SPOILER Wars: The Last Jedi

Starkiller

55 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Honestly, if it was Ackbar everyone would be cheering for his noble sacrifice. So it’s not the storytelling mechanism I don’t think that bothers people.

It's not that she sacrificed herself though, at least to me, it's that she was prepared for going down with the ship only to have that idea after 10 transport ships were downed

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to point out that wanting more explanation for certain sequel characters now, is different than not getting explanation in the original trilogy.   Of course you have to be okay with c

The whole movie was about flipping expectations and turning the world on it's head while passing it off to a new generation.   Set up a scenario where you think this small band of heroes (Fi

My biggest gripes were not only the “nothingness” of the Snoke/Rey backstories but also Super-Leia out of nowhere and portraying Luke as a coward.  

21 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It's not that she sacrificed herself though, at least to me, it's that she was prepared for going down with the ship only to have that idea after 10 transport ships were downed

I think the editing of the film makes it seem like there's a much longer space of time between the transports going down and her decision. The transport ships we're being taken down in succession. So... maybe 2-3 minutes to react and respond? Maybe a bit less.

I honestly just think that people don't like Holdo. That's fine. By definition these minor characters are supposed to move the major characters or plot forward. So in a sense they're all contrived. Maybe hers was a bit more apparent than others? I didn't get that sense in theaters (honestly), but I knew her character was in the movie before seeing it, so I may have been more prepared for her appearance. 

And again in response to the "girl power" stuff and general "Hollywood forced diversity". I think it's important to think about how other people who are not like you perceive these sequences. For the most part, white men have seen every hero / action trope there could be. But most women, and most other people of color have never seen those things happen in a major movie with people "like them". (and don't look like Gal Gadot).

Where you see some unabashed "girl power" moment, maybe we should recognize that the scene may actually be meaningful to someone else. Maybe these movies should be made for the entire audience (everyone)... this is Star Wars after all. Rose, Bohdi, Holdo, etc - these may be significant to someone else even if they're not significant to you. I think it's good to understand that and not have very narrow palates when there's a wide audience who matters just as much as you do.

2 hours ago, Cyrus said:

The transports were off the radar. The capital ship continued on to be a wild goose for the capital ship to chase.

How widely criticized would a cruise control function be if they wrote that in? 

Honestly, if it was Ackbar everyone would be cheering for his noble sacrifice. So it’s not the storytelling mechanism I don’t think that bothers people.

If it was Ackbar, people (both on the ship and the movie watchers) would have trusted him to have a plan. That’s why they had to unceremoniously kill him off. Which also pisses fans off...

The problem is that Holdo has no credit with the fans or with the people onboard. If she were some sort of accomplished Resistance/Rebel leader then it could have been communicated to us through Poe or any of the other characters onscreen. Instead Poe makes her come off as someone with no plan and no background as a leader. And her decision to keep her plan secret just makes her look like she has no plan. Then then we get the whole annoying white ford bronco chase. 

I understand why they made the plot choices they made. It pushed forward the entire Finn/Rose storyline that otherwise would not be happening. But those plot decisions and that storyline were both stupid.

30 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

If it was Ackbar, people (both on the ship and the movie watchers) would have trusted him to have a plan. That’s why they had to unceremoniously kill him off. Which also pisses fans off...

The problem is that Holdo has no credit with the fans or with the people onboard. If she were some sort of accomplished Resistance/Rebel leader then it could have been communicated to us through Poe or any of the other characters onscreen. Instead Poe makes her come off as someone with no plan and no background as a leader. And her decision to keep her plan secret just makes her look like she has no plan. Then then we get the whole annoying white ford bronco chase. 

I understand why they made the plot choices they made. It pushed forward the entire Finn/Rose storyline that otherwise would not be happening. But those plot decisions and that storyline were both stupid.

Expanding more on Ackbar - he's important because he's a meme. There's not a ton else in the OT that points to him being anything other than a sidebar character.

32 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Expanding more on Ackbar - he's important because he's a meme. There's not a ton else in the OT that points to him being anything other than a sidebar character.

He is still a fan favorite, regardless of not being an important character from the movies. 

Regardless of that, he is clearly the head of the Rebellion's fleet, so that gives him ample credit. And he still has that as the admiral of the Resistance fleet years later. Killing him off and replacing him with Holdo leaves a vacuum in the position as far as the fans are concerned, especially as we get no reason to think she has any plan or qualifications.

They could have simply had a thowaway like saying she was “The hero of the Battle of _______” and she instantly gets credit as someone who knows what she is doing. But by doing that, then Poe cannot undercut her by sending off Finn and Rose.

I think it was the worst Star Wars to date and i liked Rogue One and TFA. It did not feel like a Star Wars movie at all. Finn and Rose plot was boring and dumb and they really focused on that neckless for who knows why. Poe killed most of the rebellion because of his recklesness. I just dont really care for the new characters and they trashed the old ones, they are just being tossed to the side. 

I feel like the scale of both the Darkside and the Rebellion is extremely small, like the impact isnt felt by the rest of the galaxy. What new places did it add? It mostly was taken place on ships.

Last point Hamil was right in saying that wasnt his Luke Skywalker, i dont think it was anybody's Luke Skywalker. Im sure i can add more negative points but these are just off the top of my head. 

I honestly dont give a crap about the franchise anymore

On 1/3/2018 at 11:33 AM, wiscotitansfan said:

Besides the fact that none of that girl power stuff actually relates to remotely anything I said or believed.... Def just went on about 3 extra unnecessary paragraphs for something Jamal said.

At one point they show an instrument panel/electronic control ship thing and 4 people in a line in front of it and THEY ARE ALL WOMEN! 

You mean to tell me women CAN DO STUFF? Well, shit. I didn't know that. THANKS HOLLYWOOD!