Post staff, Senior Bowl mock

kyle021

So we know we are going with LaFleur and Pees. Keeping the 34 and switching to a zone scheme west coast offense. 

Henry is the RB1 going forward but we need a change of pace. Fluellen sticks. 

Klein is a good fit but idk about Spain. I know Klein can also play C so that’s a bonus. Kelly also sticks. I think our OL stays the same but we do add a mid round pick at OG somewhere 

I set my eyes on FA with backup QB, third down RB, one more WR and a solid defender. Not a lot but enough to make the starters better and back end better. 

I retain Klug and Jones and Spain and Klein. Extend Lewan. Keep Searcy. Keep Walden too!

Cut Murray, Cyp, McCain, Cassel, Decker, Douglas. 

FA

QB - Chase Daniel - 4 yr 20 million

RB - Dion Lewis - 4 year 15 million

WR - Marquise Lee - 5 year 25 million

RT - Cam Fleming/Chris Hairston - 2 year 6 million

DE - Geno Grissom - 2 year 6 million 

ILB - Nigel Bradham - 4 year 16 million

CB - EJ Gaines - 4 year 20 million 

Grissom, Daniel are backups, Lewis change of pace back, Lee our #3 WR and takes over for Matthews after next year. 

Bradham starts next to Woodyard in base and Gaines starts outside opposite Jackson in nickel with Ryan at NB with Sims/Smith/Reed as backups

Draft

1) Ronnie Harrison - SS

2) Frank Ragnow - OC

3) Dorance Armstrong - OLB

4) Luke Falk - QB

5) Royce Freeman - RB

I think he can be an everydown back in this league. If it weren’t for a deep draft at RB he would be a third rounder 

6) Darren Carrington - WR

thats builds a strong depth 

QB - MM, Daniel, Falk

RB - Henry, Lewis, Fluellen, Freeman

WR - Davis, Matthews, Lee, Taylor, Sharpe, Carrington

TE - Walker, Smith, Stocker, Super

OT - Lewan, Conk, Kelly, Hairston/Fleming (either one)

OG - Spain, Klein, Levin

OC - Jones, Ragnow

DE - Casey, Johnson, Klug, Dodd, Grissom

NT - Williams, Jones

OLB - Orakpo, Morgan, Walden, Armstrong, Wallace

ILB - Woodyard, Bradham, Brown

CB - Ajax, Ryan, Gaines, Sims, Reed, Smith

FS - Byard, Searcy

SS - Harrison, Trawick

K - Succop

P - Kern

KR - Lewis

PR - Ajax

LS - Brinkley

theres your final 53

Grissom, Dodd add beef to the DL and moving Dodd adds to “front multiplicity” and a shot in the door for career resurrection. Johnson really came on after Jones injury and played just like he did the end of his rookie year. This time he added weight and strength. He is a very good pass rusher and was drafted to be a NT when that was a no no. He should have been drafted as a 5 tech and play like Casey. He has the same attributes as Casey and more athleticism. He would be a great 3 tech in a 43. He is the unquestioned starter across Casey going into next year. Jones will have to beat him out, but I think Jones is a way better NT than Williams. All our guys on the DL are versatile. I like Grissom from NE and I bank on JR signing him. He’s a great rotation piece and upgrade over King. 

At OLB we have Rak/Morgan entering last year of their deals. If both walk next year we get two conditional thirds likely and around 18-20 in cap space I think. We bring back Walden who proved a good signing, add Armstrong, kick Dodd to DE and get Wallace back. I thought Wallace looked flat out as good as Orakpo in preseason and start of the year. He was raw when we got him and he’s been coached up, hit the weights and really improved. He has great length, bend, size, speed and power. He can also cover and play the run and play ILB too. He’s invaluable. Hell. I think he was a big loss last year. 

You cant do much better with Walden, Armstrong and Wallace as your backup OLB

Bradham upgrades Williamson and allows Brown to focus on NLB duties solely. Wallace can play ILB for 16 games in a pinch and effectively all three downs. 

Ajax, Gaines, Ryan upgrade our NIckel Corners immensely 

Byard can do his thing and adding Harrison at 25 is a homer. He is a big get in round 1 and is Chancellor 2.0. He’s good in coverage and a monster in the run. 

Everyone will look look and see Ragnow at our pick in the second and laugh. Don’t laugh. There’s a good chance he will be there. There’s a lot of quality OT and OG’s in the draft along with QB and RB and DL and CB and S that will push late round 1 talent centers into mid to late second round. He is BPA and adds something to the OL for the future and also now. He can play OG and if Jones continues to struggle he could step in and play at a higher level. Jones is very smart and Ragnow is nasty and in the same mold with more athleticism. He can learn from Ben Jones and be the center for the decade. He’s a now and later pick. 

Dorance Armstrong is who I hope is at our pick in 3... freakish athlete coming off a down year and isn’t round 1 material and fits in the round 2-4 range. Getting him in 3 would be perfect. He would upgrade Dodd as an OLB and eventually start. Playing behind Orakpo and Morgan and Walden in year 1 is perfect. 

The big surprise here is a QB in 4 after signing Daniel in FA... Daniel is a great backup QB whose on a stop gap contract and gives us a veteran to backup MM and win games while Falk developes. I think we actually take a QB in 4 this year.

Freeman is my guy in the mid-late rounds. He is a west coast zone back with power, finesse, pass catching and blocking. He isn’t going to wow you with a 40 but his football talent is unquestionable. 

We roll with 5 WR and 4 TE... Walked and Smith can both play WR with one on the line and the other in the slot or out wide. Stocker is the TE in heavy formations over Smith. 

At WR we probably add a guy in the 6th and bring in a lot if Undrafted guys hoping to find a Keelan Cole

we get Sharpe back and I think he is the “Sims” to our WR Corp. he is great in a pinch and solid for stretches but not a guy you want starting 16+. He adds depth outside and is a savvy route runner with great hands. 

Taylor/Davis take big leaps forward and Matthews is in a contract year. FA is loaded with WR talent and Lee is a stud. Problem is he has been hurt a lot and good thing is he won’t command more than 7 million/yr on open market. We may have to pay more than 5/yr but that can change with incentives and bonus’s and guarantees. Darren Carrington is a late first round talent who was kicked off Oregon for weed? And played for ASU this year. Kept his nose clean and played stellar. He will drop to the mid to late rounds. He is a guy who if he is there in 5-6 I take. The talent at that point is too hard to pass up. He would actually bump Sharpe, Taylor for playing time immediately. 

Lee is the perfect slot guy for us with Davis and Matthews out wide and Taylor backing up the slot and Sharpe backing up outside. Plus Lee can play all 3 WR sets. 

Dissect. 

*added a vet RT - Cameron Fleming or Chris Hairston

*Chose to pick a guy in 6 with talent and off field issues who could/probably will be there for those alone not talent. 

This means likely cutting either Brinkley and using Ragnow there or cutting Fluellen and putting him back on PS. Either or. 

dont know much about either but I assume they aren’t true starters and can sub in for Conk in the meantime if he isn’t ready week 1

cyp sticks around i bet. 

dont care for the QB or RB in the draft if thats our FA above it. 

We need pass rushers and front 7 guys as much or maore than anywhere... so i think we need to find talent there and thats likely first two rounds. 

then oline to make the zone switch... and to make up for a slow start by our RT (probably get another vet swing guy here).. but we can get an interior guy rnd 3-5

1 minute ago, titanruss said:

cyp sticks around i bet. 

We need pass rushers and front 7 guys as much or maore than anywhere... so i think we need to find talent there and thats likely first two rounds. 

then oline to make the zone switch... and to make up for a slow start by our RT (probably get another vet swing guy here).. but we can get an interior guy rnd 3-5

Freeman is too good to pass up in 5

just like Falk. We need to invest in a quality backup QBOF. I’m fine with not going Falk if we do get Daniel and grabbing another front 7 guy or Safety or OL. Just fine with that.  

But i I like this plan. 

Its for now, and tomorrow. It upgrades everything with quality players. Starting players without spending a lot and keeping money around for extensions. 

I think front seven is fine if we keep Jones, Klug and switch Dodd to DE and bring in a vet DE like Grissom and drafting an OLB in 1-3

the dropoff in talent at 25-round 3 at OLB isn’t much. So get the star SS and equal talent at OLB while Orakpo/Morg/Walden play a lot and develop Armstrong who can also play day 1

people forget how damn good Johnson was at end of the year. 

Another year of him at DE opposite Casey and anchoring the NT spot with Jones is a big plus. Add in the versatility of Dodd, Grissom, Klug, Williams and we are better than we think. Casey is our star, and we have him surrounded with a bunch of talent. Upgrade the back end and the edge rushers and they’ll be better. 

I do agree about RT though... I think Conk will be fine week 1 but we can’t bank on it... with that FA plan there is more than enough money to find a competent backup RT in FA

i think Kelly would actually be better in a zone scheme than a power scheme due to his athleticism. Unless I’m wrong? Just the eye ball test. At least for a game or two we would be just fine. 

15 minutes ago, titanruss said:

cyp sticks around i bet. 

Have you watched Ronnie Harrison? If you haven’t... you should. If there isn’t a DE/OLB at 25 that we can’t get equal player in round 2-3 and Harrison is there... that pick better be turned in quicker than Jackson’s. 

Hes a a game changer 

side note - I added Fleming/Hairston at RT because you raise a valid point. 

We would have to make make a decision on the ILB spot about Bates vs Wallace which in my opinion would cut out Bates bc Wallace plays ST too and #2 RT is more valuable than #4 ILB

Final change made @titanruss brought a good point about a vet RT

ill admit idk either guy so I added both. 

Cameron Fleming and Chris Hairston as backup RT. Fleming is a NE guy and Hairston a LAC guy. 

If we kept one I would say Bates gets the axe because Wallace can play both OLB, ILB and ST where Bates is ILB only in name for ST play

so trimming to 53 we keep either RT and cut Bates and go with Wallace who can play OLB, ILB, and ST

Wallace is the jack of all trades every defense/special teams/ team needs. Plus he is highly talented, athletic and was destined for a year of legit playing time he earned. 

Hes a JR guy who JR loves and Vrabel will too

I’m going to make a bold prediction. 

Arden Key will not be drafted until day three do to character concerns. 

He is a lot like Devonte Fields bc he is athletically elite and a natural pass rusher. Character concerns causes a top 15 talent to drop to rounds 5+

Antonio Callaway WR Florida and Darren Carrington WR ASU same... off field issues causing a first round talent WR to slip to day 3... adding Lee to Davis/Matthews/Taylor/Sharpe makes grabbing Carrington easy in 6

Just can't see Cyprien gone yet, tackle-misser though he may be.  I do like Harrison, but because of this, I'm inclined to say pass rusher.

I like Daniel (can't see it, but actually could want to come here bc of oft-dinged-up Mariota) and Bradham (what is the verdict on Williamson?)

Lee (I think Decker returns) and Gaines (Adoree, Ryan, Sims...ehhh) seem too high profile to envision here, idk.

And I think we'll roll with just 2 qb's.

Somebody will take Key round 1.  Not us, of course, he's not a boy scout.  Pats probably scoop him up bc of course they do.

No way Armstrong is making it to the end of the 3rd round, I also think EDGE will be the 1st pick this year.  We lack serious depth/youth behind Morgan/Orakpo, both are decent OLB but they lack the explosive first step needed for the position.

@Soxcat Alabama players are hard to project into the NFL for how good the entire defense is, but one thing to note is since Dean Pees joined Baltimore they drafted 4 early Alabama defensive players.

Ravens 2017 - 1st round Marlon Humphrey CB / 3rd round Tim Williams OLB

Ravens 2014 - 1st round C.J. Mosley ILB

Ravens 2012 - 2nd round (no 1st round pick ) Courtney Upshaw DE

Archived