Titans Needs Prioritized - Offense

code

Titans Needs Prioritized - Offense

Quarterback: (1 spot to fill)

Titans have 4 QBs under contract for 2018, only Tyler Ferguson for 2019. Expectation of course is that Marcus earns a 5-year $150 million extension this season. Cassel, Tanney and Ferguson round out the room. IMHO, we do not have an adequate back-up on roster.  Titans will certainly address this offseason. Given MM new contract needs, I suspect that we sign a veteran for a 2-year deal for as much as $6M, possibly frontloaded to benefit from one last low cost year for the starter.

Running Back: (2 spots to fill)

Murray, Henry, Fluellen and Muhammad under contract. Don’t believe Muhammad is good enough to be the coveted speed back. Don’t see Titans bringing back Murray at $6.5 for the next two seasons. So the position probably has two roster spots to fill.

Tight End: (1 spot to fill)

Position group is deceptive. We return Delanie, Supernaw, Smith, Stocker and Semish. But Walker, Supernaw and Stocker are all unrestricted in 2019, a year where the big money will go to Marcus and to Taylor Lewan. Smith was drafted to replace Walker. He flashes speed but not a lot of consistency. Stocker and Supernaw are essentially Craig Stevens (though not as good).

I can imagine one new guy being brought in to compete here, particularly in the blocking role.

Hopefully Smith makes Delanie expendable, but right now, were I the Titans, I would be negotiating a few year extension for Mr. Walker.

Wide Receiver: (2 spots to fill)

Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor are under club control through 2020. Rishard Matthews and Tajae Sharp are in their final year of club control. Decker and Weems are both free agents.

This pretty much screams for a veteran free agent acquisition. Can’t tell if team likes Matthews enough to extend him. I do like him as the possession guy … but for whatever reasons, didn’t get much favor in the passing game last year.  Sharp has a blank slate, but Robinson can’t not be a fan at this point. I see the Titans looking to upgrade two roster spots here, one with a speed guy, the other in the possession mode that Decker was to have filled.

Tackle: (1 spot to fill)

Extending Lewan becomes the priority after this season, since he is in final year of contract. Team is solid behind with Conklin, Kelly, Levin and Marz all in-house through 2019. BUT, I thought Kelly got exposed when he had to play consistently. I can see one more Tackle being added to upgrade Kelly.

C/Guard: (1 spot to fill)

Titans only have Ben Jones under contract past 2018, though Quentin Spain is restricted free agent and Cody Wichmann was on practice squad. Both Schwenke and Kline are unrestricted. Neither guy should be offered a big money deal by any other team.  Given how much teams value continuity up front, I can imagine Titans resigning both guys to low cost short term deals.  For predictive purposes, I guess we get one of the two which means vet free agent or later round draft choice.

Prediction: 8 new faces on the offensive side of the ball in 2018. Prioritized:

#1. Wide Out (speed)

#2 Running Back (speed)

#3. Guard

#4. Back up QB

#5. Wide out (possession)

#6. In-line TE

#7. Running Back (possibly a fullback)

#8. Back-up Tackle

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is this board's fascination with Fluellen? It makes no sense to me

All may be true, but if the board works out right, linebackers are for me the Titans position of greatest need, both inside and outside.

You're leaving out maybe the most important factor in contract negotiations: the agent. Marcus' contract will be heavily influenced by what his agent tells him to take.    Now that being sai

QB back-up is an urgent need to upgrade.
RB - Henry, he needs to give 16 games of what he showed against KC in the playoff game. Fluellen showed very good running capabilites during past pre-season. (Lets not repeat they waving a Blunt type of RB)
WR - Matthews, Davis, Sharpe and Douglass seem to comform a good core under the right coaching and playbook.

LB and DB gameplay need to perform better and need to be more dominating, since the DL is set. That's why Drafting a DB or LB at frist and second round of the Draft doesn't sound crazy for me, since that could bring immediate positive impact when the regular season starts. 

I know that I'll sound crazy to some of you materialistic jackals but I don't think Marcus will take that much in a deal. It's just not his personality to give even half a shit about the optics of being the highest paid QB. If you think he does you need to start paying attention and lay off the schwag.

Of course Marcus is going to want to be paid fairly. He's an NFL player, not a saint or a monk. And it's not about giving the Titans a friendly hometown discount just for the fuck of it. If he thinks a bigger contract will hinder Robinson's ability to build a competitive team around him you know he will take less so that Robinson can build the team up. If anyone understands the concept of having a strong supporting cast it's Marcus. It's in the DNA of who he is as a player, teammate, and person in general.

It's off topic, but he isn't taking less than a $25 million a year contract ... the NFLPA would thrash him ... and both Ryan and Rodgers are going to blow over the top of the Garropolo deal this offseason.  It's stupid money but it is what it is.

Fortunately Lewan is already paid near the top of NFL tackles. But I still expect him to get a $3 million a year raise --- something like 5 years for $60mill guaranteed. 

Between the two, that would be $21 million of new dollars on the books, almost half of our available cap - though once the cap increases its typical 10%, most of these dollars would be absorbed (maybe all but $3 million) ... giving JRob around $45 million to play with this offseason.

Of course, real money has already come off of our cap ... Douglas, Decker, Kline, Schwenke, Weems ... all currently free agents, and Murray has a $13 million exposure over the next 2 seasons that is likely to be reduced.

The drill on priority if to look to the roster configuration 3 years out based on current contracts and performance.

So many times the evals on this site forget the money. And it is always the money.

29 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I know that I'll sound crazy to some of you materialistic jackals but I don't think Marcus will take that much in a deal. It's just not his personality to give even half a shit about the optics of being the highest paid QB. If you think he does you need to start paying attention and lay off the schwag.

Of course Marcus is going to want to be paid fairly. He's an NFL player, not a saint or a monk. And it's not about giving the Titans a friendly hometown discount just for the fuck of it. If he thinks a bigger contract will hinder Robinson's ability to build a competitive team around him you know he will take less so that Robinson can build the team up. If anyone understands the concept of having a strong supporting cast it's Marcus. It's in the DNA of who he is as a player, teammate, and person in general.

You're leaving out maybe the most important factor in contract negotiations: the agent. Marcus' contract will be heavily influenced by what his agent tells him to take. 

Now that being said, I can definitely see him being like Brady in that he'll help structure the deal (and restructure, when necessary) to help the team sign other guys. 

30 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

You're leaving out maybe the most important factor in contract negotiations: the agent. Marcus' contract will be heavily influenced by what his agent tells him to take. 

Now that being said, I can definitely see him being like Brady in that he'll help structure the deal (and restructure, when necessary) to help the team sign other guys. 

Who is Marcus' agent?

2 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

I see I'm still alone on the kicker frontier.

I'm pretty sure I saw @Justafan say he isn't impressed with Succop and would move on.

1 hour ago, reo said:

Would be interesting if our OC wanted to make a run at Watkins but it'd be dangerous.

Speed back is a need. 

I could also see us bringing in a vet slot guy.

I'd love to see Sony Michel as a Titan, but I think Alvin Kamara's huge season is going to help him get drafted a lot earlier than he probably should be. Not sure he's as talented as Kamara. Want to watch a lot of film on him in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

What is this board's fascination with Fluellen? It makes no sense to me

Same thing with Skip Hicks and John Simon and every other back the last 20 years that has run well against scrubs in pre-season. There's one almost every year.