Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Episode 149 - Titans Winning Ugly, Back Atop the AFC South

Jonboy   

The Titans offense continued to sputter in Indy. Fortunately for the Titans, a stout defensive effort combined with a timely Colts mistake helped the team improve to 7-4 on the year. An afternoon loss for the Jags brought the two AFC South foes into a tie atop the division yet again. The playoffs are certainly in sight...but has the season been a success?

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_149.mp3

http://twotonecrew.libsyn.com/rss

Stitcher: 

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-two-tone-crew

Voicemail:

(615) 900-0282

Mailbag:
[email protected]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/titansreport

Twitter:
Titans Report- @titansreport

Jonboy- @RetroRaconteur

Jamal - @Jamalisms

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-two-tone-crew/id485247545?mt=2

Tnasty   

Great as always guys, appreciate the insights and thank you for your time in making these.

Some notes:

- I think Mariotas issues are more about insisting on fitting a square peg in a round hole. This offense is clearly not catered to his strengths. You all mentioned his confidence—why aren’t the coaches putting him in schemes that would build confidence. I know it’s a touchy subject on the board (pretty much has divided the board) but it needs to be considered that these coaches are hurting Mariota in the long term. 

- Davis clearly has a lot of talent— he’s making catches none of our WRs could make. Why do we insist on this run first offense when we have so much talent at the passing game. 

- Jags with a QB would be a Super Bowl contender. They are the Texans of the past few years. 

- We’re in the second tier of the AFC and barring a serious revision of our offensive scheme we will not compete against the Pats or the Steelers. 

With all the investment in offense and the poor results we’ve gotten, do you figure that JRob is putting pressure on Mularkey to revise the offense to fit his players? I know if we could we’d be a smashmouth team but we can’t and we’re not. I just hope we don’t go into the offseason blaming player execution on why our offense is going nowhere. Guarantee you if we don’t change we’ll be having this same convo next year.

8MM   
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Wouldn't you prefer a silenced voice?

No.  I love the twang in your voice.  Sounds like you should do a Nationwide commercial with Peyton.

Oilerman's audio was fine, good podcast, thanks guys. I want one thing from Mariota, more throw aways. To me on some occasions he either holds on too long or makes an ill advised throw. Throw it away.

Starting Henry could get him in the groove earlier and could get the o-line blocking better. We can't really run worse at the start of the game, worth a try.

Cheers, Tex

Edited by Tex in a Can

Justafan   

I thought you guys hit on the biggest stuff.  

Mariota needs to play better.  The scheme isn't perfect but we know that Mariota can thrive in it if he plays well.  The lack of a running game hurts everything else.  

Coaches deserve some criticism but for the most part have been solid.  I'm more concerned about the defensive scheme than the offensive one.  Though, admittedly, I'm still not a fan of the number of condensed formations and so many plays with limited routes and choices for Mariota.  

Blocking has been poor at several spots.  This is a huge problem that hasn't been discussed enough.  

Jonnu Smith, Eric Decker, Corey Davis, Murray, Lewan, Spain, Mariota and some of the other players have not been as good as we thought they would be.

WR core still has work to do.

Defense is going to struggle mightily against good QBs.

Running game will struggle until they bolster the middle of the line and replace Murray one way or another.

That's where I'm at right now and with a few minor deviations, I think you guys pretty much nailed it.  

OILERMAN   
51 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I'm more concerned about the defensive scheme than the offensive one.  

I heard one of the ESPN podcast with one of the analytical guys and he said there are two main concern areas for the Titans, QB play and pass defense. He said adjusted by opponent the Titans had the 3rd worst pass defense. The Titans back 7 is way too talented and healthy to be rated that poorly. 

Justafan   
11 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I heard one of the ESPN podcast with one of the analytical guys and he said there are two main concern areas for the Titans, QB play and pass defense. He said adjusted by opponent the Titans had the 3rd worst pass defense. The Titans back 7 is way too talented and healthy to be rated that poorly. 

Exactly.  The man blitz gets completely exposed against good QBs who can exploit matchups and especially when they have skill players that can consistently beat their guy one on one.

Look at what the Raiders were able to do.  The Steelers.  The Texans even.  

We've seen this defense at work for a few years now and we've seen guys like McCourty go from good CBs to bad CBs in this system, then go somewhere else and all of a sudden become good CBs again.

It's pretty obvious that they are simply asking too much of the secondary with the current scheme and it's hurting the pass defense, especially against good QB's.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this