the combine is blowing his stock way out of proportion.

3 hours ago, Face said:

@AussieTitanFan08 I was thinking about this the other day when reading about the backs we're looking at. They're all very similar, guys like Walton, Hynes, and Ito Smith. 5'9ish 195-200, and very fast & quick. Hynes is a burner while Ito is more of a jitterbug type, though he's also very fast.

I thought we signed Dion Lewis because he's the perfect complement to Henry, and because he's excellent. Which is all true. But the backs we're looking at are very similar to him. These guys aren't being looked at as 3rd down, change of pace types. They're being looked at as starting backs, or part of a 2 man rotation. The pressure is on Henry this year, I'd be shocked if we didn't take one of these backs & I think Henry has this year to earn a top 2 spot in 2019.

LaFleur is going to want guys who are fast and versatile, need to be able to be useful in both the run and pass games.

I can't wait to have an offense that is willing to attack the entire width/depth of opposition defenses.

ctm   
27 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Speed doesnt always have to mean 4.3. Ive been saying the new offense really needs short are quickness and explosion. Theres 4.4 or 4.5 guys that can do that. 

DJ Moore offers that.  If he falls near the Panthers, it wouldn't be that costly to jump them.

Stan17   
1 hour ago, ctm said:

DJ Moore offers that.  If he falls near the Panthers, it wouldn't be that costly to jump them.

I don’t want to trade up for anyone in this draft, but he’s going to be the best receiver in the class. Would solidify our offense for years to come. He ran a 4.42 which is plenty fast and he’s like a RB after the catch. I’m a fan.