TNF: The hope and fear, realized consecutively

Jamalisms

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a bit all over the map here, but...   Honestly, the first half was (almost) the hope while the second was definitely the fear. In the first half they stayed close and were competitive. M

good franchises dont keep coaches who let obvious young franchise QBs regress and be parts of systems that marginalize them. they rip the bandaid and go.     

Jeff Fisher was certainly stable for the Rams

Posted Images

Great write up @Jamalisms.

Mularkey is the Butch of the NFL. Thank you for putting out the dumpster fire but he's in over his head. Nothing about him screams to be head coaching competence. Fans called for Butchs head around a year and a half before he got the axe. I hope AAS doesn't let emotions get in the way of doing what's best for the franchise and its fans. 

I think DLB is more of the problem than Mularkey. I honestly want a new staff next year, but I wouldn't be too upset if we kept Mularkey and moved on from DLB. He is so married to his man coverage scheme no matter the opponent. When we go up against top flight WRs we get exposed. DeAndre Hopkins, Antonio Brown...who needs safety help? The games that we got blown out have been the games where the top WRs were left in man coverage. We don't even seem to make sure our top corner is on these guys. Just whoever happens to be across from them.

4 minutes ago, titantez said:

He looked like Locker last night and most of the season, in his 3rd year, I would hope he could do that.

Taking sacks every week when we are threatening to score, running backwards, eyeballing recievers, damn near jacked up the hand off to Jackson, not setting his feet and overthrowing  recievers, we been seeing this shit for 3 years now...

I disagree.  Whatever.

2 hours ago, tgo said:

Thank you. With all the doom and gloom around here you’d think we were headed for the first overall pick instead of headed for the playoffs. 

Don't get it twisted. I want Mularkey GONE. But that's not going to happen if they win the division. 

Winning the division this year will land Mularkey a 2 to 3 year extension. Wish it wasn't so, but it is.

That will lead to 2-3 more years a lot like this one. 7-9 to 10-6. 

Not bad.

But not good. 

The team will play hard.

Play with pride.

Do certain things well.

Flert with greatness. 

They will beat playoff team occasionally (KC last year, Seattle this year). Giving you the illusion that they are on the edge of breaking through......then they won't and we'll all rationalize it with "ifs".  

3 hours ago, scine09 said:

Where were you last week after the winning drive?

3 hours ago, titantez said:

He looked like Locker last night and most of the season, in his 3rd year, I would hope he could do that.

Taking sacks every week when we are threatening to score, running backwards, eyeballing recievers, damn near jacked up the hand off to Jackson, not setting his feet and overthrowing  recievers, we been seeing this shit for 3 years now...

Just wow

2 hours ago, NFLStudent said:

Don't get it twisted. I want Mularkey GONE. But that's not going to happen if they win the division. 

Winning the division this year will land Mularkey a 2 to 3 year extension. Wish it wasn't so, but it is.

Not bad.

But not good. 

The team will play hard.

Play with pride.

Do certain things well.

Flert with greatness. 

They will beat playoff team occasionally (KC last year, Seattle this year). Giving you the illusion that they are on the edge of breaking through......then they won't and we'll all rationalize it with "ifs".  

My fear exactly

19 hours ago, NFLStudent said:

Not bad.

But not good. 

The team will play hard.

Play with pride.

Do certain things well.

Flert with greatness. 

this was the fear with the mularkey hire and it is coming to realization. 

too many old oilers fans here just happy with not being terrible. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:41 PM, Rogue said:

It's unknown whether Marcus regression is because of the coaches.  None of us fools can say.  Marcus made some poor throws tonight.  Scheme or not, the QB has to make those throws in order to win.  

Mularkey probably gets a pass if we make it the playoffs, but I do think we need to be considering other options if Marcus continues to be so inconsistent.  

Ultimately, it's going to be harder to pull a franchise QB out of the middle to late 1st round pick than it will be to pull a new staff that might be able to get Marcus up to his potential (assuming it's really there).  I don't really want to do either, but at the end of the day, Marcus has to be given his chance and if it takes a staff change to give him that chance, that's what we have to do.  

ha!

just because you dont understand or see a pattern doesnt mean it is unknown. its god damn obvious. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:09 PM, Jamalisms said:

The most important thing right now (maybe the only truly important thing) is this:

Marcus hasn't progressed from year 2 to 3. If anything, it's been a step backwards and, no, it's not just about tonight.

Injuries (himself and WRs) hurt. No running game in an offense built around the run game hurts. OL regression hurts. But he's misreading defenses and just making mistakes of his own plain and simple.

The narrative writes itself: Developing a QB in a run first offense that prioritizes his legs, minimizes his passing and uses the scheme instead of the QB to beat defenses.... it's a bad idea. That's the narrative and I believe it because it's what I predicted at the outset... but whatever the issue is, they need to fix it. 

Marcus is the franchise's most valuable asset. He's shown extreme ability in his young career and there is zero excuse if he maxes out below really good and even that is a disappointment. They need to develop the kid and the evidence right now isn't promising.

Come the end of next year, the decision to move on from Mularkey will be an easy one unless things change. And they may well change because there's plenty of time. But right now? The way Marcus is playing is a fireable offense. Here's a golden ticket most coaches dream of. They need to get more out of him. Full stop.

Yep

Good teams rise and fall with the their starting QB's successes and failures. Marcus has some issues. Issues that can be fixed, in my opinion.  I think it's mental at this point. Whether or not it's injury related or roster related or scheme related is debatable. He hasn't forgotten how to play football. Personally I think it's in his head. Overthinking everything and putting too much on pressure himself. The staff needs to back off on the exotics and simplify the game plan until Marcus gets his confidence back. He's playing tentative. I hate the designed QB runs. I know why we do it but I think we can eliminate some of those without giving up much on offense.

Matthews should have been a big boost to Marcus/the game plan and he was the opposite. Delaney is our only reliable weapon at receiver. Decker can be productive but he isn't going to strike fear in any defense. Our receivers aren't getting separation and our QB is overthinking everything. We blew a chance at a road victory that was easily attainable. We could easily miss the playoffs if we play like we did yesterday on OFFENSE down the stretch. The defense is playing well but we are NOT a good team yet and we are running out of time.