Schefter: McDaniels Backs Out of Colts Job

Cyrus

2 minutes ago, Titanstattoo25 said:

The entire press conference was a joke. What rivalry?  Peyton and Brady had one. But the colts suck.

People are fawning over Ballard but he deserves way more shit than praise. 

Does Ballard not own ANY responsibility for offering the job to a shit bag like McDaniels?  Making the right hiring decisions part of being a boss. He failed his first big task. Chance to fix obviously but a good press conference doesn’t change that fact.

Exactly, they interviewed McDaniels twice. Belichick has indicated in the past that McDaniels is HC material and was angry he hadn't achieved a chance. Why does he now talk him out of it, Belichick, despite his reputation, cares more about coaches and players than to try to ruin someone's career by suggesting they change a decision like this at the 13th hour. There is a reason. Belichick has his sources. There is a very good reason somewhere, that's my guess. Ballard or Isray or both were hiding something big.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's when we knew this would happen:     

Posted Images

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Peter Schrager on GMF said the Colts loved Vrabel in the interview process but zeroed in on McDaniels. 

It's the Patriot effect. Winning a SuperBowl usually means losing some staff members. (eventhough they lost THIS one)

16 hours ago, Cam. said:

I bet McDaniels would've taken the Titans job if J Rob really wanted to hire him. 

I think this is right. As the process continued and people reminded me of his time in Denver, I started to get nervous that we might hire him. I'm glad we didn't, and I think all that happened showed that JRob never intended to go after him. The Colts look bad; McDaniels looks bad. Whoever they hire now will obviously not be their first choice. Yuck. 

As a Titans fan, though? :cmj:

26 minutes ago, Tex in a Can said:

Exactly, they interviewed McDaniels twice. Belichick has indicated in the past that McDaniels is HC material and was angry he hadn't achieved a chance. Why does he now talk him out of it, Belichick, despite his reputation, cares more about coaches and players than to try to ruin someone's career by suggesting they change a decision like this at the 13th hour. There is a reason. Belichick has his sources. There is a very good reason somewhere, that's my guess. Ballard or Isray or both were hiding something big.

Colts are up shit creek without a paddle with the coaching change and Luck's health still being a question mark.  Then throw on the fact they hired a staff before they hired the HC and you have the worst case scenario for attracting a new HC. I'll say this, JRob wasted no time getting his man. It was obvious he wanted to get a jump on other teams that were looking too. 

11 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

From the Pats side of the story they have a short window of a year or so to win another championship so the perspective on keeping their coaches is different now than before.  No way BB and Brady want to break in another OC.  They want to hit the ground running and play in another SB while they have the chance.

As for what might have happened on the Colts side of things who knows?  Luck was always a factor so any news to the negative of his return could easily sway the decision for McDaniels.  No way he wants the job if Luck isn't going to be the old Luck. 

Then again, McDaniels might have just had cold feet.   Everyone expects the guy to take the HC spot but he may have had doubts about the move all along.  Then the moment of truth comes and he bails.  It isn't all about money either.  It is all about well being.  If he is happy and having a good time doing what he is doing it makes sense to keep doing it.

I don't think that Luck was factor...not like anything has been certain with him as far as his shoulder goes.  Taking the job and relying on Luck is a pretty big gamble and Im sure that McDaniels knew that from the beginning.

Kraft did something to keep him...what that was I don't know cause it's hard to believe he could give him the money he was gonna get going to a HC position.  So if he truly said you are next in line...well doesn't take a genius to know Brady is gonna be gone when you get that chance.  So the situation won't be much better than the colts job minus Luck and at least you get a head start on getting your next QB...Jacoby isn't a terrible guy to hold down the ship while you draft someone.

My thought is that Kraft and Brady talked Belichick into one more yr...and then it's McDaniels job.  Here's a couple mill for your troubles and who do you really want to work for...me or that pill popper

if Josh is waiting for the pats coaching job I think he's making a mistake...they don't even have a GM...it's Belichchick..so now your coach is in place...and you cant give Josh that much power...and your gonna be looking for a gm....we know how that works out. 

Wait...just caught up a bit. So, the coordinators were hired on the premise of McDaniels, and they are already set, even though it won't be McDaniels???

That is hilarious. McDaniels will never get a HC offer from another franchise, so he better hope the Patriots honor whatever deal of succession they must have offered him. 

16 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

How could Luck not be some factor?  Any doubt (not being certain) about his return makes the choice to stay much easier. 

I don't think that Luck's status has dramatically changed over the last few weeks...everyone knows his situation is uncertain at best regardless of the various reports that have been coming out about him.

I think he was planning on taking the job regardless of Luck...the pats did something to change his mind.

23 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

Wait...just caught up a bit. So, the coordinators were hired on the premise of McDaniels, and they are already set, even though it won't be McDaniels???

That is hilarious. McDaniels will never get a HC offer from another franchise, so he better hope the Patriots honor whatever deal of succession they must have offered him. 

I hope the Pats renege on any kind of promise when Belichick hangs it up. I want to see where he winds up.

LOL at Ballard.

"The rivalry is back on". That was like when Joffrey was talking about how he was going to give Stannis the Mannis a "red smile" & Tyrion & Varys are laughing at him.

It was a rivalry when they had Peyton. Luck is a nice QB, nothing more. They got hammered by the Pats in the playoffs worse then us.

The smartest move at this point for the Colts is to promote one of the coordinators that they just hired to be the head coach. They are already committed to working with each other anyway, and there won't be the strain of forcing them on someone else and vice versa.

Edited by Denali

26 minutes ago, Face said:

LOL at Ballard.

"The rivalry is back on". That was like when Joffrey was talking about how he was going to give Stannis the Mannis a "red smile" & Tyrion & Varys are laughing at him.

Awesome reference but I'm thinking McDaniels is going to be the one having a purple wedding sooner or later...

4 hours ago, scine09 said:

I should be ashamed of myself because I actually wanted the guy despite yelling from the hills on this message board 2 years ago that they need to stay the hell away from McDaniels and I'd want literally anyone but him or Patricia as coach.  I should've stayed with my first instincts.

Don’t worry, you and many others would have licked his boots had he been hired