Jonboy

49ers Sign Garoppolo To Long Term Deal, 5 Years $137.5 Million

Do these teams not understand that if you keep making your QB the highest paid player in the NFL every year that they are going to kill their team in the future? I mean it’s getting ridiculous. There’s no reason he should be the highest paid. On now the next QB will say he should be the highest paid. 

They really need to put to put a cap on how much a player can make maximum or in 10-15 years QBs will be getting 200 million dollar contracts who haven’t even played in the playoffs. Just insane. I remember when you had to win playoff games and the Super Bowl to get paid with the highest of the highest. 

Edited by XanderMXIX
Spelling

h4t   

No way the Patriots could have kept him at that kind of money.  Paying just 2 players on your roster $50 million would destroy your team.  I only fault them for not getting a better deal for JG. They really couldn't drop Brady, because no one knew JG was that good until he was traded and showed it.

2 minutes ago, XanderMXIX said:

Do these teams not understand that if you keep making your QB the highest paid player in the NFL every year that they are going to kill their team in the future? I mean it’s getting ridiculous. There’s no reason he should be the highest paid. On now the next QB will say he should be the highest paid. 

The alternative is not having a QB and drafting a new one every 3-5 years (or signing a backup caliber FA for 5-15/year). You take your pick.

Priority is and always will be QB. Even if it means overpaying based on youth compared to actual talent.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Good god. I know the guy has potential and the team was demonstrably better when he took over, but Jesus... you'd think they'd want to see at least one full season before committing that much money.

h4t   

Maybe in the next collective bargaining agreement they can do like basketball and set a max salary for any one player.

6 minutes ago, h4t said:

Maybe in the next collective bargaining agreement they can do like basketball and set a max salary for any one player.

They seriously need to. These QB contracts are getting way out of hand. What’s insane is that if the owners would come together and just agree that we can’t be paying these guys record deals every time. Unfortunately there’s always going to be that one team that’ll pay that QB a record deal because they think he’s the one. Then the cycle just goes on and on. 

I just really hate what these ludicrous contracts are doing to teams. 

reo   
4 minutes ago, XanderMXIX said:

They seriously need to. These QB contracts are getting way out of hand. What’s insane is that if the owners would come together and just agree that we can’t be paying these guys record deals every time. Unfortunately there’s always going to be that one team that’ll pay that QB a record deal because they think he’s the one. Then the cycle just goes on and on. 

What are they doing to teams? Are there teams that are cash strapped these days? I know we haven't been but don't pay much attention to other teams' cap situations.

Edited by reo

Soxcat   

They could try and get something in the agreement that no one player can make over a certain % of the CAP.  Not sure why the players would care one way or another since that is more to go around for the other guys.  But really, who cares?  Any team paying out mega bucks on one player just has less to build the rest of their team. 

It does shock me the 49ers paid that much out.  Obviously the results so far look good but still, Jimmy hasn't played as a full time starter for a single season yet.  He is getting paid like he is a top QB.  Makes no sense.

Just now, reo said:

What are they doing to teams? Are there teams that are cash strapped these days? I know we haven't been but don't pay mucg attention to other teams' cap situations.

I’m not saying they’re cap strapped but unproven QBs are getting paid the highest deals year after year and eventually it’s going to become a problem because it just keeps going up. It’ll get the point where a QB is making 1/3 of the teams salary that year. That’s a joke

Soxcat   
6 minutes ago, XanderMXIX said:

The players are the ones who should be the most pissed.  Each dollar given out to a QB is a dollar less that is available to the other players.  Also, add in another 5+ mil or so for the backup and that is a huge amount for one position.

Edited by Soxcat