Ridiculous Landry deal and My Take on the WR position

XAEA12

6 hours ago, abenjami said:

You OP said to draft WR's like RB's using mid-round picks.

I meant draft them like RBs in that you should always be drafting them and letting them fight for playing time. My bad, didn't mean to imply to only draft them late. Even with RBs if there is a Gurley AP type that's stupid superior I'm all for drafting special talent at any position

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our problem is we would use a 2nd or a 3rd round pick on highly athletic guys that couldnt run routes or catch the ball and expect them to be the #1 WR  

Not saying Landry is a bad player, but for what he brings to the table, $57 million guaranteed is ridiculous. You've got to start prioritizing drafting WR talent because it's ridiculous to pay a guy t

I tend to think that in general the QB makes the WR.  Obviously if you can get a great talent you do that but unless the guy is clearly going to be a true difference maker I don't think the investment

14 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's where we will just have to agree to disagree because I believe that since damn near ALL (even can't miss guarantee hits) young receivers have such a slow learning curve especially compared to other picks that spending high picks on that theory just doesn't pay off.

I can respect that. For me because there isn't a guarantee the more pro ready he is the more I'd want to bring him in.

Whatever the position, I'm against drafting high these players with incredible physical attributes but not polished like a John Ross, or a polished guy that isn't a physical phenom like Mike Williams. You're right it's risky which is why an early Rd WR better have it all, the tape, the production, and physical attributes like Corey Davis. 

The only guy I feel that way about in this draft is Moore. Tape, production, attributes all check. Ridley is tempting but if I'm following my own rule his stats scare me

Edited by JNew

It's not only drafting the right guys, it's coaching them up once they get here where we've been sorely lacking. A big part of that is having quality, well coached QBs available to work with them. As great a guy as Locker was, having inferior coaching, an erratic often unavailable Locker and noodle armed Hass to work with was a recipe for disaster. Look at Matthews, he was properly coached early on, gets here and has a decent QB who's available to work with, and voila, suddenly we have a NFL caliber receiver. Even Sharpe who was obviously well coached coming out and gets here and works with a good available QB, and he's right on schedule from day one of TC. 

• 4 years later...
On 4/13/2018 at 6:27 AM, scine09 said:

I tend to think that in general the QB makes the WR.  Obviously if you can get a great talent you do that but unless the guy is clearly going to be a true difference maker I don't think the investment is worth it.

I wonder if the Titans think that Corey Davis will be at that level or if they took him due to a thin corps overall.

For once scine gets one right