Sign in to follow this  
Titanstattoo25

Avery Williamson Turned down Titans offer

Avery Williamson was offered a 4 year, 12 million dollar deal from the Titans. He turned it down. Told the Jets and Dolphins are interested per source. (More background from @CameronWolfe below)

per dianna russini 

Tomachek   

Would have thought it would at least been in the 16-20 range.   

Cyprien got 4 years @ 25 million 

Williams signed a 3 year @ 16.5 million

For comparisons

nine   

Good player, but his strengths aren't a good fit with the direction the defense is taking.   He'll get better offers from teams that value him as a perfect fit for their defensive philosophy.   I wish him the best of luck.

tgo   
2 minutes ago, nine said:

Good player, but his strengths aren't a good fit with the direction the defense is taking.   He'll get better offers from teams that value him as a perfect fit for their defensive philosophy.   I wish him the best of luck.

That's actually wrong. Williamson is an even better fit for this defense than the last one. 

But yeah, he has low value because he's a 2 down thumper. But not THAT low

I mean, 3 mil a year? Walden made that last year. He's worth 5 or 6 a year and is wanting 8-9. 

Soxcat   

He was the 10th ranked overall LB and the 6th best at stopping the run.  He ranks about 40th in coverage however.  I'd say his true value is a little higher than the offer but it makes you really wonder if JRob is looking at ILB early in the draft.  Woodyard is almost as good against the run but even worse in coverage.  Thus, we are desperate to get another ILB that can cover and Brown is a decent nickel backer but not going to stand up against the run very well.

Biggest need with Williamson leaving has to be ILB to make this defense really go. 

Remember Pees  was a linebackers coach before becoming a DC.  At NE he had Mayo and at Baltimore he had Mosely.  I bet we are looking for that kind of player in round one.

nine   
5 minutes ago, tgo said:

That's actually wrong. Williamson is an even better fit for this defense than the last one. 

But yeah, he has low value because he's a 2 down thumper. But not THAT low

I mean, 3 mil a year? Walden made that last year. He's worth 5 or 6 a year and is wanting 8-9. 

Yeah, $3M/year is basically a situational player/quality backup.  I'm sure AW sees himself as a 3-down starter...and I'm sure another team probably sees him as such.

i could be way off...but I get the impression that the Titans are looking for a guy with more speed and range, as opposed to a between-the-tackles thumper.