"8-4 A Mirage" (more media hate)

Jamalisms

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

8-4 is definitely a mirage...we should actually be 9-3. 

Hears to more such threads as this...   9-4 A Mirage 10-4 A Mirage 11-4 A Mirage 12-4 A Mirage Most likely to lose in the Wild card Lucky to be in Divisional Ex

I think we all agree that they've been underwhelming in the wins.   However, if they win the division or get a wild card do you know what would happen if they fired Mularkey?  The national m

6 hours ago, Face said:

Jesus talk about a letdown. It's almost like he even knows he stinks, his body language is awful.

It's a different level of athleticism in the NFL. He doesn't have the raw talent to shred an NFL defense. Gotta be a big gut check based on his college numbers. 

Plus, we are talking about Western Michigan schedule here. He's gonna need to learn to be a possession guy. He needs to be match against NB or linebackers in the slot. Imagine Larry Fitz with a little less speed + less crisp routes. Essentially he's a shorter version of Alshon Jeffrey. 

The team and media need to stop sucking his dick and start giving him end zone jump balls, shorter routes or big posts. 

IMO, the one saving grace for this team is that they've somehow gotten to 8-4 without firing on all cylinders offensively.

If you look at the teams with better records...the Patriots are the Patriots, and have the #1 offense in the league. The Steelers have the league's leading rusher, leading receiver, the #4 defense, and a top-ten QB.   These are pretty darned good teams playing at a high level....and yet the Titans only trail them by two games.  The Pats and Steelers are already at a high level and probably won't improve much beyond what we've seen thus far....but the Titans are a different story.  TONS of room for improvement there, for sure.

We've seen more than a couple 9-7 or 10-6 teams go on to win the Super Bowl after getting hot at the right time.   None of those teams was seen as a legitimate contender or even a dark horse as they muddled their way through the regular season to finish a game or two above .500....but once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season;  anything can happen.

The team we've seen so far....hell, they'll be lucky just to make the playoffs, let alone advance. 

But if they can hit their stride and sustain it over a 4-5 game stretch like they did last year....anything is possible.     And if by some stroke of luck that happens.....nobody will give a damn how they got there.

Bottom line is that the expectation coming into this season was to make the play offs. Unless we completely bottom out we should make the play offs, so expectation met. No the offense has looked ugly all season, but on the flip side the defense has played better so it all evens out. 

And who gives a damn about point differential. I would rather be a team like the Giants that barely made the play offs and struggled all the way to an improbable Super Bowl victory than a Colts team that trashed teams all year in the regular season only to get embarrassed in the play offs every single year.

1 hour ago, TampaTitan said:

I hope we stomp the Jags into the earth, you know, since we're so clearly inferior to them, then go on to win the division and a playoff game. I just want to see these guys cringe. 

You know Jalen Ramsey’s dreading the day his daddy, Derrick Henry, comes back to town. 

3 hours ago, abenjami said:

Probably not during that time period, although they haven't really been as good since LT retired and Norv was fired.  I guess it depends how we qualify that question.  Are we talking about total opportunities pissed away without winning s single Super Bowl, or total opportunities?  Because if it's the latter, you could argue a team like the Packers.

Now if you take it back a few more years, you could easily argue no team pissed away more opportunities than the Titans.

I think those Charger teams were better than the Titans.  They were just loaded on defense, had a better passer at QB and just overall better skill people offensively.

The Packers won a Super Bowl.  Yeah they have been slightly disappointing but winning in the playoffs is hard.  You need a lot to go right.  Had Green Bay not won then it would be a different story.

The team isn't terrible, though they have struggled at things that matter... like passing efficiency.  

The defense has been hot and cold and because of the nature of man coverage, seem to play well against weaker QB's (with the exception of this last weekend) and poorly against good QBs who can make a quick read, get rid of the ball and adjust protections to pick up blitzs.

I don't know the stats but the running on first and second down seem to be below average for 3/4ths of the game which consistently puts them in poor 3rd down situations where everyone knows it's going to be a pass and then they put them in max coverage and run two routes and so it takes a perfect throw or a perfect route to pick up the third down.

Last year if it was 3rd and five, I felt confident that Mariota would find a way to get it.  This year, I'm up and down.  

They don't make a whole lot of mistakes though.  Penalties are really low.  They generally start with decent field position.  They make most of the kicks.  They play field position pretty well.  They manage the clock pretty well.  They don't give up a ton of rushing yards or TDs so teams tend to move the ball on them but have to settle for field goals instead of TDs.  

I know it hasn't been pretty and I know Mariota hasn't taken the next step like so many of us hoped he would and Corey Davis and others have a long way to go.... BUT this is still a pretty good team with a ton of young talent.  

The oline has to block better.  Mariota has to play better.  Robiskie has to do a better job on second down of setting up third down.  Davis has to improve.  Henry needs to prove he's ready, the corners have to figure out ways to take away guys like Hopkins.  I would prefer if we had a kicker who could nail a 50+ yard field goal, a WR who could get open every play, an elite QB, and an all star RB to go with him but this is still a pretty good team and young and I would take them over about 20 other teams in the league right now, maybe even more.

SO.... stop complaining and enjoy the fact that we are 8-4 and well on our way to the playoffs.  I think they end 11-5 and that would be the best season we've had since what 2008?  Also, this is a team that likes to grind it out and does the hard stuff very well.  This idea that they are going to the playoffs and can't beat anyone is just wrong imo.  The NFL is all about matchups and if they can get the right matchups they can hang with anyone.  

4 hours ago, Stan said:

See McAdoo. 11-5 playoffs previous year next year bye bye. 

Totally different situation.  McAdoo was always a bit of an odd ball in NY and was never really beloved by the fans.  Not that Mularkey is but NY is a different situation when if you don't win, coupled with being unpopular and you have little chance.  Mularkey can survive in a market like Nashville if he takes the team to the playoffs this year.  Even if they struggle next year I don't think the public outcry will be so great that they'll fire him.  Particularly if they extend him this offseason.  Unless year is such a disaster that they have no choice.  Like the players quit on him and they can't have him around anymore for the morale of the team.

9 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Titans coaches would be smart to print all these tweets for locker room decoration.  

impossible, it would be all black marker from them having to redact the well-deserved slaughtering of the coaching and scheme.