Rapoport reports JRob looking to acquire/trade for explosive playmaker

AussieTitanFan08

There’s an argument to bring in either one of Watkins or Landry. 

Watkins is the lower risk, higher reward player from a cost versus explosive or long-play POV. His foot could be an issue. Maybe a continuously limiting issue. Or Robinson could be getting him at just the right time. If both Davis and Watkins reached their potential on this team with Mariota, the results could be deadly.

Watkins provides us with an additional deep threat, and yeah, there’s a decent chance he and Mariota could have good chemistry together.

Landry is obviously the more consistent of the two. The part of Landry as a tough as nails slot receiver helps cement the run game. Part of why Landry’s YPC was so low with so many receptions is because he was partially replacing run game production. He’s also a tremendous blocker and lines up all over. 

His signing would take some pressure off the need to nail 3rd down RB - no less important, mind you - but the point is moving the chains and being effective. The Titans could roll down the field  because you have Landry contributing to the effect of defenses tightening up in the run and short passing game, thus freeing up the PA downfield. Plus the Titans would still have an incredible core of blocking receivers.

Either could work. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

on NFLN Total Access, Rapoport just took his earlier report about our interest in Jarvis Landry and ran even further with it, and specifically mentioned that JRob is looking to add an explosive playma

I'd much rather have a pass catching RB like Sproles or Kamara than a WR......

Most on this board root against signing FA's. I've never seen a fan base so obsessed with the salary cap in my life.

Davis and Matthews are entrenched as starters on the outside..... Decker is the slot receiver and unsigned. Someone who plays in the slot would make some amount of sense if they don't believe Taylor is ready. Another outside WR like Watkins makes absolutely no sense

The outside/slot stuff doesn't bother me that much. Obviously some guys are better suited as outside WR's, big and/or fast guys. And usually the smaller, shiftier guys are obviously better in the slot. But plenty of teams don't have perfect fits for each, some teams actually like their biggest guy in the a lot. At the end of the day the important thing is how good the 3 receivers are.

Plus Matthews played a decent amount of slot last year & I know PFF grades him well there.

The issue for me is I don't think WR is a big need. 

1 minute ago, Thrill said:

Sharpe will be our slot guy and Taylor will get occasional slot reps and deep ball shots.

There's no guarantee that Sharpe will fully recover from that foot injury. Those things can do in people's careers, like we've seen with Dodd.