Vrabel named Titans HC

socaltitan

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. Only interviewed 3. Vrabel must have been the guy all along.    Lets see who he picks as coordinators.

One of the funniest tweets from Vrabel's Houston days.    

@tgo  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Hiring a def HC means any decent young OC that is hired will likely be gone in a few years tops as they will be credited with taking Mariota to the next level. Whether it's LeFleur or DeFilippo or even a most established guy like Reich. Its one reason I wanted them to go Off for the HC.

Well, it's worked for Belichick all these years. And someone on here cited the reason they wanted a defensive minded coach is because of a tendency to be a little more adaptable and flexible.

Also, our last three head coaches have all been from the offensive side of the ball. Maybe it's time to shake it back the other way.

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Hiring a def HC means any decent young OC that is hired will likely be gone in a few years tops as they will be credited with taking Mariota to the next level. Whether it's LeFleur or DeFilippo or even a most established guy like Reich. Its one reason I wanted them to go Off for the HC.

On the other hand I like that it opens the offense up without any obvious blockers on what a new OC can do. It must make the job seem more attractive than getting a HC who would have a lot of control of the offense.

As for losing the OC early in a best case scenario, I think teams have to plan ahead in situations like that, where they have some sort of transition plan away from their current OC while trying to keep the same success going.

Just now, OzTitan said:

On the other hand I like that it opens the offense up without any obvious blockers on what a new OC can do. It must make the job seem more attractive than getting a HC who would have a lot of control of the offense.

As for losing the OC early in a best case scenario, I think teams have to plan ahead in situations like that, where they have some sort of transition plan away from their current OC while trying to keep the same success going.

yeah I get all that. The issue is that Mariota is going to be on his 3rd OC in 4 years and it could be 4th in 5 years if he rebounds. 

5 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Good article.

Player development, preparation to detail,the ability to be open to change, and playing to your players strengths.

Vrabel comes across as a chameleon, not going to be anchored to a scheme in the come hell or high water fashion.

I'm pretty '"meh" on this hire.  I wanted an offensive-minded coach.  I wanted a guy with a strong resume of coaching success.  A guy with coaching in his veins.  Vrabel is none of these.

That said, one of the things that pissed me off the most about Mularkey was how unprepared this team seemed to be week in and week out.  As if no film had been consumed whatsoever...as if we start the season with a gameplan and that's the gameplan we stick with for 16 games.  Vrabel is a guy who is a preparation junkie.  He'll instill this in his coaches and instill it into his players.  Prepare, prepare, prepare.  If for no other reason, this has me absolutely pumped to see what he can do.  Can't wait to learn who the coordinators will be. 

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

How is this a sham hiring?  Of all the available coaches out there Vrabel was JRob's pick.  A sham would be spending weeks talking to a bunch of guys JRob had no intention of hiring.  

Never change, buddy.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic