Scare-mongering

NashvilleNinja

In my own adult lifetime, I have listened to the implacable predictions of growing poverty, coming famines, expanding deserts, imminent plagues, impending water wars, inevitable oil exhaustion, mineral shortages, falling sperm counts, thinning ozone, acidifying rain, nuclear winters, mad-cow epidemics, Y2K computer bugs, killer bees, sex-change fish, global warming, ocean acidification and even asteroid impacts that would presently bring this happy interlude to a terrible end.

I cannot recall a time when one or other of these scares was not solemnly espoused by sober, distinguished and serious elites and hysterically echoed by the media. I cannot recall a time when I was not being urged by somebody that the world could only survive if it abandoned the foolish goal of economic growth. The fashionable reason for pessimism changed, but the pessimism was constant. In the 1960s the population explosion and global famine were top of the charts, in the 1970s the exhaustion of resources, in the 1980s acid rain, in the 1990s pandemics, in the 2000s global warming. One by one these scares came and (all but the last) went. - Matt Ridley

Hear me now and hear me well

I'm from Tennessee and ever since I was able to understand what it meant, people have been saying the world was going to end.  SOON.  When I was a little boy, at night the grown folks would sit around the pot belly stove and listen to the radio.  Grand Old Opry.  The Lone Ranger.  There were more but I don't remember.  There wasn't any internet.  No Playstation.  Awful.  I know, but we were happy.  There were scary stories of ghosts and haints that frequented peoples property.  One I remember was about 12 feet tall and he came across the field.  He went up to a bale of hay and ate some.

Another popular news story was about a strange creature who lived in the area.  He was spotted in Chapel Hill one night.  One of the neighbors was sitting in his car one night and he heard a scratch on the window.  The windows of the car were fogged up and when he wiped away the fogged window, he saw it.  It had a face like a man, but it wasn't really a man.  It had hoove for hands that were rubbing on the window and red eyes.  It ears were more like horns and it just peered in the window.  It was the devil.  Other adults chimed in and said they knew people who had see him.  He lived down in Chapel Hill, Tennessee.

But the set you straight story was "nobody will know the day or the time, but the world was going to end soon"  All the signs have already come.  The world is going to end soon.  Mostly, it's older people who hold to this story the most because they have had all their fun and want to be one of the last people to get to enjoy the earth.  

My advice, pay no attention to any of it.  Donate money if you want to help starving people.  Set your personal goals and stay focused on what you want in your life.  Be as happy as you can.  Hate no one.  Love people and especially the ones in your life.

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

I'm from Tennessee and ever since I was able to understand what it meant, people have been saying the world was going to end.  SOON.  When I was a little boy, at night the grown folks would sit around the pot belly stove and listen to the radio.  Grand Old Opry.  The Lone Ranger.  There were more but I don't remember.  There wasn't any internet.  No Playstation.  Awful.  I know, but we were happy.  There were scary stories of ghosts and haints that frequented peoples property.  One I remember was about 12 feet tall and he came across the field.  He went up to a bale of hay and ate some.

Another popular news story was about a strange creature who lived in the area.  He was spotted in Chapel Hill one night.  One of the neighbors was sitting in his car one night and he heard a scratch on the window.  The windows of the car were fogged up and when he wiped away the fogged window, he saw it.  It had a face like a man, but it wasn't really a man.  It had hoove for hands that were rubbing on the window and red eyes.  It ears were more like horns and it just peered in the window.  It was the devil.  Other adults chimed in and said they knew people who had see him.  He lived down in Chapel Hill, Tennessee.

But the set you straight story was "nobody will know the day or the time, but the world was going to end soon"  All the signs have already come.  The world is going to end soon.  Mostly, it's older people who hold to this story the most because they have had all their fun and want to be one of the last people to get to enjoy the earth.  

My advice, pay no attention to any of it.  Donate money if you want to help starving people.  Set your personal goals and stay focused on what you want in your life.  Be as happy as you can.  Hate no one.  Love people and especially the ones in your life.

Hey, I thought the Devil went down to Georgia... and Johnny took care of him... 0:)

On 1/7/2018 at 6:32 PM, Number9 said:

This is true, the ultimate fear mongering is of HEYYYYULLLL REPENT NOWWWWWUUUUUHHHHHHH! 

And of the coming Apocalypse. Which is always around the corner. Cept when it's not and it's proponents die, leaving their children to harbor the same delusions. 

Don't worry, one of these says they will be right.

Archived