If the Browns select a QB in this year's draft, should he opt for the CFL instead?

Denali

No. Take the money. Never know when you might get injured. The Browns have a lot of draft capital this year. If they use it properly, the new QB could grow with these young talents into a good team. And the Browns only need to be average to be a HUGE jump in quality. In other words, that QB will, almost by definition, improve the team. So, he'll be seen as an upgrade. 

No.  In fact, the Browns are in great shape with draft capital and cap space.  This team will have an abundance of young talent with a good FA and draft, and any decent QB could have a bright future there.  Of course, there is always the highly negative unknowns  given the past history of that franchise.  But there IS a light at the end of the tunnel for their fans.  Only question is how bright that light is with this HC.

pro

24 minutes ago, prometheus said:

Only question is how bright that light is with this HC.

pro

That's a question?  A question for which there is only one answer is not a question.  The Browns are hopeless as long as Hue Jackson is at the helm.  Draft picks don't mean shit as long as he is there.

He's going to be with a good OC and behind a really good offensive line.  If he's just turned off by the stigma of being with the Browns, then he's an idiot.  Any top QB is going to a crappy team, and there are worse situations to be in than the one in Cleveland.

I’m thinking with all of this draft capital in a possibly competent GM’s hands, the Browns may turn this around. I assume Hue is gone after this year. I would say 2 years out they may be competitive. 

Just now, wtenn said:

I remember when Rocket Ismail did the same to avoid playing for the 1-15 Cowboys.  A few years later the Cowboys won the SuperBowl with Ismail playing in Canada.

F all of those Ismail’s. 

1 hour ago, Supernope said:

How long would the Browns hold his rights?

Here is what I was able to find (it took a while of searching):

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/3/1/5443918/nfl-collective-bargaining-agreement-cba-101-draft-rookie-contracts

It is also worth noting that if a player is drafted, but opts to play in another league, the drafting team still maintains rights to the player if they decide to play in the NFL. This lasts for three years, after which, the drafting team maintains RoFR only.

If I’m Rosen I’m stoked about going to Cleveland. 

They have an amazing OL, a great OC, two stud WRs and a damn good promising TE with star potential and the best LT in the league

plus, they have a shit ton of draft capital

He could have a top 5 OL, Barkley in the backfield, Gordon/Coleman/Njoku to throw to and a great receiving back in Johnson

Rosen is going to be a very good QB. He’s head and shoulders the best in the draft. He’s just whining about playing for the Browns. 

He obviously hasnt paid attention to the fact they have a competent FO and a lot of talent and MONEY to make him richer than any team in the league when the time comes

Hue Jackson is probably going to have to win at least 6 games next season to save his job.

with 6 of the first 65 picks in the draft and $110 million in cap space, and an all star personnel department now running the show, they are going to bring plenty of talented players into the building.

if the Browns suck again next season, it won't be ownership/management that cops the heat it will be Hue Jackson and the coaching staff.

Archived