It’s early February and I already know who I have cemented as my pick at 25

kyle021

Ronnie Harrison - SS - Alabama

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ronnie-harrison?id=2560103

im telling you and I’m telling you again. This man is going to be a star. 

Fitzpatrick got the “best S” in the country label, but this kid is neck and neck with him. He can play FS, SS, or LB in dime packages. He’s great in the box, can roam deep and cover TEs 1:1 and also the big y’all WR 1:1

he is perfect for the defense and next to Byard I think gives us the best safety pair in the nfl after Thomas/Chancellor 

if he is at 25 I would have a meltdown if JR didn’t draft him. 

Flipside... this is easily the best S class I think I’ve ever seen. You have loads and loads of talent. I would say there is a handful of first round guys in Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Elliott, Reid, Allen and then a handful of mid round guys. 

I would put Harrison in the top 10 defensive players in this draft right after. 

Im not going to make a draft profile on him. I’m just going to copy and paste what’s out there because I have nothing else to add. Anything else I add is my own bias because he is my favorite defender in the draft outside of Roquan Smith, Maurice Hurst, Josh Jackson, DeShon Elliott, and Bradley Chubb

but here is a list of my top 10 defensive players, a quick breakdown, and a pro comparison of who I think their potential can match. 

1) Bradley Chubb - DE/OLB

Pro Comp - Dwight Freeney - DE

- This man is the best defensive prospect in this draft hands down. He comes ready with an Arsenal of rush techniques, an explosive first step and punch. He can play either DE spot and OLB in a 3-4. He is a top tier athlete who is that rare “elite athlete but a player first”

2) Roquan Smith - WLB/ILB

Pro Comp - Bobby Wagner - ILB

- Fast, Aggressive, Instinctive. Can rush the passer, cover RBs, TEs and even WRs to a degree. He’s great in the run game, a leader, smart and did I mention he can cover? He can blitz too. 

3) Minkah Fitzpatrick - CB/FS

Pro Comp - Jalen Ramsey - CB

- Maybe its a lazy comparison because he isn’t as polished as Ramsey coming out as a CB but he has the same intangibles to be that kind of CB, but as a FS he may be better than Ramsey coming out. Versatile DB who can play any spot in the secondary. 

4) Vita Vea - NT

Pro Comp - Dontari Poe - NT

- Not as athletic (fast) but every bit as impactful and powerful. A mountain of a man. I think HalotinNgata is a lazy comparison mainly due to size and strength. This kid is unblockable and has wiggle for his size

5) Josh Jackson - CB

Pro Comp - Trumaine Johnson - CB

- Big, Physical, Fast, Athletic, Natural ball skills and mirrors WRs... the best pure CB in this class. 

6) Ronnie Harrison - FS/SS

Pro Comp - Harrison Smith - FS/SS

- This kid is just legit. I pray he is a Titan in April. 

7) Arden Key - OLB

Pro Comp - Leonard Floyd - OLB

- We all know this kid has the length, frame, athletic ability and production that screams elite edge rusher. On the field he reminds me of Floyd in his play... off the field he is a Randy Gregory/Aldon Smith

8) Denzel Ward - CB

Pro Comp - Chris Harris Jr

- I like this kid a lot as a nickel back and he can play outside as well. I think many ppl look at him and see “5’10 and 200lb so he’s only a NB” but that’s a farce. He can play outside. I say Chris Harris because he checks every box just like him and sticks to his guys like glue. If I had to compare him to a CB on our roster it would be Ryan, and if you asked me to compare him to a diff corner other than Harris I would say Jourdan Lewis of Dallas. 

9) Da’Ron Payne - DE/DT

Pro Comp - Adrian Clayborn - DE

- He would fit in any defense. Great at stopping the run and is a good pass rusher who hasn’t reached his peak yet. When he does he will be a force. He can play in any defensive set and can be a DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4

10) Maurice Hurst - 43 DT

Pro Comp - Fletcher Cox - DT

- He would fit in well here at DE in a role similar to Casey but is best served to play a 3 tech role on a Jim Schwartz type defense. His initial step is lightening quick for a guy his size. It wouldn’t shock me to see him be the first interior DL off the board. A top 10-15 pick for sure. 

47 minutes ago, reo said:

I want Vea but he'll be long gone.

Keep in mind the last "best safety class in a long time" was Reid, Vaccaro, Elam and Cyprien. And Reid/Vaccaro are FAs, Cyp was last year and no clue where Elam is at.

I thought the last “best safety class” was with Joseph, Neal, Bell, Byard, Thompson

this one is head and shoulders better. However that class has multiple pro bowler and an all pro 

Just now, ctm said:

I though for sure the pick was going to be Malik Jefferson but he didn't even make the top 10.

Just because I am a Texas homer doesn’t mean I put goggles on

Jefferson is talented but his passion is questionable. 

Smith and Leonard are ahead of him. 

Jefferson is a mixed bag of a player. Sky’s the limit but is he going to bother trying? He’s got the skill set for WLB, ILB in a 43 and an OLB or ILB in a 3-4 

18 minutes ago, Stan17 said:

@Bongo59

And... FIGHT!

Bongo will support his LSU team to death. 

Guice is better than Barkley. Chark is better than Ridley. Key is better than Chubb. Tolliver and Dawson are better than Fitzpatrick or Jackson...etc

Adams is a fine player. He will earn a few pro bowler years, but I doubt he ever has a year like Byard ‘17 creating 10 turnovers 

Too many holes to fill to take a SS @ 25. 

Dean Pees said a great NT can mask a lot of weaknesses.  Which is why I think we upgrade our front 7 early and often, especially with our two OLBs aging.

Easily see JRob taking JEREMY REAVES later in the draft. Small school prospect (which he loves), big hitter, has solid ball production.

15 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

Too many holes to fill to take a SS @ 25. 

Dean Pees said a great NT can mask a lot of weaknesses.  Which is why I think we upgrade our front 7 early and often, especially with our two OLBs aging.

Easily see JRob taking JEREMY REAVES later in the draft. Small school prospect (which he loves), big hitter, has solid ball production.

I agree about Reaves. Probably a good pick in round 4.

4 minutes ago, ctm said:

I agree about Reaves. Probably a good pick in round 4.

Byard, Sims, and Reed. All small school DB prospects with great ball production. A big trend so far from JRob, only out liar so far is Jackson (outstanding ball production though).