NFLs Neediest Teams - Andy Benoit

Titanstattoo25

8 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Completely insanity to say WR is our top need.

You've got young talent that you hope isn't as bad / are more useful and can be more productive than they looked in last year's scheme. Decker, who is no thanks and Matthews who may get shipped out.

The change in scheme along with the natural progression of the young receivers should really help that group. 

Decker, while he dropped too many balls toward the end, was more productive than I expected, and should be re-signed if he's willing to be a role player. 

Getting Sharpe back will help a lot too. 

14 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

You've got young talent that you hope isn't as bad / are more useful and can be more productive than they looked in last year's scheme. Decker, who is no thanks and Matthews who may get shipped out.

And it's still not our #1 need, imo.

The biggest need outside of backup QB and a scat back is to shore up the defense generally and to add younger players to develop behind that aging group. 

FA is strongest at WR, corner, and interior OL. Releases and re-signings will affect this too though of course. It’s a weak FA class otherwise though. 

20 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Here is the classic flaw in people's thinking.  We don't need a WR because Matthews has one more year left so we can replace him via draft next year.  But it usually takes a year to get a draft pick where they are productive.  Especially at WR.  Or haven't we learned that yet.  Decker is essentially replaced with Sharpe. 

I think most people understand that.  I think they should consider extending Matthews unless the whole locker room cancer thing actually exist. (I'm very skeptical of that)  

I think if the plan is to just let Matthews hit FA then you need to upgrade Decker with a FA... someone younger and maybe some upside.  Basically someone like Matthews when we signed him to take Matthews spot next year.  Then you also got Sharpe who can play the slot or outside if needed and you draft someone in the mid rounds to compete.

Sharpe may surprise so there is always that.

4 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I think most people understand that.  I think they should consider extending Matthews unless the whole locker room cancer thing actually exist. (I'm very skeptical of that)  

I think if the plan is to just let Matthews hit FA then you need to upgrade Decker with a FA... someone younger and maybe some upside.  Basically someone like Matthews when we signed him to take Matthews spot next year.  Then you also got Sharpe who can play the slot or outside if needed and you draft someone in the mid rounds to compete.

Sharpe may surprise so there is always that.

If they were to sign Decker to a two year deal, it would somewhat mitigate any desperation as it relates to the expiration of Matthews' deal. 

But maybe they think that can replace Decker as the third receiver with someone like Marquise Lee (just an example) in FA who has a different skill set but also is willing to be a no. 3 (I know Matthews probably isn't). 

Archived