Episode 156 - Titans Roller Coaster Season Ends With A Coaching Change

Jonboy

The Titans season ended with a playoff loss to the New England Patriots. But recent events have made the playoff appearance seem like a distant memory as the Titans parted with Head Coach Mike Mularkey. Jonboy, Jamal, and Scotty discuss the breakdown between Mularkey and General Manager Jon Robinson. This leads to a broader discussion on the state of the team as a whole and where they'll need help going forward.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_156.mp3

http://twotonecrew.libsyn.com/rss

Stitcher: 

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-two-tone-crew

Voicemail:

(615) 900-0282

Mailbag:
[email protected]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/titansreport

Twitter:
Titans Report- @titansreport

Jonboy- @RetroRaconteur

Jamal - @Jamalisms

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-two-tone-crew/id485247545?mt=2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm assigning blame, I think the passing game was maybe 20% Mariota and 80% Mularkey. Really hard to listen to @OILERMAN blame Mariota for the offensive production.   I could go through a

Romo said "throw the ball" on a play where you have an alert to a one on one matchup on a vertical route. You know - those plays that the Titans have had zero success doing. Who knows how he was being

lol Jamal on DLB "he has a year to year contract with death"   great 1.5hr podcast to wrap up an interesting season.   thanks to each of you for putting this out each week during t

Posted Images

Scotty cracks me up.

In the regular season NE's defense was dead last in the league against the pass.

In the post season Mariota is ranked the 3rd best QB so far.

More YPA than Brady, Bortles and Goff.

Better passer rating than Bortles, Ryan, Keenum and Goff.

But he says we had no chance against the NE defense if Marcus couldn't run.

Sorry Scotty, we failed because Mularkey had no plan.

And not only did he have no plan, he didn't even try. 

Was there much of a chance we win the game?  No probably not. 

But the only reason the Titans got embarrassed as bad as they did was on Mularkey.

He abandoned players that hadn't given up on him all year.

Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits,...  Mularkey's gone.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

8 hours ago, Jonboy said:

The Titans season ended with a playoff loss to the New England Patriots.

Getting ready to listen, but I found this first line interesting.  It took the New England Patriots to stop the 2017 Titans run.

I think the rift between Mularkey and JROB has been around for a lot longer than most think.  look at the personnel; most focus in on Henry the telling player is J Smith and how he was used.  How long did it take JROB to cut the FB and get a blocking TE.  I think Smith was used improperly and JROB knew Mularkey wasn’t going to change anything so he made a roster move and decided Mularkey needed to go.

Good podcast.  

One of the things you mentioned was never having a complete game.  Seattle, Oakland and the first Jax were maybe the best games as far as the team being exciting and fun to watch.  I didn't add the last Jax game because it was a playoff game actually and had it's own special energy.  The 2017 Titans could not manufacture points.  When they had the ball, you never thought "ok.  It's Mariota time."  "It's Henry/Murray time"  It just might be anybody.  A pass would sail over a wide open player, next pass a perfect throw into tight coverage.  Coming soon.  "Mariota to Davis"  circa, 2018

Defense 2018  Jayon Brown.  Is there a chance he's going to improve to where ILB is a strength?  

Mularkey did everything he or any coach could with this team, win/loss.  We had a playoff team, one and done talent.  Mularkey just didn't get any style points.  Zero.  Maybe the first Jax game.  Give him a 2.  Nearly every game we played was a snoozer if you weren't a fan of one of the teams playing.  

2018 is the year we should be expected to go deep, realistically contend.  2018 is the year we build out the defense.  I hated to hear you guys say this isn't a year with a lot of FA talent available. 

JRob is running everything now.  The new HC/staff will all be his choices.  That's part of why I think he's already decided every thing.  He's too particular to be in a spot where his first/second choices are gone.  

Listened to the first 1/2, great job as always, will listen to the second half on the way home. I agree with Scotty's point (which I've raised before), Mularkey knew he was getting fired before the press conference. He was thanking his coaches and saying up yours to the organization for firing him. Robinson said it was a factor because obviously it pissed him off tremendously, Robinson knew his press conference was going to point out there was an issue with the direction. Robinson would have preferred an opening where Mularkey admitted there were areas to improve, so he could drive his truck through it.

It's the only thing that makes sense, as much as we wanted change and thought Mularkey was an idiot, he really is no where near that stupid, in my opinion.

Great job guys, enjoy the podcasts tremendously.