Dan Orlovsky draws McFleur plays

headhunter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll watch this stuff all day over the idiot ex-players on ESPN or NFL Network. I wish they'd stop dumbing down everything and spend more time educating fans on how the game works. I think there is a

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MnxneqXzbXJO?t=32m2s

Every single aspect of the offense regressed in 2017, and virtually every single position took a step back.   I've said it before:  if it was one or two players having a bad year, then maybe

16 hours ago, Face said:

Gary Kubiak is another one. Same with golf, most of the best swing coaches weren't great players. Less talented guys have to do everything they can to improve just a bit, so they tend to study & learn the most.

This is why I felt Bruce Matthews was a bad OL coach. The guy was a total freak of nature, he was what, 6'4 315 & lean? Played until 40+ without ever missing a game I believe, and was still one of the most athletic lineman in the league in his late 30's. Apparently his teammates back in the day used to laugh because he did everything fundamentally wrong & would still just destroy the best DL in the league. They moved him around to every position if there were injuries & it was the same thing, total dominance. He finally met his match when he couldn't block Bruce friggin Smith as a LT. The guy was an absolute android, what the hell is he going to teach a guy like Byron Stingily or Fernando Velasco? 

On flip side Muchack is a very good OL coach.    And he was a liitle more dominant as a player than Matthews.

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Depends on the year. Was better in shotgun for 2016. Better under center for 2017.

Also, Mariota was obviously better in shotgun in college.Then he he was better  under center running playaction. 

I think we should be wary determining what Mariota can and can't do based on statistics of a bad offense. Scheme and playcalling has a lot to do with this. See Foles.

Oh, I have no doubt they'll run some spread out of shotgun with him. They'll do some college RPO stuff too I bet, and the same kind of thing Shanahan ran with RGIII in Washingotn. 

But mostly I think we'll see a very similar offense to the Rams offense, heavy playaction, some bunch formations and heavy sets to go along with the 3 wide stuff. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, japan said:

No way are both Davis and Taylor as bad as they were last year. The scheme and the coaching were the problems. 

Every single receiver on the team regressed, no doubt scheme/coaching played a factor in that.

WR production is also a by product of the quality of the QB play, Mariota was bad. They dropped open TDs on their own but they were also missed when they were open for TDs. The QB also regressed and the WRs had bad QB play. 

A full off season to improve on mechanics and get further removed from the injury will help Mariota, the WRs going into year two will also help. Keeping the WRs healthy all through the off season and the season will also do wonders for the passing game.