Pennsylvania Gerrymandering Case

Justafan

52 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Congressional representatives should be elected proportionally per state.  Get rid of districts, they are all inherently anti democratic.

Districts are practical on a local level. It’s really just a matter of how they draw the maps. 

And I wouldn’t want proportional elections. I’d want to vote for specific candidates. 

I thought I heard on the radio that it is expected that the courts will hand down specific guidelines on how the map has to be drawn.  If that's the case this could be used as a blueprint for a supreme court case that would implement guidelines nationwide.

Speaking hypothetically of course, would that be enough to make things fair or would people still want the districts gone completely?

4 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Districts are practical on a local level. It’s really just a matter of how they draw the maps. 

And I wouldn’t want proportional elections. I’d want to vote for specific candidates. 

You could vote for a slate of candidates, top X win.

Districts are only practical if you prefer a two party system.

Corporations are governed by proportional representation.  You only hear complaints about how it won't work when people talk about actual people.

Single Transferable Vote would do more to address complaints about American politics, and wouldn't require redistricting every 10 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

1 hour ago, patsplat said:

Corporations are governed by proportional representation.  You only hear complaints about how it won't work when people talk about actual people.

Single Transferable Vote would do more to address complaints about American politics, and wouldn't require redistricting every 10 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

Corporations are governed by a board of directors. The boardmembers are elected by majority vote of the stockholders.

It’s not that different from a traditional election other than it’s an up or down vote on a single candidate. But that’s no way to run a multi-party system regardless. Especially not when you figure the richest people get more votes. 

You could vote for a slate of candidates, top X win.

Districts are only practical if you prefer a two party system.

What if you like some of the candidates on one slate and not others? You could vote on a party line and then end up with lawmakers you don’t even like. 

18 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Corporations are governed by a board of directors. The boardmembers are elected by majority vote of the stockholders.

It’s not that different from a traditional election other than it’s an up or down vote on a single candidate. But that’s no way to run a multi-party system regardless. Especially not when you figure the richest people get more votes. 

Board members are selected from a majority vote of shares.  Voting power is proportional to the # of shares you own.

If you prefer the two party system then say so.  All I'm saying is the single biggest improvement to American democracy would be to make the election of Representatives more democratic.

The House is supposed to voice the will of the people, not a bunch of gerrymandered elitists ignoring half their constituents.

Proportional representation is a simple improvement, could be tuned and voted on a state by state basis, and would require no constitutional amendments.

Board members are selected from a majority vote of shares.  Voting power is proportional to the # of shares you own.

If you prefer the two party system then say so.  All I'm saying is the single biggest improvement to American democracy would be to make the election of Representatives more democratic.

The House is supposed to voice the will of the people, not a bunch of gerrymandered elitists ignoring half their constituents.

Proportional representation is a simple improvement, could be tuned and voted on a state by state basis, and would require no constitutional amendments.

I’d prefer a parliamentary system but that wouldn’t prevent all problems either. 

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I’d prefer a parliamentary system but that wouldn’t prevent all problems either. 

Really?  You'd prefer that the gerrymandered Representatives pick the president?

The electoral college is bad, but that would be much worse.

Really?  You'd prefer that the gerrymandered Representatives pick the president?

The electoral college is bad, but that would be much worse.

The idea is that without gerrymandering built around a 2 party system it would eliminate that disparity.

And like I said, a parliamentary system doesn’t solve all problems.

Archived