H&M Racist Ad

abenjami

did they have ads of kids / models of all colors wearing this shirt?

or did they really just do the one with a black kid? 

if its the former, then people are being assholes... if its the latter then H&M is clueless at best. 

Big mistake.  BUT  I see white people call their children 'little monkey' often.  Black people don't do that.  

Oh praise the day when we all get to heaven, what a glorious day it will be.  Steve Bannon and Al Sharpton walking hand in hand.  No more anger over skin color, no more arguing period.  Everybody just loves everybody.  Just like that, poof and we become perfect.  In the sweet by and by.  If you don't like it, then go to hell.  In the sweet by and by.

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

Big mistake.  BUT  I see white people call their children 'little monkey' often.  Black people don't do that.  

Oh praise the day when we all get to heaven, what a glorious day it will be.  Steve Bannon and Al Sharpton walking hand in hand.  No more anger over skin color, no more arguing period.  Everybody just loves everybody.  Just like that, poof and we become perfect.  In the sweet by and by.  If you don't like it, then go to hell.  In the sweet by and by.

I call my kids monkeys when they eat bananas.  And I call them donkeys when they are purposely misbehaving to be funny.

1 hour ago, CreepingDeath said:

I call my kids monkeys when they eat bananas.  And I call them donkeys when they are purposely misbehaving to be funny.

Very bad error, but for some reason I doubt the person realized the racial differences.  Someone should have caught it.  They had research done about IQ testing of children.  They found that simple words like sofa used in a sentence caused black children to miss the question more than their IQ level.  We need to reach a level where we really realize intent above an honest mistake, even though it may be careless.

I used to travel all over.  One day I was just chatting it up with an older black guy and he said something about his wife's temper.  I said a real "cajun" huh.  The man was about 15-20 years older than me and at least half a foot shorter.  He looked at me like he wanted to knock me out.  I knew I had screwed up somehow.  I later realized that cajuns were white and not high class whites.  It was just an honest mistake.  

H&M should have ad people who are versed enough with populations to know what could be offensive.  But who's perfect?  Also, if you make a mistake and are sincere in your apology, I should be big enough to let it pass.  I had a friend who I got close with from LA.  We were talking on the phones one night and he casually mentioned some McDonalds employees bs'ing like some Harlem n******.  

I tried and tried to fit another word in there, but I could not.  I decided to just drastically curtail out friendship.  He's a conservative which was no problem for me.  I see people past politics.  I would have even let this go except I could see this is how he talks all the time.  He doesn't think of me like that, he talking about a certain class of blacks.  But the problem with that word is it was made a universal derogatory word for blacks.  

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Very bad error, but for some reason I doubt the person realized the racial differences.  Someone should have caught it.

The fact this happened is seriously impossible for me to believe.  This isn't just about one person missing the boat.  There were likely at least 100 people who saw this before it came out.  It wasn't just the photographer.  There were lots of other people who worked on the ad.  The kid's own parents were probably there as well.  After the ad was finished, it was reviewed/edited by multiple people and someone up the chain green lighted it.

But at the same time, I don't at all think it was intentional.  Why would a company put out a racist ad, knowing there would be outcry and they'd have to pull it and take a PR hit?  That doesn't make sense at all.

And on a tangent, if they did this same ad with a white kid, an asian kid, and a mexican kid, the ACLU would be up in arms that they didn't use a black kid.

2 hours ago, abenjami said:

And on a tangent, if they did this same ad with a white kid, an asian kid, and a mexican kid, the ACLU would be up in arms that they didn't use a black kid.

LOL!!

I don't want to be an apologist, but that 100 people checking are not doing their job.  Things get passes through with the old rubber stamp.

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

LOL!!

I don't want to be an apologist, but that 100 people checking are not doing their job.  Things get passes through with the old rubber stamp.

Or more often it's one person that wants to run it ranking above the other 100 who nod in agreement and sign off.  Business decisions are not usually popular votes, and CYA dictates you agree with the boss.

Not saying this is a good thing, but how it is in most cases.  The squeaky wheel oft gets the pink slip.

On the upside, things like this ad will likely create environments where honest feedback is more sought after in order to avoid missteps, and that in and of itself could create a better corporate culture with improved decision making up and down the ladder.

But probably not.

Archived