Titans Hire Tyrone McKenzie as ILB Coach

tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I think they're on the same page, and maybe Robinson strongly suggested hiring LaFleur, but it was technically Vrabel's hire. I can see Robinson wanting his guy for OC. While Pees is definitely a Vrabel guy. 

Robinson was with the Patriots for Pees' entire tenure there. Everyone is focused on the Vrabel connection, but I've seen very few mention that Robinson also had a connection.

Just now, Jonboy said:

Robinson was with the Patriots for Pees' entire tenure there. Everyone is focused on the Vrabel connection, but I've seen very few mention that Robinson also had a connection.

Yes. 

But Pees is literally Vrabel's mentor. 

You guys can call it whatever you want, but it'll be Marino's and Vrabel's signatures on the contracts of the assistant coaches. 

Just now, tgo said:

Yes. 

But Pees is literally Vrabel's mentor. 

You guys can call it whatever you want, but it'll be Marino's and Vrabel's signatures on the contracts of the assistant coaches. 

I'm just saying it would be insane to say Jon Robinson isn't the man pulling the strings. He handpicked Vrabel and then they hired a guy he interviewed for HC as the OC. Had to be his plan all along.

6 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I'm just saying it would be insane to say Jon Robinson isn't the man pulling the strings. He handpicked Vrabel and then they hired a guy he interviewed for HC as the OC. Had to be his plan all along.

I agree that LaFleur in particular was likely hired at the recommendation of Robinson after JRob, Strunk, Underwood, Marino all interviewed him. I would think the one coach Robinson would want to have a heavy hand in picking would be offensive coordinator. 

I bet Vrabel interviewed him too though, and that probably took some time to arrange that meeting logistically with all the other assistant coaching interviews likely going on behind the scenes. 

Edit: I think Robinson had wanted all along to hire bring in LaFleur as OC of course. I think his vision was (as other posters have mentioned) a quick clean coaching search. Interview Vrabel for HC, LaFleur effectively for OC, and Wilks for the Rooney Rule. 

This was a precisely executed pre-planned "search" with a predetermined outcome. 

Edited by tgo

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

This morning feels like being constipated and then all of the sudden it all comes out.

Nah, that's what it felt like on the Monday morning after Mularkey's season-ending presser.

You know, when JRob told us he'd flushed it.

This is like feasting after a short fast.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

I don't think he picked them per se. I think he had very heavy input on them though. Robinson made very clear that Vrabel had final say over the staff, which has been the structure in TN since the franchise moved. 

I agree with this.  I doubt the final decision on the coordinators was made exclusively by JRob.  I believe a mutual agreement was definitely in situ, but that MV made the final choices for his staff.  

BTW: I find it seriously funny that once the coordinators were announced, the conspiracy theories on "king of the mountain" battles emerges.  However, this is TR.