Remember when we got compensatory picks every season?

kyle021

Under JR that will begin. 

If Williamson signs with another team as expected we will get around a 5th for him next year. He should command a contract about 4 years 18 million from a FA team. Likely a 43 team needing a MLB 

That’s what happens when you draft good. 

In two two years when Sims walks we could get one for him. Same with Henry and Johnson if they walk however if Johnson continues to progress he will be going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

compensation picks are awarded after matching up your FA gains and losses, for us to get compensation picks for 2019, we would have to do almost nothing in terms of bringing in FA.

Actually that's not true.  We can just target FA that have been released (ie cap casualities).  I think the Ravens do this every year and stock up on comp picks the following year.

12 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Actually that's not true.  We can just target FA that have been released (ie cap casualities).  I think the Ravens do this every year and stock up on comp picks the following year.

not sure our roster is at a stage where we can limit our FA intake to simply players released by other teams.

here is a pretty good definition of how a player qualifies to be considered as a compensatory free agent.

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which concludes the second Tuesday after the draft.) his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

not sure our roster is at a stage where we can limit our FA intake to simply players released by other teams.

here is a pretty good definition of how a player qualifies to be considered as a compensatory free agent.

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which concludes the second Tuesday after the draft.) his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

If the titans resign Jones, Succop and Walden they should be able to make the roster numbers work out to 53 guys rather easy.  If they resign Decker or possibly Weeden, it gets even easier and would have room to cut a few guys like Murray and Cassel .  It can be done with 6 drafts picks and four guys (Wallace, Sims, Sharpe, Jones) returning from IR who weren't on the final 53.  The question is whether JRob wants to pursue that strategy.

Not resigning Williamson and Kline would then give them 2019 comps.

2 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

So we will get a lot of comp picks because of the guys Jrob drafts... and your basis behind that is the fact that we might get a comp pick for losing a player that he didn’t draft? Makes sense. 

I think his point is that Williamson is an outlier from the previous regime's track record; we can expect a lot more of that from JRob's regime.

1 hour ago, ctm said:

If the titans resign Jones, Succop and Walden they should be able to make the roster numbers work out to 53 guys rather easy.  If they resign Decker or possibly Weeden, it gets even easier and would have room to cut a few guys like Murray and Cassel .  It can be done with 6 drafts picks and four guys (Wallace, Sims, Sharpe, Jones) returning from IR who weren't on the final 53.  The question is whether JRob wants to pursue that strategy.

Not resigning Williamson and Kline would then give them 2019 comps.

there is certainly a path for it to happen, i'm just not sure we are at a stage where JRob will be happy to sit on the sidelines during FA.

even if we just signed mid tier guys like Dion Lewis, Cameron Fleming and Nigel Bradham that would wipe out an compensation we got for Williamson/Kline.

3 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

there is certainly a path for it to happen, i'm just not sure we are at a stage where JRob will be happy to sit on the sidelines during FA.

even if we just signed mid tier guys like Dion Lewis, Cameron Fleming and Nigel Bradham that would wipe out an compensation we got for Williamson/Kline.

The key to making it work and still improve in free agency is to sign guys who are cuts rather than UFAs.

9 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I think going for comp picks is a good plan assuming everything else is equal but it's not a big enough deal to actively plan your off season around it. 

Exactly. You don’t plan your whole free agent strategy around making sure you get an extra mid round pick. 

If you lose an ILB to FA but sign an UFA ILB then you don’t get a comp

if you lose an UFA ILB in FA and sign an ILB who was cut then you get a comp depending on the size of the contract

if you lose an ILB to FA and don’t sign any ILB in return you get a comp pick. Round determined by size of contract. 

So if Avery hits FA and signs a middle pack deal, and we don’t replace him in FA with another UFA we get awarded a pick depending on the deal Avery signs. 

Im using Williamson as a example

Also bring JR up bc he drafts really well and we won’t be resigning some of his players he drafts. We will be drafting to replace them a year in advance or year of 

Another example is if we let Matthews walk in FA next year and don’t replace him with another UFA at WR we will get a comp pick depending on the size of his contract. If he signs a 4 year 40 million deal we likely get a 3rd round or 4th round comp

i had this very argument with a poster concerning Finnegan years ago. I said we would get a 3rd for him and he gave me a boat load of shit. It was @WG53

we got a comp 3rd

9 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I think going for comp picks is a good plan assuming everything else is equal but it's not a big enough deal to actively plan your off season around it. 

You’re right. 

However. 

Compensatory picks are an an indicator of how damn good you draft. 

Getting comp picks is great. It means you draft well and let quality players walk who cost to much, lived up to their draft position, played their rookie deal out, and you already replaced them via draft the year prior

Jacksonville would’ve gotten a 4th or 5th for Cyprien had they not signed Church

Archived