Robiskie Didn't Allow Audibles When OC For Browns

Jonboy

33 minutes ago, tgo said:

Could do that since his contract is likely up, but I personally think he adds a lot of value and would be there to help mentor Michael. 

Plus, Robiskie is the best WR coach in the league and would be nice to have him help in that area and be a general veteran enforcer of the Mularkey doctrine on offense. 

Why is Robiskie the best WR coach in the league? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it’s why Maroita is struggling, the Browns weren’t allowed to audible in 2004

10 years ago was still 2007. Fucking dinosaur.

Why not just ditch Robiskie all together?

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Why is Robiskie the best WR coach in the league? 

I guess I should have said one of the best, but he’s always been known around the league as a top notch receivers coach, up there with guys like Ray Sherman, Jerry Sullivan, Fred Graves, etc. 

Gary Kubiak is considered a great OC. Prior to coaching Manning, unless you were in the two minute offense, he didn't allow audibles. He gives the QB two plays and he believes, there are counters in those two plays to handle anything the defense throws at the QB. The QB's responsibility is to be able to execute the counters. Not change plays at the LOS.

So, knowing Garcia's first NFL offense was Bill Walsh's WCO, I'm not surprised he would find any other 2004 offense inferior. It's an easy shot to take at Robiskie. I would hope he has improved in 13 years. Also, this is still Mularkey's offense. If he didn't like what Robiskie was doing, he would take over the play calling duties.

Kyle Shanahan is considered a young, offensive genius. Yet, two years ago, he did not like using the no-huddle offense. In his first year as the Falcon's OC, he clashed with Matt Ryan because Ryan loved the no-huddle tempo that was implemented by....wait for it........ Mike Mularkey.

When Mularkey was the Falcons' OC, he noticed how effective Ryan was running the two minute offense and taught him the intricacies of reading the defenses at the LOS and started running more up tempo offense as a change of pace instead of waiting until the two minute warning.

Here's a good article on how Mularkey worked with Ryan and tailored the offense to his strengths:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80c77e5a/printable/mularkey-has-given-falcons-extreme-makeover-on-offense

"The offense is a personnel-based scheme, where Mularkey and his staff tailor plays and play calls to the abilities of the talent. It's a system Mularkey devised as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator in 2001 with fellow offensive assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, currently the assistant head coach and head coach, respectively, with the Arizona Cardinals, who, like the Falcons, boast a 6-3 record."

"It started with us meeting and evaluating our personnel, and in reality, this system started with Kordell and worked its way down from there," Mularkey said. "We saw what we had offensively, player-wise, and said, 'Let's fit what we have here. Tinker some things -- don't even install things -- that we know our left tackle can't do. Even though it looks good or another team is successful with it, let's not put any player in a position where he is uncertain if he can do it.'

"You want your quarterback to have success, but if one guy isn't put in the position to be successful, you can't run that play."

The only real constants through the years in Mularkey's system have been blocking tight ends and tough tailbacks. The quarterbacks and offensive lines have had a variety of skill sets, so Mularkey has had a variety of ideas, sets and schemes.

3 minutes ago, Btowner said:

Also, this is still Mularkey's offense. If he didn't like what Robiskie was doing, he would take over the play calling duties.

Not necessarily. Robiskie has hinted, in fairly plain language, that Mularkey has expressed his displeasure on a few different occasions. But Mularkey isn't the guy who is going to change too much, especially during the season.

If Mularkey is planning to make any changes at OC it won't happen until after the season is over. And no, just because Mularkey may not like what Robiskie is doing it doesn't mean he would take over the duties unless we just weren't moving the ball or scoring at all, which isn't the case. He's not Ken Whisenhunt, fwiw.

Runbiscuit isn't the only party to blame for inconsistencies on offense. The players still have to execute the plays that have been called and they've been inconsistent doing that the whole year.

Speaking of Kyle Shanahan. People think he started running more up tempo to appease Matt Ryan. That's only half true. The QB's headset is turned off when there's 15 seconds left on the play clock. Shanahan wants the QB at the LOS, so his assistants can get a look at the defensive sets and then he calls the plays accordingly.

Shanahan did this in Washington, Atlanta and is now doing it with the 49ers. McVay is now doing the same thing with the Eagles. So, it's still an OC minimizing audibles  at the LOS

I guess Robiskie was ahead of his time in 2004. 

:8_laughing:

http://www.knbr.com/2017/12/01/sean-mcvay-receiving-credit-for-kyle-shanahans-audible-strategy/

3 hours ago, Btowner said:

Here's a good article on how Mularkey worked with Ryan and tailored the offense to his strengths:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80c77e5a/printable/mularkey-has-given-falcons-extreme-makeover-on-offense

"My experience in Miami, I'm not going to say it was bad, but I was attempting to call and run other people's offenses that I didn't have familiarity with," Mularkey explained. "This (in Atlanta) is the one I used in Pittsburgh and Buffalo. It's nice to have some common things back. The coaching staff picked right up on it, which was the biggest thing.

This is perfect for an OMan bashing.  Mularkey should be able to run it no matter who's playing.

3 hours ago, Btowner said:

Speaking of Kyle Shanahan. People think he started running more up tempo to appease Matt Ryan. That's only half true. The QB's headset is turned off when there's 15 seconds left on the play clock. Shanahan wants the QB at the LOS, so his assistants can get a look at the defensive sets and then he calls the plays accordingly.

Shanahan did this in Washington, Atlanta and is now doing it with the 49ers. McVay is now doing the same thing with the Eagles. So, it's still an OC minimizing audibles  at the LOS

I guess Robiskie was ahead of his time in 2004. 

:8_laughing:

http://www.knbr.com/2017/12/01/sean-mcvay-receiving-credit-for-kyle-shanahans-audible-strategy/

Bet you the Pats headsets aren’t cut off after 15 seconds 

10 hours ago, tgo said:

Could do that since his contract is likely up, but I personally think he adds a lot of value and would be there to help mentor Michael. 

Plus, Robiskie is the best WR coach in the league and would be nice to have him help in that area and be a general veteran enforcer of the Mularkey doctrine on offense. 

no he's not. he's nowhere near the best WR coach. 

he was gifted 2 very good WR in ATL

8 hours ago, Btowner said:

Gary Kubiak is considered a great OC. Prior to coaching Manning, unless you were in the two minute offense, he didn't allow audibles. He gives the QB two plays and he believes, there are counters in those two plays to handle anything the defense throws at the QB. The QB's responsibility is to be able to execute the counters. Not change plays at the LOS.

So, knowing Garcia's first NFL offense was Bill Walsh's WCO, I'm not surprised he would find any other 2004 offense inferior. It's an easy shot to take at Robiskie. I would hope he has improved in 13 years. Also, this is still Mularkey's offense. If he didn't like what Robiskie was doing, he would take over the play calling duties. 

As to your first paragraph, sure that can (and has) worked plenty in this league. But it only works consistently if the guy calling the two plays is doing a good job with calling them. If he’s sending in two bad plays often enough, it doesn’t work out well. 

As to your second paragraph, I think it’s pretty clear giving the QB more latitude than two plays is the better system these days. 

I’ve seen tons of plays this year where fairly simple audibles would have worked a lot better than what was called.  Some absolutely basic concepts are being ignored by this offensive staff because their mindset is they are going to try to do what they want to do as opposed to taking what the defense is giving them.