PBJ Construction

Jamalisms

Knife etiquette  

14 members have voted

1. 1. When making a PBJ, do you:

• Use one knife, peanut butter first, wipe off knife, jelly second
    • Use one knife, jelly first, wipe off knife, peanut butter second
    • Use two knives, I'm not an animal

At the present my kids want PBJ every day that they don't eat the school lunch (2-3 times per week).  I use the top method.  Peanut butter, wipe knife, then jelly.  Sometimes I pull a second, really big knife to cut the sandwiches in half though.

Well only an idiot would use a knife for jelly. Everyone knows a spoon is the proper jelly retrieval and spreading device.

But back to the topic... only 1 knife is required, peanut butter first, wipe knife on the empty piece of bread and then add jelly. I buy the grape jelly that comes in a squeeze container. It comes out of the bottle Without needing to be spread. 

02116A55-9AED-47B0-BEFF-8150105FA979.thumb.jpeg.bf4b26b4af85ed43eb60a297a9404b25.jpeg

1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Well only an idiot would use a knife for jelly. Everyone knows a spoon is the proper jelly retrieval and spreading device.

But back to the topic... only 1 knife is required, peanut butter first, wipe knife on the empty piece of bread and then add jelly. I buy the grape jelly that comes in a squeeze container. It comes out of the bottle Without needing to be spread. 

02116A55-9AED-47B0-BEFF-8150105FA979.thumb.jpeg.bf4b26b4af85ed43eb60a297a9404b25.jpeg

This is the correct answer.

5 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Yuuuch. 

That shit's nasty

High fructose Corn Syrup will make you fat. It’s the only sweetener in the world that suppresses the hormonal reaction in humans that signals the brain when your stomach is full. Poisons  your kids and chemically fools their bodies into obesity. 

12 minutes ago, Downtown said:

High fructose Corn Syrup will make you fat. It’s the only sweetener in the world that suppresses the hormonal reaction in humans that signals the brain when your stomach is full. Poisons  your kids and chemically fools their bodies into obesity. 

Thankfully we keep it out of nearly all of our food... 

/s

OK, I've avoided posting for a spell.  Hit 5K and made me reflect: how much of that was worth writing?  Worth reading?  Probably not that much.

So with that in mind, breaking the sabbatical... and from a Pro who makes PB&Js for Billionaires' Kids:

PB (organic if you like, but creamy unless specified) on both sides of the bread, thin, with a knife.  This keeps the bread from getting soggy if made in advance.

Jam (good old organic strawberry preserves like Costco carries actually works for me) spread onto one side only in decent ratio, with gaps on sides so as not to leak out.  Spoon is better here.

Lick both if at home before tossing into sink.

Macnut butter, guava jam and Hawaiian sweet bread makes a nice island version.  And though it was a cheesy late 90's SF thing I was a part of, PB&J Foie Gras variations (peanut-crusted seared foie gras on toasted brioche with blackberry-port duck demi-gastrique, etc) were fun too.

5,001.  Next the 10K I suppose.   And many posts to go before I sleep.

3 minutes ago, chef said:

OK, I've avoided posting for a spell.  Hit 5K and made me reflect: how much of that was worth writing?  Worth reading?  Probably not that much.

So with that in mind, breaking the sabbatical... and from a Pro who makes PB&Js for Billionaires' Kids:

PB (organic if you like, but creamy unless specified) on both sides of the bread, thin, with a knife.  This keeps the bread from getting soggy if made in advance.

Jam (good old organic strawberry preserves like Costco carries actually works for me) spread onto one side only in decent ratio, with gaps on sides so as not to leak out.  Spoon is better here.

Lick both if at home before tossing into sink.

Macnut butter, guava jam and Hawaiian sweet bread makes a nice island version.  And though it was a cheesy late 90's SF thing I was a part of, PB&J Foie Gras variations (peanut-crusted seared foie gras on toasted brioche with blackberry-port duck demi-gastrique, etc) were fun too.

5,001.  Next the 10K I suppose.   And many posts to go before I sleep.

Personally I like when you post. You are about quality and not quantity. Thanks for the tips! I’m going to def try the peanut butter on both sides. When I’m not using the easy squeeze stuff I usually use some jams that my girls mom makes every year. She does blackberry, fig, plum, strawberry, cherry, and a few others. Nothing like some home made jam!