Schefter: Possible Titans OC - Ryan Day, Ohio State OC

Jamalisms

2 minutes ago, TitanedUpSince'70 said:

That's what I want to eventually see with Marcus.  I think he's smart enough to learn to read a defense about as well as Jugghead did, in a few years.  Put him in his own comfortable system while he learns and then it doesn't matter who the OC is in the future, Marcus will hopefully learn well and have the keys by then anyway.

Yep, it will be a designer offense made around him, and if it works it will be his offense to run going forward no matter who the OC is.

It's risky and they don't have alot of time, but if it works and he has the brain pan, desire, and work ethic most believe he has it could prove to be a huge boon to him and this franchise having a decade of championship contention.

He's still gotta stay healthy though.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the reaction because everyone is like:   "We wanted innovation ... but like ... innovation that's guaranteed to work ..."   LOL. 

I love this forum . Everyone screams for new young coaching and innovative spread concepts. Titans might hire a young college Oc proficient in those concepts and the forum freaks out because he’s not

PK paid members must be fuming mad.  

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Smokes said:

Yep, it will be a designer offense made around him, and if it works it will be his offense to run going forward no matter who the OC is.

It's risky and they don't have alot of time, but if it works and he has the brain pan, desire, and work ethic most believe he has it could prove to be a huge boon to him and this franchise having a decade of championship contention.

He's still gotta stay healthy though.

Exactly.  Time to set this plan in motion...

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

This is fair. But, also, I think Flip appears unconsidered for either HC or OC. And that probably drives a bit. Less guaranteed and more just a loss of the expected.

I'm ok enough with a college guy, especially one with a second-person connection to Mariota. But it's risk piled on risk. The best response to me was someone on Twitter saying this feels like taking a hot at 18 in blackjack. It FEELS risky.

to me its more like doubling down with a 9 against dealers 7 up.

17 minutes ago, SuperFreak90 said:

This guy seems like he wants to run a hurry up offense like Chip Kelly does, and it really worked well for Mariota in the no huddle this year. It had to drive J-Rob crazy watching Mariota hesitate when he dropped back this year, and then scramble around only to get sacked or throw the ball away. Ryan Day seems like a statistical type of technical guy that wants to know where the ball goes on every play. I think this would be a really good hire. imo

regardless of the results Marcus seemed much more comfortable in the no huddle but didn't seem like we really hurried up...just Marcus calling the plays.  Still took his time to get to the right play.  With a simplified offense that could help Marcus actually speed up and get the play off putting even more pressure on the D would be pretty potent in stretches.  It's one of MM strengths so play to it. 

4 minutes ago, TitanedUpSince'70 said:

Exactly.  Time to set this plan in motion...

Should have been done once Whiz was canned, now the time is compressed.

Murlarkey took the QB being a key cog in the run game portion of these offenses as his take away from them, which I think is the portion that should be minimized and eventually discarded over time, sooner the better.

6 minutes ago, Smokes said:

Should have been done once Whiz was canned, now the time is compressed.

Murlarkey took the QB being a key cog in the run game portion of these offenses as his take away from them, which I think is the portion that should be minimized and eventually discarded over time, sooner the better.

Meh I like that Mariota had to go through pro concepts. We can literally run a spread offense that includes EVERYTHING.

some things to thin about: If I am a betting man, Id put a big wager that these will come true.

1. I guarantee you we will be better offensively next year when compared to this year...we averaged 3 pt's in the first quarter and very rarely ever scored on our first drives...I know we will be better than this...and next yr will show how bad T Robiskie truly was that a OC without any experience is head shoulders above what we had.

2. We WILL have a better record next year than this year. While somewhat successful, we will see that Mularkey was simply not a good coach or motivator. He is too stubborn and set in his older ways to be truly successful. We will see it in new attitude of the team. We will play fired up and inspired and we will simply win more games.

3. We will bring in a good QB coach and MM will have a year similar to year 2. I would bet it all that MM has a much better next year than this year. This year was  a lot of bad luck and miscues with injuries and new WR's and poor route running. It just cascaded. He threw a lot of picks that could have not been picks if 2 WR's were not in the same place due to poor route design. But MM needs to improve on his durability and confidence issues.

4. I think what will surprise people is that our OL will produce and play big again, allowing Henry to be a quality back. Our running game will improved drastically as things get more spread out and unpredictable. With  Robiskie you could stack the line cause you knew what you getting with 90% accuracy.

5. With MM playing much better, C Davis and DW and R Mathews/Decker(if still here) will have big years.

Bottomline, I will roll the dice with new blood any day cause I truly believe Mularky and Robiskie, while nice guys, are simply bad coaches for the modern game. 

Just now, big2033 said:

Meh I like that Mariota had to go through pro concepts. We can literally run a spread offense that includes EVERYTHING.

Never said we couldn't run a spread offense that could run everything, my thoughts are that they will be able to in time, but you build to that  out from the college concept that Marcus is comfortable in and tailor the offense to him from stem to stern.

Murlarkey calling his number as a runner and being a big part of his offensive run game plan was not how I would have used him, he's not Cam or Wilson when it comes to running and taking on taklers.

If you gonna draft these guys out of these college spread offenses your gonna have to either embrace it or just sit the guy and break him down and build him up on the sidelines for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, socaltitan said:

That's what I'm thinking too. I think we hear the name Chip Kelly and we freak out, but a lot of teams use these concepts now. Most notably the Chiefs, Eagles, Pats. Also, the Texans, and obviously Vrabel was there. He saw what they were doing with Watson and that could certainly influence his thinking with Mariota.

And to some extent MINN has used many of those concepts.  After using the short/quick passing concepts to torch the Titans in the season opener with Shaun Hill, they reverted to Norv's offense when Bradford came back.

And then dumped Norv in favor of Shurmer mid season.  Part of that was driven by their O-Line not allowing slow developing plays enough time.

A problem we share as well.

After watching a couple more of Day's interviews, and reading some more about the guy, I don't think he's as much of a pure Spread college guy as my first impression led me to believe.  But I still think this offense is going to need a dose of NFL experience that neither Vrabel or Day can provide.

Day seems like he would make a decent QB coach though.  I'm just not convinced he's OC material,...  Yet.