UPS missing guaranteed delivery (what if it had been the USPS)

9 Nines

I want to point out that it was a commercial, no-government business that did this. 

I had an overnight, UPS guaranteed delivery of a package that was not delivered. I called UPS earlier today when tracking was stating the package was in Kentucky.  The representative said it was delayed but assured me that it would be delivered tomorrow.   Now, the tracking is projecting 12-26 delivery.   It was guaranteed overnight service by UPS.  The UPS representative was nice and answered most of my questions, but he did not seem to understand the concept of guarantee, when I asked what the next day delivery guarantee meant/what is UPS going to do now, instead just making excuses why it was not guaranteed.  After listening to him, I agreed that his excuses explained why the package will not be physically delivered by the promised date but I wanted to know what the guarantee is - what does UPS do now.  He had no answer, instead going into the excuses again.

I hope to get a refund on the shipping by the merchant.  I want to point this out because it was UPS.  Had the problem, especially the part about the representative not understanding my "guarantee" question, happened by the US Postal Service, and happened to others , I suspect many would blame the government, inferring that a business would have done better. 

Edited by 9 Nines

I've been told multiple times that UPS was failing badly this holiday shipping season. 

We've been going in at 5:00 AM the last 3 weeks, carrying packages for 2 hours, carrying our routes with packages and then in the PM going back out with packages. In most instances the packages arrive 1-2 days early. We also hired temp people for the sole purpose of doing nothing but delivering packages 

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I've been told multiple times that UPS was failing badly this holiday shipping season. 

We've been going in at 5:00 AM the last 3 weeks, carrying packages for 2 hours, carrying our routes with packages and then in the PM going back out with packages. In most instances the packages arrive 1-2 days early. We also hired temp people for the sole purpose of doing nothing but delivering packages 

I had to pick up a neighbor’s package last night because it was delivered a week early and they’re out of town.  

Edited by CreepingDeath

UPS around here has been dropping off packages past 930pm or so.   In fact I had three our four deliveries the past few weeks all of them after 9 at night. 

I guess the best you can do is not wait until 2 days before Christmas to overnight a package.

I order a LOT from Amazon.   Looking back at this past year I've ordered over 75 items.   I've noticed about 80% of them now come USPS.  USPS is the ones doing the Sunday deliveries for Amazon as well.  Never had a 2 day shipping item not get here on time when delivered by USPS but a few times my Amazon orders coming through UPS have been late a day.  I simply call Amazon and complain and they extend my prime membership by a month for free.

8 hours ago, Blackjack said:

I order a LOT from Amazon.   Looking back at this past year I've ordered over 75 items.   I've noticed about 80% of them now come USPS.

UPS drops off about 30% of their orders at the post office. Because they charge more they can use the PO and still make a profit

21 hours ago, Blackjack said:

UPS around here has been dropping off packages past 930pm or so.   In fact I had three our four deliveries the past few weeks all of them after 9 at night. 

I guess the best you can do is not wait until 2 days before Christmas to overnight a package.

I order a LOT from Amazon.   Looking back at this past year I've ordered over 75 items.   I've noticed about 80% of them now come USPS.  USPS is the ones doing the Sunday deliveries for Amazon as well.  Never had a 2 day shipping item not get here on time when delivered by USPS but a few times my Amazon orders coming through UPS have been late a day.  I simply call Amazon and complain and they extend my prime membership by a month for free.

On the flip side, I had an online friend who had a bed delivered to their apartament at 4 AM in the morning.

At least with USPS they are kind of consistent as to WHEN they will deliver it.  UPS is all over the place.  It could be early in the day or late at night.

I was dropping off presents at USPS.  Free boxes, plenty of kiosks, good ux even entering addresses.  While shoving packages through the dropbox they got stuck, too many on the other side.  Heard someone come over and sort it out.  Dropped the rest in, interrupted a lady with her Christmas cards to say thank you through the letter slot.

USPS has their act together.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:03 AM, OILERMAN said:

UPS drops off about 30% of their orders at the post office. Because they charge more they can use the PO and still make a profit

UPS is brilliant in their guaranteed service.  UPS, instead of concluding that the guaranteed delivery date of 12-22-17 was not met five days after that date, needs to do an investigation to determine if the package is lost, once it is determined that the package is lost, then the tracking number can get coded that the guaranteed next day delivery was not met and refund can then be issued to the shipper (and the shipper will not do anything until UPS states the package is lost) but it cannot be concluded to be lost until the investigation is finished and the investigation stays open, never concluding, until the package is found.   So if the package is truly lost, it of course will never be found, and therefore the investigation will stay open forever, which means UPS is free of its guaranteed obligation.

Edited by 9 Nines

On 12/24/2017 at 8:51 PM, patsplat said:

I was dropping off presents at USPS.  Free boxes, plenty of kiosks, good ux even entering addresses.  While shoving packages through the dropbox they got stuck, too many on the other side.  Heard someone come over and sort it out.  Dropped the rest in, interrupted a lady with her Christmas cards to say thank you through the letter slot.

USPS has their act together.

Just a follow-up - all my packages were delivered on time, even one that went from NYC to Hawaii.

Merry Christmas!

On 12/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, 9 Nines said:

UPS is brilliant in their guaranteed service.  UPS, instead of concluding that the guaranteed delivery date of 12-22-17 was not met five days after that date, needs to do an investigation to determine if the package is lost, once it is determined that the package is lost, then the tracking number can get coded that the guaranteed next day delivery was not met and refund can then be issued to the shipper (and the shipper will not do anything until UPS states the package is lost) but it cannot be concluded to be lost until the investigation is finished and the investigation stays open, never concluding, until the package is found.   So if the package is truly lost, it of course will never be found, and therefore the investigation will stay open forever, which means UPS is free of its guaranteed obligation.

Basically UPS is Melvin hiding deliveries

USPS has been pretty slow around here the past couple weeks. 

I mailed two envelopes to local addresses last Monday 12/18. The first arrived yesterday and the second today. 

Meanwhile someone in Oakland mailed me a Xmas card on 12/22 and I got it 12/26.