Schefter: Possible Titans OC - Ryan Day, Ohio State OC

Jamalisms

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Why not?  We made the playoffs with, according to some, a worthless dinosaur of a coach.  We have seen new coaching staffs come in and work wonders at other locations.  Rams and Philly to name a few.  Vikings as well.  It isn't like the talent level isn't decent.  Someone just needs to tap into what talent we have and JRob will have another off-season to improve the team even more.   

Yeah, but the Rams and Eagles had well established NFL coaching staffs and two of the best, most established defensive coordinators in the league. 

Plus they both had more talented rosters. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the reaction because everyone is like:   "We wanted innovation ... but like ... innovation that's guaranteed to work ..."   LOL. 

I love this forum . Everyone screams for new young coaching and innovative spread concepts. Titans might hire a young college Oc proficient in those concepts and the forum freaks out because he’s not

PK paid members must be fuming mad.  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

What offense were you watching.  We hardly threw down field at all.  In fact we should have done more of it.  Your analysis is stereotypical based on assumption and not fact. 

Huh? We threw downfield quite a bit this season.

Only a couple were complete, but they took a number of deep shots.  Often at the worst times IYAM, but they did take them.

They took two late in the game in SF that were drive killers.

The O-Line took a step back this season and everyone has acknowledged that,...  So why would you say we should have run more long-developing plays?

Help us out here Sox, 'cuz that makes no sense.

12 hours ago, Rogue said:

By "that" do you mean two winning seasons and a playoff game?  Could it have been more exciting?  Sure!  

I get it.  I was there too....watching shitty quarter after quarter.  I'm fine with moving on, and kind of excited by it, but I don't deny the "that" that got us a playoff win.  

That yearly collapse by the chiefs?

or that play by Mariota? 

Or that  piewalk schedule?

or that injury to luck?

or that injury to Watson?

or that other play by mariota?

or that o line Robinson built?

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah, but the Rams and Eagles had well established NFL coaching staffs and two of the best, most established defensive coordinators in the league. 

Plus they both had more talented rosters. 

Established how? McVay was an NFL coordinator for two years.

Pedersen wasn't calling plays in Kansas City.

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

Established how? McVay was an NFL coordinator for two years.

Pedersen wasn't calling plays Kansas City.

Pederson brought in Frank Reich, DeFilippo, and Mike Groh on that offensive staff (three former NFL coordinators) and kept their well established OL coach. And hired Schwartz as DC. 

McVay brought in LaFleur who was an established NFL assistant and hired Wade Phillips as DC. Also kept well established ST coach John Fassel and had veteran coaches like Skip Peete and Joe Barry. 

1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

We haven't even put together the coaching staff yet have we?

No, but the early reports don’t look promising. 

Hopefully they keep some of the good veteran assistants on staff or bring in a lot of them from around the league to supplement. 

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

Pederson brought in Frank Reich, DeFilippo, and Mike Groh on that offensive staff (three former NFL coordinators) and kept their well established OL coach. And hired Schwartz as DC. 

McVay brought in LaFleur who was an established NFL assistant and hired Wade Phillips as DC. Also kept well established ST coach John Fassel and had veteran coaches like Skip Peete and Joe Barry. 

Reich, DeFlippo and Groh are all guys who have had barely any NFL experience - like Vrabel. Groh is a WRs coach.

DeFlippo had one year coordinating the Browns in the NFL ... not exactly a wealth of experience. Reich was a QB coach before being a non-play-calling coordinator in San Diego. Again, not a wealth of experience.

You can argue Reich hasn't called a play on the field in his Football career. Not in college, not in the NFL.

So Pederson, who has never called plays, brought in a guy who has never called plays to help for his offense.

Matt Lefleur has called his own plays in ONE place his entire coaching career: Ashland. I don't even know what that is.

How are ANY of those guys that different then Ryan Day? I'll tell you how ... you saw their success this year.

The guy with the most play calling success above is DeFlippo ironically ... who was made the QB coach instead of coordinator on the Eagles staff.

Now I do like that both coaches got Schwartz and Philips. But is anyone like that out there? LeBeau is that only one with that kind of pedigree lol. 

Maybe Spagnolo ... but I think he's a 4-3 guy isn't he?

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Reich, DeFlippo and Groh are all guys who have had barely any NFL experience - like Vrabel. Groh is a WRs coach.

DeFlippo had one year coordinating the Browns in the NFL ... not exactly a wealth of experience. Reich was a QB coach before being a non-play-calling coordinator in San Diego. Again, not a wealth of experience.

You can argue Reich hasn't called a play on the field in his Football career. Not in college, not in the NFL.

How are ANY of those guys that different then Ryan Day? I'll tell you how ... you see them on the Eagles staff so NOW they're legit.

Now I do like that both coaches got Schwartz and Philips. But is anyone like that out there? LeBeau is that only one with that kind of pedigree lol.

They were legit, well respected coaches before they ever got to Philly. 

I followed all 3 guys and read a lot of great stuff about them before they got to Philly. 

Hiring one or two wet behind the ears coaches is fine if you surround them with NFL veteran coaches. 

But a first time HC with two first time coordinators doesn’t seem very prudent. Especially if you compound that by hiring college assistants around them. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I followed all 3 guys and read a lot of great stuff about them before they got to Philly. 

Hiring one or two wet behind the ears coaches is fine if you surround them with NFL veteran coaches. 

But a first time HC with two first time coordinators doesn’t seem very prudent. Especially if you compound that by hiring college assistants around them. 

Day aint on the same level as Reich, flip. lol, Perry ain’t even close to Wade, Schwartz.  

Just now, tgo said:

You read a lot of stuff about them ... OK.

The fact remains they were mostly position coaches or coordinators who never called plays.

But their resume is very similar to what we're looking at.

Ultimately, the only way this would've worked the way you wanted if there was a vet defensive coordinator out there that was any good. Who is that person? LeBeau is that only 3-4 vet that fits ... who else?

2 minutes ago, titansfb said:

Day aint on the same level as Reich, flip. lol, Perry ain’t even close to Wade, Schwartz.  

I find it hilarious that Reich and Flip are suddenly coordinators that have been tearing it up for years lol ... 

These guys were nobodies a year ago. And as I understand it neither have called plays in the NFL.

Schwartz and Wade are tough to duplicate. I'd love to have ideas there ... 

And if you guys remember I was defending the previous staff just as hard.

This balance of experience and innovation you're looking for is just not as easy as you all think it is. There's timing involved too.

Usually, you have to take a leap of faith somewhere and your staff becomes great and everyone wonders why their team can't have those guys.

Either direction you go in, you have to hope the staff learns and grows. Because you're not going to have the perfect guy going in. You're going to have weaknesses somewhere in the old vs. new philosophy.